Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Patching
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DamienKnight
Pirated software degrades at a rate of 1 per month. To maintain the software (patch it) requires something like Software+Logic extended test, with a base time of 1 week. This means a moderately skilled programmer will be hard pressed to maintain more than 4 pirated programs per month, and that is really spending the equivalent of a full time job trying to patch them.

So... unless you are getting new pirated versions each month, your software degrades.

Someone wants to update the Commlink sheet (see Chargen thread in Community) to allow for pirated programs with degredation, but wants to standardize the cost of paying someone to patch software for you. I dont see the appeal... it seems like paying a programmer to work full time patching your software is going to be more expensive than just Buying the actual software.

Any ideas on a reasonable cost for this. Does the unwired book have this and I am missing it? (very likely)
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (DamienKnight @ Jul 8 2011, 03:55 PM) *
Pirated software degrades at a rate of 1 per month. To maintain the software (patch it) requires something like Software+Logic extended test, with a base time of 1 week. This means a moderately skilled programmer will be hard pressed to maintain more than 4 pirated programs per month, and that is really spending the equivalent of a full time job trying to patch them.

So... unless you are getting new pirated versions each month, your software degrades.

Someone wants to update the Commlink sheet (see Chargen thread in Community) to allow for pirated programs with degredation, but wants to standardize the cost of paying someone to patch software for you. I dont see the appeal... it seems like paying a programmer to work full time patching your software is going to be more expensive than just Buying the actual software.

Any ideas on a reasonable cost for this. Does the unwired book have this and I am missing it? (very likely)

Well, if you Rush a Job, You half the Interval...
If you use a Programming Environment, you half the Interval...
If you Spend Edge, You half the Interval (Optional Rule)...

So, that 1 Week Interval could be reduced to 3.5 Days, 1.75 Days, or even as low as 0.875 Days. That is, of course, assuming that you use a 7 Day week, rather than a 5 Day Work Week. Assuming 5 Days, you have 2.5 Days, 1.25 Days, or .625 Days. Work that out to Hours, and you have very little time invested to maintain those programs. Take a Sleep Regulator and you have an Additional 8 Hours per Day to do your programming.

Maintianing Programs is not all that Hard, since you will likely get the hits necessary in a Single Roll. After all, 1 to 3 Net Hits are all that is required to successfully patch a Program, dependant upon what type of program you are patching. smile.gif
TheOOB
You know, just because a program is illegal, doesn't mean it doesn't have the registration program option. Warez groups and pirate rings can make and sell programs that they provide the patches for.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (TheOOB @ Jul 8 2011, 04:38 PM) *
You know, just because a program is illegal, doesn't mean it doesn't have the registration program option. Warez groups and pirate rings can make and sell programs that they provide the patches for.

Indeed they can...
Udoshi
QUOTE (DamienKnight @ Jul 8 2011, 03:55 PM) *

Use the Official Shadowrun Missions Solutions. Should be in the missions faq.

PoliteMan
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 9 2011, 06:06 AM) *
So, that 1 Week Interval could be reduced to 3.5 Days, 1.75 Days, or even as low as 0.875 Days. That is, of course, assuming that you use a 7 Day week, rather than a 5 Day Work Week. Assuming 5 Days, you have 2.5 Days, 1.25 Days, or .625 Days. Work that out to Hours, and you have very little time invested to maintain those programs. Take a Sleep Regulator and you have an Additional 8 Hours per Day to do your programming.

I'm curious; is this RAW or a sane houserule? I haven't found anything in the books which allows you to reduce the interval, meaning patches require a week no matter how many die you roll.

As for patching:
#1 You don't buy the program again, you pay 10% of difference in ratings, which means you pay 100 nuyen a month for each hacking program.
#2 There's still good reasons to patch it yourself, pirated programs can be buggy or carry viruses,
#3 A drone with the proper autosoft can cheaply an effectively patch you programs.
hermit
#3 A drone with the proper autosoft can cheaply an effectively patch you programs.

Not anymore.
Elfenlied
Get an agent with replicate to do it for you? Replicate the agent as many times as you have pirated programs, and then let it roll to maintain the programs.
Aerospider
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jul 9 2011, 09:17 AM) *
Get an agent with replicate to do it for you? Replicate the agent as many times as you have pirated programs, and then let it roll to maintain the programs.

Using Agents p.234 SR4a: "Agents do not possess a Software skill".

Another way to cut down the demand on your time is to join a pirate network to trade your programs and patches for patches you still need. It's in the GM's hands as to how much is on offer, but theoretically this could reduce your programming time by up to half.
Makki
Do I have some kind of special Unwired version, or why does nobody quote this:
Unwired page 94. Chapter Piracy, right column, first paragraph.
Program updates and patches are also available on underground
file sharing networks and may be located in the same way. The cost for
program patches and updates (which restore the degraded program to
its full rating) is 10 percent of the difference in street cost between the
program’s current (degraded) rating and its full rating.

the only issues is the definition of "street cost". There was a thread about this a few weeks ago. The only reasonable interpretation is, street cost is the pirated software's price.

We used this since I played SR. You have a Connection to some Hacker underground or Warez Network, and pay them for there efforts of providing patches.
The cost adds usually up to something between a low or middle lifestyle and after 11 months it exeeds the cost of buying legit software, but this would be ridiculous for a Runner by RAW. Missions uses a house rule that gets rid off the Registration Option.
suoq
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jul 8 2011, 04:42 PM) *
Use the Official Shadowrun Missions Solutions. Should be in the missions faq.

Note that Season 3 does not mention piracy in the FAQ (unless I've missed something). Season 4 doesn't allow Piracy if I recall.

Other than that see Makki's post, above.

Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Jul 8 2011, 10:56 PM) *
I'm curious; is this RAW or a sane houserule? I haven't found anything in the books which allows you to reduce the interval, meaning patches require a week no matter how many die you roll.

What I posted above is RAW and is all in the Rules. The Edge Expenditure is an Optional Rule.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jul 9 2011, 01:17 AM) *

However, Machine Sprites are fully capable of doing this. Raw, at least. Machine sprites are capable of taking Any Autosoft as a complex form, and Replicate is an autosoft. And they most certainly do NOT have copy protection.
I do think that most gms would balk at the idea of an ever expanding machine sprite horde.

QUOTE (suoq @ Jul 9 2011, 11:44 AM) *
Note that Season 3 does not mention piracy in the FAQ (unless I've missed something). Season 4 doesn't allow Piracy if I recall.

QUOTE (Missions season 4 faq)
PDF link
CAN I PIRATE SOFTWARE? WHAT ABOUT
REGISTRATION AND PROGRAM DEGRADATION?
To simplify things, the short answer is no. Programs cannot be
copied, downloaded, or otherwise pirated. However, it is assumed
that all programs that players purchase have been stripped of their
Registration, and that they do not degrade over time.

Basically its the simple solution. Pay money, recieve program, it doesn't lose rating, you can't be tracked, and you can't cheese it to get it cheaply.
DamienKnight
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jul 9 2011, 05:04 PM) *
However, Machine Sprites are fully capable of doing this. Raw, at least. Machine sprites are capable of taking Any Autosoft as a complex form, and Replicate is an autosoft. And they most certainly do NOT have copy protection.
I do think that most gms would balk at the idea of an ever expanding machine sprite horde.

Basically its the simple solution. Pay money, recieve program, it doesn't lose rating, you can't be tracked, and you can't cheese it to get it cheaply.

Ding ding ding ding. Thats a winner there.
Makki
QUOTE (DamienKnight @ Jul 11 2011, 12:40 PM) *
Ding ding ding ding. Thats a winner there.

you know, that's a Missions house rule and not RAW. RAW is what I quoted and at least suoq seems to agree.
Afaik you try to keep your workbook at RAW and include everything from every book. Piracy (Unwired p94) is not an optional rule.

Just trying to be helpful frown.gif
suoq
QUOTE (Makki @ Jul 11 2011, 11:00 AM) *
RAW is what I quoted and at least suoq seems to agree.

Note: Do not assume, by the above, that I play by RAW. My only real use for RAW is as a starting point or as a core basis for discussions here. Once it hits the table, I don't expect it to be RAW anymore. I expect it to be cooked or at least half-baked.
Makki
QUOTE (suoq @ Jul 11 2011, 01:21 PM) *
Note: Do not assume, by the above, that I play by RAW. My only real use for RAW is as a starting point or as a core basis for discussions here. Once it hits the table, I don't expect it to be RAW anymore. I expect it to be cooked or at least half-baked.

I assume nobody plays 100% by RAW. every table makes changes. But RAW is the lowest common denominator and the basis from where everybody starts
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012