Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drones die a lot?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
longbowrocks
So, IIRC, Yermeyahu and maybe some others often state that drones are destroyed frequently and are expendable. What is your logic there? Here's the way I see it:

• Combat drones* have a condition monitor about as extensive as a sammy's (10).
  • Combat drones can get 9-12 armor and ignore any damage below that.
  • A large Combat drone can resist damage with more dice than a typical sammy (16).
  • Drones can be repaired to some degree or another.
  • Shouldn't you be allowed to repair a drone that overflows its physical damage monitor? I don't see any rules either way, but metal is rarely reduced to vapor (so you should be able to repair any damage).
  • People tend to generate more threat than drones in our sessions. How about you guys?

*I define combat drones as medium and large, since those are the most frequent sizes used for combat.
Mayhem_2006
Its most likely that they are destroyed frequently *because* they are expendable - ie, you can throw them into a suicide situation that a sammy would quite rightly balk at.

1st through a door that might have armed guards on the other side, first into a possibly mined/trapped area, abandoned to fight a rearguard action whilst a team escapes, or flown into the engines of the oppositions VTOL...
longbowrocks
That sounds like a very good reason. I've found myself adopting that train of thought quite often recently (my dragon obsession). I'd really prefer to mod my serious drones though.
Halinn
When in doubt, DGIF (Drones Go In First). Right up there with not making a deal with a dragon.
Yerameyahu
I don't think I actually said that, but… sure, to a certain extent they are expendable, and therefore get expended. I wouldn't say they die 'a lot', but given that players *never* die… They're cheaper than dying, after all. smile.gif

There's a big difference, of course, between a cheap spy drone, and a bloody Large Combat with maxed armor. If you're narrowing your question just to 'combat drones', don't be surprised it that changes the answer. You might as well ask if vehicles die a lot.
PoliteMan
A lot is philosophy. If you think drones are expendable, then you're going to have several cheap unmodified drones and a couple will be destroyed. If you think of drones as a serious investment, you'll have a few loaded out with heavy weapons, max armor, and plenty of autosofts and you'll rarely lose one.
Rubic
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 9 2011, 12:31 PM) *
I don't think I actually said that, but… sure, to a certain extent they are expendable, and therefore get expended. I wouldn't say they die 'a lot', but given that players *never* die… They're cheaper than dying, after all. smile.gif

There's a big difference, of course, between a cheap spy drone, and a bloody Large Combat with maxed armor. If you're narrowing your question just to 'combat drones', don't be surprised it that changes the answer. You might as well ask if vehicles die a lot.

I used to have to remind people of this in WoW when I played a hunter or Warlock. "Why did you try saving my pet?" "It was going to die." "Yes, but now you AND it are dead, and IT doesn't lose money or pick up debt."
Marwynn
I frequently healed and saved pets because sometimes, sometimes mind, they were more useful than their masters.

They're expendable because... they're expendable. I mean, they're robots! Sure they cost nuyen but no amount of money can bring you back to life (yet). And ironically, the non-lethal SnS ammo can (and does by RAW at least) be lethal against Drones.

CanRay
Drones can also make a deniable op even more deniable. If you find out who your Mr. Johnson is working for, and have the drones contain extensive parts from subsidiaries of their competitors (Or, be even more insulting, the Corp you're running against!), all bought on the black market to prevent tracking (Of course)... Leads to even bigger questions as to who is responsible.

Or, as a double-blind, the Mr. Johnson might provide drones that were stolen (publicly acknowledged and investigated thefts, too!) from their own Corp and use that as "An example of an attempt to darken the name of the Mother Corp and make us loose face."

Or, even worse, it's filled with so many secondary and aftermarket parts that you'd think every Corp got together to make it in the first place...
Rubic
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Jul 9 2011, 01:58 PM) *
I frequently healed and saved pets because sometimes, sometimes mind, they were more useful than their masters.

They're expendable because... they're expendable. I mean, they're robots! Sure they cost nuyen but no amount of money can bring you back to life (yet). And ironically, the non-lethal SnS ammo can (and does by RAW at least) be lethal against Drones.

unless it's otherwise in errata, electric damage just has a risk of shutting down the drone for a number of rounds
Randomonioum
QUOTE (Rubic @ Jul 10 2011, 01:42 AM) *
unless it's otherwise in errata, electric damage just has a risk of shutting down the drone for a number of rounds

Depending on where, and for how long, they are shut down, it could end up being lethal grinbig.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Jul 9 2011, 10:37 AM) *
(my dragon obsession)

Wait, what?
SpellBinder
QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Jul 9 2011, 09:55 AM) *
A lot is philosophy. If you think drones are expendable, then you're going to have several cheap unmodified drones and a couple will be destroyed. If you think of drones as a serious investment, you'll have a few loaded out with heavy weapons, max armor, and plenty of autosofts and you'll rarely lose one.

At least the autosofts are a one time investment; keep the original somewhere safe and copy to your drones as needed.
longbowrocks
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 9 2011, 05:12 PM) *
Wait, what?

Dragons are the worst offenders in the awakened group, so I they're one of the groups I focus most on when I rant against awakened.
TheOOB
Most good shadowrunners will only engage in combat if they are sure they will win, but a rigger is more likely to send their drones into a situation where the odds are not as sure, or even the odds are against them.
CanRay
QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Jul 9 2011, 11:55 AM) *
The flipside is that Drones are easier to repair than the Street Samurai.

We have the technology, we can rebuild them. nyahnyah.gif
LurkerOutThere
Personally i usually assume that once a drone is destroyed it's non repairable. I will look at vehicles and vehicle sized drones on a case by case basis.
KCKitsune
I would think that a middle of the road approach would be better. Have some tricked out drones as your main support, but have some cheap ass drones as expendable bullet shields/suicide units.
Elfenlied
Shouldn't you send in the spirits first in uncertain situations? They're even more deniable, since they cost jack squat.
LurkerOutThere
Actually spirits are way less deniable then drones in many ways I believe they have traces of your magical signature and if banished and rebound could then be ordered to fess up all your nasty little details, lead someone back to you or just flat out attack you secondly for most "normal" mages spirit drain is nothing to sneeze at and using your spirits as canon fodder might get you a poor reputation on the metaplanes making further uses problematic.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jul 10 2011, 07:29 AM) *
Shouldn't you send in the spirits first in uncertain situations? They're even more deniable, since they cost jack squat.

You mean besides the summoning / binding drain? And beside the possibility of having your GM saddle you with the Spiritbane quality for abusing your spirits?

QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Jul 10 2011, 12:31 AM) *
Dragons are the worst offenders in the awakened group, so I they're one of the groups I focus most on when I rant against awakened.

Ah, I see. Although I take your opinion with a grain bag of salt, due to some of the Weird Shit you've tried here on the forums.
Yerameyahu
smile.gif He just trying to learn the rules, Draco18s… while also indulging in a pretty odd obsession with magic.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Jul 9 2011, 09:31 PM) *

Which is interesting, since you cannot actually play a Dragon, and they are mostly there for Plot Device. They have no other real impact on a player at all... smile.gif
ggodo
He's like this in every RPG. Spellcasters are something he will never play.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 10 2011, 10:16 AM) *
smile.gif He just trying to learn the rules, Draco18s… while also indulging in a pretty odd obsession with magic.

He is the author of such threads as "How to Kill a Great Dragon" and "The 42 DP Sharpshooter."
Yerameyahu
I know. His method of learning the rules is 'post a thread about every ancient question and idea ever'. smile.gif It *is* an effective method, though. It's like getting help from Linux users. wink.gif
CanRay
"According to our highly-paid adviser, who is worth every cent because he has an expensive suit and briefcase and is from far away, we need some Eunuch Programmers. Please report to the company doctor to help with that." "I can already program a Unix box." "So you've already had the operation, excellent, that'll save on our costs! Get to work!"
ggodo
Yeah, see, that's what he does all day.
longbowrocks
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 10 2011, 05:49 AM) *
Although I take your opinion with a grain bag of salt

Yeah, I was kind of suggesting that. At least in regard to magic.
longbowrocks
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 10 2011, 07:31 AM) *
He is the author of such threads as "How to Kill a Great Dragon" and "The 42 DP Sharpshooter."

Isn't it past 60 DP now? Or are you not counting the optional redlining rule?
longbowrocks
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 10 2011, 08:07 AM) *
It's like getting help from Linux users. wink.gif

Like getting help from linux users on linux.
I'd hate to try getting an old school linux user to teach me windows terminal. The newer linux users might be better at it though. rotfl.gif
Blitz66
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Jul 10 2011, 10:17 PM) *
Isn't it past 60 DP now? Or are you not counting the optional redlining rule?

I believe Draco18s is simply referring to the thread's original title.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Blitz66 @ Jul 10 2011, 05:22 PM) *
I believe Draco18s is simply referring to the thread's original title.

Well, the first post. I just wanted to get the idea across. The thread's title was, "Sharpshooter Dice Pool" which isn't very informative in this context.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012