Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic, LoS and Sustaining
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Alexander Ni'Fairra
I have been having a rather long argument over the rules of magic, specifically invisibility. It has led to some problem areas.

Under previous editions of Shadowrun it was perceived that spells had to be maintained in LoS in order to function. That said the only mention of sustaining spells is on page 174 of core under step 7: "Ongoing effects stating that "Area affect spells have to be within LoS for the area to be moved." The area of rule-legal debate is over:

If a mage casts invisibility on himself, can he see himself?
If a mage casts invisibility on another can he still see them?
If a mage casts improved invisibility on a drone can it still see its limbs? (this happened during a shadowrun)
If a mage casts an invisibility spell on another person can they leave the room/LoS the mage is in?
If a mage casts an illusion on an area can they leave the area and have the illusion continue?

Any feedback would be very helpful, thank you.

Dakka Dakka
If a mage casts invisibility on himself, can he see himself?
Only if he resists the spell. All other senses including astral perception work fine though.

If a mage casts invisibility on another can he still see them?
As above

If a mage casts improved invisibility on a drone can it still see its limbs? (this happened during a shadowrun)
Only if the spell did not beat the OR, or the drone uses other input to obsserve its surroundings (like RADAR or Echolocation)

If a mage casts an invisibility spell on another person can they leave the room/LoS the mage is in?
Yes. Sustaining a spell does not require LOS

If a mage casts an illusion on an area can they leave the area and have the illusion continue?
As above
Summerstorm
Like he said.

I would also add to Invisi-drone: I is likely that a drone has a perfect sense for self-position. Wasting computational power on having to look at your hands to know where they are is wasteful. I guess they have internal sensors for that and automatically know their own positionings of limbs/pressure and force used against them.

So being invisible won't take down their sense of self and won't inflict a dice-pool penalty in my opinion. (The same as metahumans or animals - Yes you can be fooled about your own body... that is usually not the case though, or with too much impact)
whatevs
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Jul 10 2011, 12:27 AM) *
Yes. Sustaining a spell does not require LOS

As above

Based on the above, I'm assuming that sustaining a ritually cast spell after the ritual is over is also possible. <shifty eyes> That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Summerstorm
QUOTE (whatevs @ Jul 10 2011, 03:10 AM) *
Based on the above, I'm assuming that sustaining a ritually cast spell after the ritual is over is also possible. <shifty eyes> That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hm, sure... why wouldn't it? What's the point of cursing someone if you can't keep it going?
whatevs
QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Jul 10 2011, 03:00 AM) *
Hm, sure... why wouldn't it? What's the point of cursing someone if you can't keep it going?

It's just one of those things I've assumed all this time without really digging for more info on it. Glad I'm not taking the crazy pills.
Blitz66
I'm pretty sure that once you've made enough of a connection to cast the spell, you're good to sustain it until you have better things to do.
Machiavelli
PS: you donīt need to beat the OR to make "things" invisible. Just wanted to point it out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012