Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First time runner looking for advice
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Symber
Hello all, this is my group's first time running SR and we're really looking forward to it. I was hoping to get a little character advice. I found a pretty good excel spreadsheet that fills things out as you go, but I wanted to be sure that I don't have any glaring mistakes. I'm pretty open to suggestions too. My goal is to be powerful enough to keep the min/maxers in my group in check should the need arise (they're under mind control etc). The other runners are a Face, a Gunslinger Adept and a Rigger.

First I have one question before I get into the character sheet. My runner is a magician that has attempted running once before, almost got killed/is badly burned. Due to this I took Physical Mask and a Sustaining Foci. In theory the foci keeps the spell maintained on him keeping his old normal physical appearance. Is this something likely to make him a target and/or get him killed?

Here's his sheet:
[IMG=http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/3637/miragei.png][/IMG]

He also has a trained pet fox. I've also been toying with the idea of staying invisible with the fox around so people think he is a fox shifter or just another runner's pet fox until they gain his trust. This I imagine would draw the same kind of magical attention as the Mash would.

Edit: Almost forgot! We're playing 4th using the 20th Anniversary core rulebook, Arsenal, Runner's Companion, Running Wild & Street Magic. We have 407 (I know weird number, eccentric GM) build points. I think that's all for now.
CanRay
I'd suggest not putting points into binding spirits, but put them into contacts instead. A Fixer for sure, but other suggestions can be made as well.

It's easier to spend the cash and get binding material and bind what you need for the game as it comes than it is to spend the BP on them at character creation. Contacts tend to last longer than Spirits.
Symber
Thank CanRay. Took your advice, added a Fixer contact and dumped the bound spirits. Nicely freed up some BP too.
KCKitsune
Also Symber, you can't put a Datajack in your cyber ears. Only cyberear gear can go in there.

Also, careful with the Used Alpha gear. Some GM's don't like the "Something for nothing" loophole.

Why does this guy have a laser designator in his eyes? Save the space for a Smartlink. A smartlink plus pistol 1 with a specialization with semi-autos will give you 7 dice for shooting, but with Stick and Shock that should be nice as a backup.

Also why does this guy have a shotgun with an underslung grenade launcher when he has no skill with either?

He also has Hacking at 4 without any of the software to do hacking with.

Finally, don't get Increased Sensitivity ear 'ware, get Audio Enhancement 1. It gives you everything that Increased Sensitivity does, but also adds +1 to Listening Dice pool and is only 500 nuyen.gif more expensive.
LostProxy
Where does it say you can't put a data jack into your ear? I don't see any rules or errata that say that.

What is your essence? Seems like your magic shouldn't be 5 with all that ware. Speaking of ware it really seems like you fit more into those eyes then what is possible. Check the Capacity of your gear again.

You're over the quality limit. Magician + Focused Concentration 2 + Astral Chameleon + Mentor spirit = 45 BP. The limit for Positive/Negative qualities is 35 of both.

Faraday
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 12 2011, 10:49 AM) *
Also why does this guy have a shotgun with an underslung grenade launcher when he has no skill with either?
This is a good spot, stick to pistols.

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 12 2011, 10:49 AM) *
He also has Hacking at 4 without any of the software to do hacking with.
I think he doesn't know what hacking really does. (New to shadowrun and all that). That said, what he really wants isn't hacking, but the hardware skill. It's what allows you to mess with physical sensor systems and alarms. Drop the commlink stats too, save yourself a boatload of nuyen on stuff you won't be using anyway. (Keep the nice firewall, though)

Note that if you wanted to be a real hacker, you'd need the programs for it, which generally runs about 60k nuyen for all the goodies.

QUOTE (LostProxy @ Jul 12 2011, 11:10 AM) *
What is your essence? Seems like your magic shouldn't be 5 with all that ware. Speaking of ware it really seems like you fit more into those eyes then what is possible. Check the Capacity of your gear again.
As far as I can tell, his essence is exactly 5. Remember that the lower of bioware/cyberware essence costs is halved.
QUOTE (LostProxy @ Jul 12 2011, 11:10 AM) *
You're over the quality limit. Magician + Focused Concentration 2 + Astral Chameleon + Mentor spirit = 45 BP. The limit for Positive/Negative qualities is 35 of both.
I think he missed the fact that mage is a quality.
Symber
Good to know on the Datajack. Just a flaw in the spreadsheet I presume. I'll fix it.

I ran the Used Alpha gear past the GM and he ok'ed it, but if this is something I shouldn't be doing I can change that too. He's new as a SR GM so I'd rather help him keep things balanced.

The eye laser system was mainly for gathering intel, but really not that useful. I think I just had some more slots to fill. I like the Smartlink idea instead and it makes him a bit more useful in gun combat. The shotgun was mainly just for show, very visible. Trying to avoid standing out as a mage as much as possible since I hear its unhealthy and attracts bullets.

Hacking was an oversight on my part. He actually has a com with hacking programs and the like, it just wasn't included in the printout for some reason.
[img]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/mirage2.png/[/img]

Switched out the IS 'ware for AE1. Thanks again, very helpful =)
LostProxy
QUOTE (Faraday @ Jul 12 2011, 11:12 AM) *
As far as I can tell, his essence is exactly 5. Remember that the lower of bioware/cyberware essence costs is halved.

Riiight, forgot.

But seriously can someone point out where it says I can't put datajacks in my ears?
KCKitsune
QUOTE (LostProxy @ Jul 12 2011, 02:10 PM) *
Where does it say you can't put a data jack into your ear? I don't see any rules or errata that say that.

As for not being able to put Headware into your ears... I thought that only cyberear accessories could be put into a cyberear. If I'm mistaken then I apologize.

As for his Essence, this character is legit. The used Alpha is what allows him to squeeze all that into .992 Essence.

@Symber: The amount of armor that your character is wearing is too much. Even with Formfitting Body Armor (full suit) you can only get 9 Ballistic armor without encumbrance. The Sustaining Foci will only allow you to hold a Rating 1 Armor Spell.
Symber
QUOTE (LostProxy @ Jul 12 2011, 01:10 PM) *

5.018 essence (if everything was good as it was when I posted). Eyes say rating 4 (modded) with capacity of 16/16 availability 12.

Looks like the sheet doesn't add in Magician to the qualities, I'll drop FC to 1 instead of 2.
KCKitsune
Standard rating 4 cybereyes have a Essence cost of 0.5 and have a capacity of 16. They also come with Eye Recording System and DisplayLink for free.

Standard rating 1 cyberears have a Essence cost of 0.2 and have a capacity of 4. They come with AudioLink and Ear Recording unit for free.
Symber
Thanks for the tips. I think this ironed out a lot of the kinks and pointed out some big oversights in the character generation sheet I was using. =)
Udoshi
QUOTE (LostProxy @ Jul 12 2011, 12:18 PM) *
Riiight, forgot.

But seriously can someone point out where it says I can't put datajacks in my ears?

Basically, there are different kinds of Capacity, and they are not interchangable. Eyeware capacity for Eyeware, Earware for earware.

I think the actual rules text is in the Cyberlimb description. Cyberlimbs are notable for being able to put certain Bodyware and Headware(but not eye or ear) in limb space.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012