Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Levitation and Fling
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
StevenAngier
Hey there. Just a quick question.

"Levitate"'s description says that Objects flung by this spell are handled according to ranged combat rules, just like the spell "Fling".
Does that mean that one could fling objects with Levitate as well thus making Fling superflous. The way I read it it looks like objects flung by Levitate are much slower than those thrown with Fling but the fact that the spell description talks about "flinging" objects made me suspicious, especially since both do around the ame amount of damage.
What's your way to read the description?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Well, Levitate should be capable of "Flinging" much bigger objects than the Fling Spell is capable of, at the very least. wobble.gif
StevenAngier
That for sure. But what about objects Fling would also be able to affect?
Machiavelli
If i remember correctly, fling is an area-of-effect spell that catches multiple items and lets them fly around as some sort of distraction. Or was that another spell? I really canīt remember.
StevenAngier
That's Poltergeist. Fling is about flinging a (Force kg heavy) object at a target.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (StevenAngier @ Jul 26 2011, 11:37 AM) *
That's Poltergeist. Fling is about flinging a (Force kg heavy) object at a target.

And as far as I can tell, Fling also has the same drain modifier as Levitate, making it quite obsolete, especially where Fling is single use (Instant duration) and Levitate is sustained.
Mardrax
Fling has a defined throwing strength. Levitate doesn't.

Fling depends on this strength to determine throwing weapon range. Levitate sets a movement speed. (Does this mean Levitate-flung items don't suffer range penalties?)

Assuming no overcasting and 3 hits on a casting test, Fling will get an aerodynamic grenade considerrably further than Levitate will. A thrown knife will generally fly further with Levitate.

Of course, Levitate can fling a motorcycle on the same number of hits.
StevenAngier
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Jul 26 2011, 06:30 PM) *
And as far as I can tell, Fling also has the same drain modifier as Levitate, making it quite obsolete, especially where Fling is single use (Instant duration) and Levitate is sustained.

Depends. If you want to get a live grenade at your target, Fling could get it there considerably faster than Levitate IF you can't fling objects with Levitate just as you can with the Fling spell. That's what gets me confused. Levitate's spell description talks about "flinging" objects rather than "having objects slam into others". That's what made me question if Levitate maybe could also "fling" Objects as Fling does.
TheOOB
Levitation does "a number of boxes of Stun damage as decided by the gamemaster", whereas fling can be used to deal weapon damage.
whatevs
QUOTE (TheOOB @ Jul 26 2011, 08:12 PM) *
Levitation does "a number of boxes of Stun damage as decided by the gamemaster", whereas fling can be used to deal weapon damage.

The way i read it, levitate could reproduce fling's effects but you may want to confirm with your gm. Levitate is the bees knees btw. If you have room for only one more spell, take levitate.
Traul
Levitate, Incompetent(Athletics, all of them) and Braggart. When there a physical obstacle to overcome, you start hovering around your buddies and ask them if they are not getting too tired, because they are starting to look all red and sweaty and you worry for them biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012