Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big, Heavy, Large, Insane Amounts of Armor
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Apathy
I've got pcs that want themselves and their vehicles to be undentable. With this in mind they layer on 8/8 or more in personal armor and ridiculously high amounts of vehicle armor on their trucks and drones (6 - 10 points hardened).

Is there any effective limit to what they can put on at chargen?

Also, if I remember correctly, the extra weight associated with adding armor makes handling tests more difficult. Is this correct, and what does it do exactly?
sidartha
I don't have R3.5 so I'm not exactly sure but I think in R3 there were rules under the customizations how armor affected handling. I do know that the Cargo and Load restrict how much armor you can have.
As far as people look in the main book under the equipment section as I remember most of the rules for personal armor being there.
Third thing, Load up the opposition with APDS rnds "Where's your armor now!!" nyahnyah.gif
Austere Emancipator
Every 6 points of Vehicle Armor (or part thereof) adds 1 to the Handling ratings of a vehicle. R3, p. 131 under Armor (Vehicle). Nothing serious, really.

Just remember that Grand Dragon ATGMs are dirt cheap and easy to get for anyone who really needs one. And against people with heavy armor but not that special Body, just use shotguns.

Curious: How did they get 8/8 armor on themselves without problems with the Quickness cap? Or are they all sammies/physads with extremely high QUIs?

Vehicle armor is indeed really fricken heavy, though, which should definitely be kept in mind. (Body^2) x 5 kilograms makes armoring trucks slightly problematic at times.
Apathy
sidartha: Thanks, I hadn't thought about checking load ratings (doh!)

As far as the personal armor goes, I'll let them do that, and mainly punish it as a social issue ("I'm sorry sir, you can't come in like that. Would you mind visiting the coat check girl?")

APDS rounds wouldn't fit in for the recent runs (swarms of bug spirits), but they might come in handy later.
Apathy
Curious: How did they get 8/8 armor on themselves without problems with the Quickness cap? Or are they all sammies/physads with extremely high QUIs?
  • They have high quickness (6+)
  • FFBA doesn't count against the quickness cap
  • You have to be 2 points above your quickness before it actually starts to effect you.

Austere Emancipator
Still, could I see the numbers? Just comparing to the numbers you usually see in the Armor Min/Max threads that seems a bit much. So either I'm missing out on some minmax goodness, or there might be a flaw somewhere.

You can also interpret the body armor rules in SR3 so that you only get protection from the 2 pieces of armor with highest ratings. Many do.
Zazen
You have to be 2 points above your quickness before it actually starts to effect you.

If they're layering, then it only takes one point to give them a penalty to all quickness-related tasks (pistols, etc.) as well as a reduced movement rate.
Shockwave_IIc
But thats only ballistic no? still a point mind.
Austere Emancipator
So it seems, Ballistic only. Achieving 8 will require the total Ballistic rating for this purpose to be higher than 6, however, assuming there are more than 2 pieces of armor (which is probably the case, because I'm not aware of any legal canon armor with a Ballistic rating of 6).

Which is a non-issue if you limit it to the 2 highest ratings.
A Clockwork Lime
I'm pretty sure armor is no different -- you always round down, so you have to beat Quickness by two points to get the penalty, not one.

In any case, since vehicle armor comes in ratings, you can apply the "max rating of 6" that all starting characters have to abide by. And they can only do it as a customization to a vehicle (designing a vehicle is technically a GM-only function in Rigger 3), so they have to make sure the vehicle has the available CF and Load for the armor. If they're not using Concealed Armor, they're also going to run into a lot of problems with the law if they go anywhere outside the Barrens. Who knew Lone Star would have a problem with an obviously heavily armored van rolling around Downtown?

And as others pointed out, a single Great Dragon ATGM will take down most heavily armored civilian vehicles. 20D Anti-Vehicular rockets tend to do that.
Austere Emancipator
Great Dragons actually take down any and all vehicles they can hit, except perhaps the tanks in SOTA (don't have that book). Those things practically laugh at any armor of less than rating 20.

The QUI penalty for layering armor is calculated by adding together the total Ballistic ratings of all worn armor and comparing that to the char's QUI. For each point the total exceeds QUI, you get +1 on tests and all the other penalties. There's no division there, so even a single point above QUI gives you a penalty of 1.
A Clockwork Lime
Unless there's errata that I'm unaware of, it's every 2 points it exceeds Quickness as per page 285 of Shadowrun 3rd Edition for the Combat Pool penalty, which is what I was meaning to point out. Sorry for not making that more clear.

And yeah, it will take out most vehicles. But military/police vehicles can more easily be bumped up to Armor 20 if they really need to, including Ares Roadmasters.
Austere Emancipator
Well, to be exact, you'd need an armor rating of 30 to make a real difference. 6D or above and a vehicle is pretty screwed DamRes-wise.

For the CP penalty, it is indeed per 2 points. You add up those parts of Ballistic and Impact ratings that exceed the char's QUI, divide it by two rounding down and reduce that from CP. Ball9/Imp7/QUI6 leads to a 2-point penalty in CP, as per the 10th corrected printing.
RedmondLarry
There are two different penalties here. One is sum of Ballistic vs. Quickness to determine penalties to Quickness and Quickness-linked skills. Every 1 point counts here. The other is the penalty to Combat Pool, every 2 full points of Ballistic AND Impact count there.

The characters only get benefit from the two pieces of armor with the highest Ballistic Rating (and only half benefit from one), and the two pieces of armor with the highest Impact Rating (again, only half benefit from one). Plus they add helmets and forearm guards and shields at full value. However they get penalties from all pieces of armor, at full value, with the exception of FFBA or other things that have special rules. Helmets and forearm guards do count at full value for determining penalties.

It's very hard for someone to have 8/8 armor, without also having lots of penalties AND looking like something that everyone should run away from screaming the "North Hollywood Bank Robbers are here!"

Apathy, can you describe how they get the 8/8 armor?

As far as the Vehicle armor goes, at some point they start to look like those old Armored Cars that would stop at banks and Jewelry stores. Luckily those went away when we shifted to electronic currency.
A Clockwork Lime
Armor rating 30? How do you figure? Armor rating 20 or 21 (depending on how you want to read the rules) makes it completely immune to Great Dragon ATGMs. That's the perk of hardened armor. Anti-vehicular ammo doesn't change the fact that you still have to beat the Armor Rating to affect it, which is why loading up a Light Pistol with AV ammo isn't going to do you a lick of good on a vehcile with Armor 6.

Or is there (again) something I'm missing?
Austere Emancipator
Holy crap, really? I never thought of it like that.

Well, as they say: Not In My Game.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE ("Sr3 pg149")
the power of the AV munitions is reduced by half the armour rating(round down the armour ratingbefore calculating the power of the AV munitions attack) If the AV power rating does not exceed the reduced armour rating, the weapon does no damage

So a Ceska with AV ammo can hurt up to armour 11 vehicles. biggrin.gif

damn my bad thought it did 7L, but no....
RedmondLarry
Due to Shockwave's change to his post, my post is unneeded, and is hereby removed.
Austere Emancipator
Well, so is this.
RedmondLarry
Due to Shockwave's change to his post, my post is unneeded.
Austere Emancipator
And this one too.
A Clockwork Lime
Ah, in that case I guess it does require at least Armor 40-41 to stop a Great Dragon. Weird. I could have sworn that the entire point of AV ammo was that it didn't get manipulated by the fact that you were using it against a vehicle, unlike regular ammo. Stupid overcomplicated rules and piss-poor memory. nyahnyah.gif biggrin.gif
Zeel De Mort
8/8 Armour:

Armour Jacket (5/3)
Armour Vest with plates (4/3)
Hard Hat (0/1)
Titanium Bone Lacing (1/1)
Dermal Sheath 3 (0/2)

For a total of 8/8. Okay you'd look like an idiot with a hard hat on, but you guys just wanted to know how to get 8/8. smile.gif There's one way to do it then, there are plenty of others.

Obviously you need a pretty high quickness to get 8/8 without penalty.

Or you could go for..

Winterised Coverall (4/4)
FFBA 3 (4/1)
Hard Hat (0/1)
Titanium Bone Lacing (1/1)
Orthoskin 3 (1/2)

For 8/8 and minimal quickness, but you'd still look like a tit..

[Edit] If you can't take cyber/bioware, replace it with a Large Riot Shield (2/3) and lots of quickness. Again, see above about not looking so great while doing so though. biggrin.gif
TheOneRonin
Actually, 8B is not that hard to get to, even if it is a little cheesy.

Armored Jacket (5/3) + FFBA (4/1) = 7/3. Then toss in Orthoskin lv 2 (+1B/+1I) or Titanium Bone Lacing (+1B/+1I). Throw in both of those mods, and you get 9/5 with no penalties for Qck of 5 or greater. I don't know if it says this in the book, but I would assume that the bonus ballistic points you get from Orthoskin and Bone lace do NOT count against your total ballistic rating for quickness penalties.

I'd appreciate it if you guys out there could check my math and mechanics, but I think I'm dead on.
Shockwave_IIc
I always thought you got a minimum of 1 pt off of a second layer (assuming it had a value to start with)
Rev
Yea 8/8 is no huge problem for a sam, but the original poster said his entire group had 8/8 or higher. I suppose they could all be using armor spells and sustaining foci and cyber and bioware.

Also an obviously armored vehicle is going to attract a lot of attention. The concealed armor is quite a bit harder to install (lots of CF I think).
Modesitt
If you're aiming for pointlessly high armor and your GM says only 2 layers, mosey on over to the cyberlimbs and armor section(Body plating). After the cost of the limb, 2.5 ECU and 12,500 equals +1 armor of your choice. An armored jacket, FFBA, and a synthetic cyberleg can get you up to 7/7. Go obvious and you can add 4 more points where you want it, taking you to 9/9 without breaking a sweat.

Cyberarmor ballistic bonuses count for the purposes of calculating quickness penalties, but cyberarmor is 'cumulative', meaning they just get added on top like shields. It's not impossible to get your impact to 30+ with the help of an excessive amount of impact cybearmor, although what you'd NEED that much impact for is something else entirely. Maybe if you're on a bomb squad.

I encourage people to point out flaws in my rules-fu. Pertinent pages are 35-36 M&M.
Shockwave_IIc
haven't you got to divid your cyber armour total by 5 or something to get an average?
Apathy
the original poster said his entire group had 8/8 or higher

Sorry for the confusion. If I said this then I mis-spoke. Not all my PCs have quite this much armor, but 2 of them (street sam and combat mage) do.

Street sam is the stereotypical speed sam on crack night one with a quickness of 8, so penalties aren't going to apply there. Combat mage has quickness 6.

I haven't GM'd it up to now that they only got to layer one piece of armor past the first. I'll make that the rule after this campaign's done.
techboy
QUOTE (OurTeam)
There are two different penalties here. One is sum of Ballistic vs. Quickness to determine penalties to Quickness and Quickness-linked skills. Every 1 point counts here.

Only if you're layering.

As to the rest of it, I can personally vouch for the fact that the ENTIRE group doesn't have 8/8 armor, since my character only has 7/4, which is a specially customized vest with plates (which has had the plates individually removed and dikoted- 5/4), and of course, his shadowrunner underwear (4/1).

Of course, 8/8 could just be hyperbole. Maybe he was really talking about the insane amount of armor the shaman/face/B&E guy wears. I mean, really... 7/4! And how munchkin is it to dikote a vest with plates? Please!
techboy
QUOTE (Apathy)
I haven't GM'd it up to now that they only got to layer one piece of armor past the first. I'll make that the rule after this campaign's done.

All right! Bonanza!

Why didn't I hear about this sooner?

Sign me up for the punching bag special!

The way the aforementioned two can act, I may need it.

APDS indeed.

Seriously though, even if you don't want to start enforcing the 2 layers only rule now, you can certainly start tacking on the other penalties. Those are laid out in the book explicitly.
Eyeless Blond
FFBA? What is this, and how does one get such munchkin-ness?
Apathy
FFBA? What is this, and how does one get such munchkin-ness?

Form Fitting Body Armor (AKA shadowrunner underwear or shadowrunner underoos.)

It's actually a hugely good deal, and not that expensive. I don't think of it as munchkin, since it's explicitely laid out in Cannon Companion, and is such a good deal that anybody who could afford it would want one.
BitBasher
It's actually called Combat Underwear in my game. biggrin.gif
BewilderedGM
So whats the take on and Armor Jacket and a sustained Armor spell (Force6)?
The mage in question also sustains a levitate spell btw
Panzergeist
I think it's every 6 points, rounded down, not up. As for the Grand Dragons, does anyone else think that missile was invented by the KKK?
Modesitt
Haven't you got to divid your cyber armour total by 5 or something to get an average?

Yes. You have to add up your points of armor and divide by 5.

Each point of body plating is .5 ECU and 2,500 nuyen. If you have an obvious cyberleg filled with body plating, you would have a total 40 points of body plating. If it was all impact, you would take 40+body plating and divide by 5, giving you 8.

This comes to why I mentioned in the first one that every 2.5 ecu and 12,500 nuyen gets you another bonus point of armor. All that matters is how high a multiple of 5 you can get your body plating.

The rules don't care if you have 5 points on one limb or 1 point on 5, it's the same thing except for when someone does a called shot(And know that I've spoken The Forbidden Words, this thread will violently implode on itself).
BewilderedGM
QUOTE (BewilderedGM)
So whats the take on and Armor Jacket and a sustained Armor spell (Force6)?
The mage in question also sustains a levitate spell btw

Not sure panzer answered me or someone else, since Im tired and have been at work now for 10 hours (2 hours to go yay!)

But my example wouldn't that be 11/9 armor with no modfiers for ppl with Quickness 5?
I mean a jacket and a forcefield cant really be considered layering can it?
I kinda hope so, cuz I wanna hit that mage without it seeming like "a hit" LOL
techboy
QUOTE (BewilderedGM)
[QUOTE=BewilderedGM,Mar 29 2004, 07:49 PM]
But my example wouldn't that be 11/9 armor with no modfiers for ppl with Quickness 5?

Yes. There would be no penalties even if he was quickness 4.

In a sense, you should be grateful. If my aforementioned shaman bothered to cast a force 6 armor, he'd have 13/10.

You'd just better hope your player never finds out about Shadowrunner underwear.
RedmondLarry
The character does glow, with the Armor spell. If sustained, Lonestar may notice and ask for evidence of a permit for such a powerful spell.
BewilderedGM
Yeah Im gonna have to start pulling out the "social" sideeffects of my players gearing this heavy up.
The oldest player in my group has heavy sec armor (from before max rating was spotted by me) get the sam to 8/8 (ish?) with dermal3 and body6 hes a pretty tough nut(t) to crack also.

Ive been going pretty easy on them with regards to the Star, I think they'll have to show up abit earlier now than just when combat is over 3 mins ago
BitBasher
Physical Armor can be pretty concealable, but since the armor spell make sa crackling field of energy around th eperson full time, ill give them credit for either being brave or stupid for keeping it up the whole time. biggrin.gif
Shadow
Social side effects? Try legal. You walk down the street in sec armor you better have a good lawyer cause your hoop is going to jail. If these guys are walking around in broad daylight like this, have them arrested. Have their car seized, their guns seized, have everything attached to the credstick they are carrying seized. The heavy armor comes on only, and I stress the only, before the actual run. Now sometimes that's unavoidable, you need extra protections, great. Get a secure jacket, some armored underwear and you got yourself 6 points, and the man won't be pulling you over.
toturi
QUOTE (Shadow)
Social side effects? Try legal. You walk down the street in sec armor you better have a good lawyer cause your hoop is going to jail. If these guys are walking around in broad daylight like this, have them arrested. Have their car seized, their guns seized, have everything attached to the credstick they are carrying seized. The heavy armor comes on only, and I stress the only, before the actual run. Now sometimes that's unavoidable, you need extra protections, great. Get a secure jacket, some armored underwear and you got yourself 6 points, and the man won't be pulling you over.

Only if you do not flash a FBI/Military Police Badge at them and tell them to mind their own juri-theirass-diction and have your decker spin up a good FBI/MP ID. biggrin.gif That's what my fellas do,"Bugger off, Star. Dis the gummint's party and ya ain't invited."

Or try having extraterritoriality. Get yourselves IDs as the bodyguards of some backside Pacific island country's ambassador. The last time I checked, vehicles with diplomatic plates were off-limits to the police, the host country may PNG, but it would be after the fact.
DigitalMage
So just to summarise - apply teh penalties appropriately. I believe FFBA only aplies to one aspect (either the CP penalty or Quickness penalty, can't remember which way round). Also a full body suit of FFBA includes a hood - and I would argue that if this isn't worn then it isn't a full suit!

Also remember that when calculating the CP and Quickness penalties it is the total armour ratings that count (not the final effective B/I ratings, i.e. a 5/3 jacket layered with a 4/3 lined coat gives 7/4, but for purposes of determining CP and Quickness penalties the total ratings are 9 and 6.

Combat Pool Loss (applicable for any armour, even if not layered):
[(Total Ballistic ratings – Quickness) + (Total Impact ratings – Quickness)] / 2 (rd)

Quickness penalties (only applicable when layering):
Skills TN Modifier: + (Total layered Ballistic ratings – Quickness)
Quickness Reduction for Movement: – (Total layered Ballistic ratings – Quickness)

E.g. Blaze has a Quickness of 3 and she pulls on an Armour Jacket (Ballistic 5, Impact 3), her Combat Pool is immediately reduced by 1 ((5 - 3) + (3 - 3) = 2 = -1 die). She now dons a Helmet (Ballistic +1, Impact +2). This does not count as layering armour as the helmet is explicitly additive, however her total Ballistic and Impact ratings are now 6 and 5 respectively reducing her Combat Pool by a total of 2 dice ((6 - 3) + (5 - 3) = 5 = -2 dice).

Blaze slips on an Armour Vest (Ballistic 2, Impact 1), beneath the Armour Jacket. The layered armour ratings are now 6 / 3 without the helmet (5 + (2 / 2) = 6, 3 + (1 / 2 rd) = 3). With the helmet the ratings are 7 / 5. However the layered armour reduces Blaze's Quickness by 4 (5 + 2 - 3) meaning she cannot move! All Quickness tests and Quickness linked Skill tests suffer a +4 TN. Blaze's Combat Pool is also reduced further to -4 dice ((8 - 3) + (6 - 3) = 8 = -4 dice).

Apathy
Also remember that when calculating the CP and Quickness penalties it is the total armour ratings that count (not the final effective B/I ratings, i.e. a 5/3 jacket layered with a 4/3 lined coat gives 7/4, but for purposes of determining CP and Quickness penalties the total ratings are 9 and 6.

I haven't done this at all. I've always used the effective ratings instead. Could I get someone else to verify that this is correct?
hobgoblin
hey toturi, who is your resident decker? fastjack? decking the feds is deathwish, atleast if you want to get into the part that controls the issuing of ID's!

the diplomatic immunity stunt may work tho, but make sure to switch who you claim to work for now and again as those contrys can either tell the star that the papers you have are fake or that they no longer apply...
TheScamp
I haven't done this at all. I've always used the effective ratings instead. Could I get someone else to verify that this is correct?

Look at the example given on p285. Twitch's layered armor gives him an overall 7/6 rating, but for the Combat Pool and Quickness penalties, he uses 9/7, which is the sum of the full ratings of each piece.
A Clockwork Lime
QUOTE (DigitalMage)
So just to summarise - apply teh penalties appropriately. I believe FFBA only aplies to one aspect (either the CP penalty or Quickness penalty, can't remember which way round). Also a full body suit of FFBA includes a hood - and I would argue that if this isn't worn then it isn't a full suit!

As per errata, Form-Fitting Body Armor is immune to all of the penalties for layering.
Austere Emancipator
Exactly what TheScamp said. The best verification is to read through the 4 paragraphs of text on p. 285 of SR3 under the headline "Armor and Combat Pool".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012