Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there a WEB based character generator?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
nicktheviking
I'm playing an online game with my group and they're 50% Mac and PC, so finding a character generator is a pain.

Are there any entirely web based character generators for SR4?
Tanegar
Google Docs spreadsheet. Simplest thing in the world.
nicktheviking
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 20 2011, 09:29 PM) *
Google Docs spreadsheet. Simplest thing in the world.

Yeah but I have some people who are new to Shadowrun, was hoping for something with built-in calculations and descriptions.
KarmaInferno
There's the Omae online character repository:
http://www.dndjunkie.com/chummer/wiki/Omae...r-Exchange.ashx

For use with the Chummer character generator.

Won't help you with your Mac problem, though. frown.gif

Can the Mac players use DK's Excel sheet? I dunno how well the Mac's spreadsheet app interacts with it.

-k
phlapjack77
I know you're looking for an online char generator, but I've used DamianKnight's excel spreadsheet on Windows and Mac (and Ubuntu) and it works fine...
Yerameyahu
KarmaInferno: you mean, Excel? biggrin.gif Though Numbers *is* a far superior spreadsheet program, you'd obviously use an Excel file with Excel. On the Mac.
KarmaInferno
Last time I seriously used Macs was when they had the word "power" tacked to the front of the name and were colored either like candy, or just all black.

-k
Yerameyahu
And yet, they've always had Excel. smile.gif Since well before then, and to now. They were never all black, though, except for the (rare) MacTV, perhaps the 20th Anniversary (graphite, technically). The PowerBooks were all dark grey for a while, but not that dark.
SpellBinder
I would hope Numbers would work with DK's sheet. I've made something simpler for another game in Excel, gave a friend a copy and Numbers kept telling him it couldn't open the XLS file because it was encrypted.
Yerameyahu
Numbers (and OpenOffice, etc.) does a decent job of trying to deal with those crazy Excel files, but I usually don't try with the really complicated ones (which means all chargens). :/
phlapjack77
Don't be afraid to try it! Give it a whirl with OpenOffice on the Mac, LibreOffice on Ubuntu - other than some warnings, it seems to work just fine...
Yerameyahu
But I have Excel 2011. nyahnyah.gif
phlapjack77
OpenOffice is just a few mouse-clicks away smile.gif
Traul
Microsoft has also opened a web-based Office, but it does not seem to have the full functionality: it failed to open a tricky Word form in the same way as Pages/OpenOffice.

DK's sheet works fine with OpenOffice, though.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 21 2011, 01:30 AM) *
And yet, they've always had Excel. smile.gif Since well before then, and to now. They were never all black, though, except for the (rare) MacTV, perhaps the 20th Anniversary (graphite, technically). The PowerBooks were all dark grey for a while, but not that dark.

I dunno. My PowerBook was black with touches of white. You might call it dark grey if you want. I call it black.

The G4 at work was grey and translucent white though. In both cases, they were company owned machines, so I had little say on what was installed.

I'm pretty sure it was still OS 9 at that point. I just remember that MacOS then was really really stable - up until it was not. Then it was a nightmare to fix. God forbid you had an extension conflict.

-k
Yerameyahu
Black with touches of white… Now I'm just curious, because I can't recall anything that fits that description. There was a black MacBook recently (no white on it), and AFAIK all the old PowerBooks were a very 'Dumpshock forum post background' grey—no one could call it black.
KarmaInferno
Found it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerBook_G3

Looks pretty black to me: http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3467/pbg3266.jpg

Anyhow, as people have pointed out, DK's sheet will work on a Mac in multiple ways. Note that I think not everything in the newer books is implemented yet.

-k
Yerameyahu
That's not white! You meant just the Apple logo? biggrin.gif You're right, though, the G3 was pretty darn dark. I forgot. smile.gif You can see it alongside a couple Duos in those shots, and the Duos are much lighter (grey). Mystery solved, thanks. Hehe.

Yes, use OpenOffice (and if adventurous, try Numbers anyway) on a Mac.
Xarei
I made a quick and dirty google spreadsheet for my last campaign, you're welcome to it (editing is turned off, save a copy)
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet...FE&hl=en_US
DeathStrobe
I'm actually working on a c++ character generator for my c++ class. It just so happens that c++ works for mac and windows, and linux. You just need to compile it.

I'm actually using a mac and have the meta types, and attributes working on it. But I still need to add in qualities, skills, ... everything...pretty much... I'm going to be releasing it under the GNU license so anyone can add to it, or do whatever with it really. But its pretty poorly written because, honestly, I don't know c++ that well.

I'm not sure if that'd help you at all, but I could upload it somewhere and you could use that at least to get started. With meta types and attributes at the least....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012