Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment: Down in the Barrens
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Redjack
I run several game threads with an average post of once per week, but run for years. This rate is too slow for many players to keep involved, but for those of us who usually post on a scheduled day this works well. Please be sure that this rate appeals to you before asking to be considered. Players who disappear during the *probationary period* find their characters meet with unfortunate accidents or simply get shot in the face, whisked away by elemental or whatever threat happens to be handy. Conversely, players who remain steady are rewarded with a rich, long-term game. Vacations, accidents, Internet connectivity issues occur. If you show us the common courtesy of letting us know when issues occur, we are very understanding. smile.gif

Currently there is one opening. The game has one other player: A street sam with amnesia. The game started with this character and two other characters have come on gone in the 2+ years this game has been running. I prefer well rounded characters to one trick ponies. The game is mostly low power, down and out characters. People who are just broken, that's why they are in the Redmond Barrens. Characters who fit the environment will be given higher consideration. If you wish to be considered, please submit a concept first. This game runs on the story, more than anything.

As you think through a character, shoot towards 390bp. I will award 10 additional BP to round out the character. You will also have a hacker called Athena as a starting contact [ C3 / L3 ]. She will take care of the hacking needs of the team.
----------------------------
Posting Format:
- - "Speech color=cyan, optionally enclosed in quotes"
- - <<Coms color=violet>>
- - Thoughts color=darkkhaki and in italics
- - Memories, flashbacks, dreams color=lightgrey and in italics
Feel free to use PMs as needed as well for clarifications or covert details.

NPC's
Do not assume the actions/reactions of anyone listed as contact. You can take reasonable artistic liberties with non-contact NPCs, but please PM me first if you engage in extended dialog. In the case of assumptions of time passed in travel, NPC reactions, etc I may ask for an edit. In the end, I will try not to impact your creativity where your post doesn't impact my world view. wink.gif

Dice Rolling
Please use http://invisiblecastle.com/rolldice.py. For campaign name, please use: Puyallups
The only rolls I will reserve are perception and assensing rolls. By knowing if the character glitches or the degree of success, then strategic information may be given away. All others will be made by the players, though sometimes for expediency I will make a series of rolls so that 9 seconds of combat doesn't take 4 months to post through.

Time away from the board
I would like to set an expectation of 1-2 posts per week. Real Life happens though. If a player will be AFK for more than a few days, just post in the OOC and give us a heads up. PM me instructions and I can remote your character in order that the game can continue with your pre-submitted actions. (We all know that sometimes you can take a week or two of vacation and still make most of a combat scene)
Redjack
Link to IC
Link to OOC
Seth
Here is a character that I liked very much for a game that never started. Umbra is here at 400 points, but it would be easy to knock him back to 390.

Umbra link to spreadsheet
[ Spoiler ]

Backstory
This is the backstory for a Chicago game. If you like the idea of the character, it will be easy to tweak Umbra for the Barrens.
[ Spoiler ]
Redjack
Interesting. Give me a history for him in the Barrens. I'd like to also know where/how he got a weapon focus cyber weapon. You can PM that if you'd like to keep it secret.. I also need to know his bias.
Seth
Interesting. Give me a history for him in the Barrens. I'd like to also know where/how he got a weapon focus cyber weapon. You can PM that if you'd like to keep it secret.. I also need to know his bias.

OK Will do. I'll post later tonight, as I want to put a little effort into the background.

Seth
@Redjack,
Do you have in mind a community in the Barrens that this game is set around? I'd like to weave my character's history around that if possible.

Seth
Here is Umbra's backstory based around the Barrens. I can change it from Touristville to some other area if its more convenient for the campaign.

As far as bias goes: Umbra is fiercely loyal and protective. He is not interested in money (I'm not sure that he really understands what money is, although he understands that it can be exchanged for goods and services). He is mostly driven by what Rat thinks is the "right thing to do". Rat has told him that he needs to have some human friends, so at the moment Umbra is looking for acquaintances. I anticipate a lot of Umbra's friends being the wino's, BTL addicts and dropouts that aggregate in the Barrens. I'm not sure of the flavor of the game you are after: survival, running, social mobility, and I will endeavor to fit in with which ever style others want.

[ Spoiler ]

Umbra as I posted him above was based on 600 Karma, rather than BP, so I will redo him with the guidelines you gave earlier.
Redjack
Interesting back story, it can work, though I'm still not sold on the cyber-weapon as a weapon-foci. I take it your prejudice is wage-slave/people in business suits? Also I would see the Mayor as a connection rating 4. How about a Knight Errant Police sergeant? That would be a solid connection rating 3, plus would make more sense for the loyalty to be at a 3 and the access to that sgt would be much better than a mayor... especially for someone with no com.

For a location, Touristville is as good as anything. The game is just outside Touristville, #150 on the map is where Val is currently based. This game could easily start moving in and out of the Barrens as Val begins to remember/discover elements of his life though. Rather than the hacker contact, give him Hatter [ Loyalty: 4 ] as a contact. This will also work him into the story pretty quickly.

Hatter: Troll Former-Street Sam [ Connection Rating: 2 ]
Hatter lives in Redmond northeast of the Touristville. Some time in the past, he was probably as shadowrunner, at least by his ware he had to have been. These days he's a little off in the head (ergo: Mad Hatter) and during delusional periods makes conversational references to Alive in Wonderland and various other children stories, fitting context as only he could hope to understand. He wanders about keeping to an area no more than a dozen blocks in any direction. He gets very agitated quickly with rude, bad-mannered people to the point of violence. To those who don't ruffle his feathers, he is a gentle giant. In his periods of lucidity, he can be quite the conversationalist and local residents find him to be well meaning and have 'adopted' him, insuring he is fed.
Seth
  • No problem with the cyber weapon. I'll drop it (the points will be welcome). I'm curious why you think its odd, but maybe that's a discussion for the main forum.
  • I agree with the Sergeant at C4, (although I like the Mayor: he gave me a medal!)
  • I like not having a hacker as a contact: I just don't interact with that world. I suspect Mr Hatter and I get on just fine.

I'll post a first draft character later today.
Thanee
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jul 12 2011, 09:56 PM) *
...though I'm still not sold on the cyber-weapon as a weapon-foci.

What's the problem there?

It's a blade like any other, just "mounted" differently.

If it isn't a problem with having a weapon focus in a low-powered barrens game in general, I really don't see why a hand blade couldn't be made as a weapon focus when a normal blade can. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Redjack
QUOTE (Thanee @ Jul 13 2011, 02:19 AM) *
If it isn't a problem with having a weapon focus in a low-powered barrens game in general
I guess I wasn't being clear. Its not that its not possible, its that the back story doesn't support it. The back story really seems to support a more conventional weapon foci... I was trying to think of a way to integrate it into the back story without compromising the humble beginnings of the character but could not without a big slice of cheese.
Thanee
Ah. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Seth
Here is Umbra sans Cheese

Backstory
[ Spoiler ]

Character:
Rules Used: BP 390. No free contacts.
Spreadsheet with all the details
[ Spoiler ]

Common die pools
[ Spoiler ]
Redjack
I did a deep dive on the character. Looks like this will be interesting. Several notes for adjustment:
- The Adepts and Geasa optional rule from Street Magic pg 31 is not in effect.
- I have a house rule that if you augment form fit armor, it can no longer be stacked.
- The criminal SINner and fame and contact all combined give pause from your back story. I could definitely see Umbra getting a SIN for his efforts against the insects, then having a police sgt contact and him not knowing that he has a criminal SIN... How about SIN(5) and Enemy(5) instead?

Other notes:
- I like your adaptation of the dependent quality. This will play well into the game.
- Audio enhancement R3 on your ear buds give you +3dp for audio perception tests
- Take Hatter [ C2/L4 ] as a free contact and Zipper [ C2 / L3 ]

Zipper - Ork gang member, Crimson Crush
Umbra's older half brother, Zipper isn't much for family get togethers and such. He is loyal enough though and has helped Umbra out in the past. Truth be known he keeps in touch with Umbra as much as the benefits to him as well as those to Umbra. In the end, it serves both the orks well enough.
Seth
I take your point about the criminal SIN. Enemy (5) looks good: can you pick a suitable enemy that fits in the game?
I have adjusted the spreadsheet, If you are happy with it I will adjust the earlier post.
Changes:
Adept powers:I lost the walk without trace and improved tracking.
Armour: Noted and lost the modifications.
With the reduction in cash, I now have enough for a specialization: Urban infiltratation

I have no idea how Umbra will actually work out, but I think it will be fun to find out.

Redjack
On the points you used enemy(10). I think I'd like to have this enemy present himself close to the opening scene, if you are ok with a surprise enemy?
Also, you listed 5bp for your contact but I thought the KE Sgt is a [ C3, L3 ]?

While we tweak out these last few details, I will write you into the game today.
Seth
Take Hatter [ C2/L4 ] as a free contact and Zipper [ C2 / L3 ]

I just set the points to 5 for Zipper, as Hatter was free. I
Eek a 10 point enemy. Very dangerous. Ok we will run with it.
Redjack
I think we crossed streams; I'm in an accommodating mood though.
Pay for Hatter the troll former street sam(5)
KE Sgt Nelson [ C3/L3 ] is free
Zipper the 1/2 brother gang member is free.

You have 2bp left. Buy Specialization: Urban infiltration. Finally take one more free contact. BP all spent.

Arkansas - Dwarven Rat Shaman [ C2/L4 ]
Arkansas looks the same as when Umbra met him a decade ago. The crotchety, stinky dwarf makes frequent treks into the Plastic Jungle and other times sneaks around the English Hill and Cottage Lake slums.
Seth
Woot
You nice GM you.
Its late here in the UK, so I will sort out the sheet tomorrow. Looking forwards to playing.
Redjack
More contacts = better story... We see if your opinion is still high after you meet your enemy. wink.gif
Redjack
Ok. Let's move the conversation over to the OOC Thread.
Third post down is Umbra. I'll update money and Karma from there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012