Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Multiple users executing trace
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
galenbd
Is it possible for two hackers to individually trace a user, sharing data between them? Would that actually reduce the time?

I've been looking around for this for two days, both in the manuals and here on Dumpshock. I suspect search skilz are weak. If it's documented, a book and page reference would be appreciated.

Galen
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (galenbd @ Jul 8 2011, 08:00 AM) *
Is it possible for two hackers to individually trace a user, sharing data between them? Would that actually reduce the time?

I've been looking around for this for two days, both in the manuals and here on Dumpshock. I suspect search skilz are weak. If it's documented, a book and page reference would be appreciated.

Galen

Use a Teamwork Test... smile.gif
Aria
In a similar vein, is it possible to preempt a trace attempt (I now spoofing your data trail only works on an active trace...)?

There used to be ways of logging onto the matrix through satellites etc to foil trace attempts but it's a little less cut and dried in a wifi world isn't it? Other than a stealth program can you make it harder to track your icon back to your precious commlink?
Teulisch
proxy server, unwired p. 104

with this, they run a trace and then need to find the access log. so you want to have those logs go away as quickly as possible. and you can raise the tracking threshold by 4 for every -1 your willing to take to response.

so if you have 3 proxy servers, you set it to look like your hacking from location X, and route through Y and Z. your at -2 response, +8 threshold to be tracked, and once they find you they still need an access log. you could simply not have such data recorded, or plant false logs to direct them somewhere else entirely. it can be very difficult to trace a hacker who knows what hes doing.
Summerstorm
Also "Satellite Link". I think same page... or in the vicinity at least. It has a MASSIVE drawback on speed. (Was it half response or something...?)

There are two levels, one is the fast low-orbit satellite (not much response loss. but only available for 30 minutes and has a locating window of a few kilometers.

And the other is just straight up orbital: You can't be located for sure, because you could be in a HUGE area.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012