Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternate idea for Wired Reflexes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Crazy Ivan
As I was browsing the older books, I came to realize that I'm not really a fan of the current set up of initiative passes.
Has anyone tried using the old style in SR4A?
Mardrax
I do believe I've seen at least 10 "we should be handling IPs like this:"-threads pass by. The 'old style' is bound to be among them.
Bigity
I guess by old style you mean SR1/SR2.

And the 'style' used by SR3/4 makes for a more enjoyable game for all types of characters IMO, instead of heavily favoring cybermonsters or mages with spell locks.
Erik Baird
While the 4e version makes things simpler by removing any need to roll dice, one thing I like better about the older versions is that it is possible for the super fast characters to not get three or four initiative passes if the player rolls poorly (although most characters with some form of boosting will get at least two).
Makki
QUOTE (Erik Baird @ Jul 27 2011, 05:33 PM) *
While the 4e version makes things simpler by removing any need to roll dice, one thing I like better about the older versions is that it is possible for the super fast characters to not get three or four initiative passes if the player rolls poorly (although most characters with some form of boosting will get at least two).

haha, I like the other way very much. an unaugmented rolling very well can get a 2nd pass
KCKitsune
Maybe a hybrid of the two? Everybody still acts in the first IP (in decreasing initiative order), but everybody still rolls their Init dice to see if they can maybe pull off an extra IP. This makes it possible for the goon to get an extra pass while not having uber amounts of 'Ware.
MK Ultra
That would be SR3 styl IIRC.

If you want to stick closer to SR4, but have some more variety then extra IP via edge (which is a great equalizer for the moments when it really counts) you could substract 1 IP from ppl that roll a glitch on ini (o IP ppl could still use interupt for full defense, etc.) and ALL IP for a critical glitch (character is frozen for one round and canīt take any actions, not even interrupt). Ppl with an outstanding success on the Ini roll (if you just make it 4 or 5 hits, then it favours the boosters too much, IMO, maybe current IP x 2 or 3 hits or some such) could get an extra IP.

I was also considering a mechanic for exhaustion (stun based on the number of IPs, similar to the rush drain (WAR), but much less severe) to encourrage high IP characters to drop some IPs nor and then, but I have no hard numbers yet.
Elfenlied
Well, I've seen the following rule somewhere:
Characters act in the following IP sequence: 2-1-4-3. E.g., those who have a 2nd IP go first, then everyone acts, those with a 4th IP act before those with 3 IPs.
hobgoblin
SLA Industries had a wonky pass system.

One could have up to 5, and anything less than that acted on even and odd passes depending on their number of passes.

So if you have 1 pass you acted on pass 3.

2 passes have you actions on pass 2 and 4.

3 resulted in actions on 1, 3 and 5.

4 landed you on 1, 2, 4 and 5.

and 5 enabled you to act on all.

Or one could adopt the Feng Shui system of rolling for initiative, starting a downwards count from the highest roll, and when your initiative comes up on the count you can take a action. The kind of action taken results in a initiative reduction, meaning that you can act again once the count hit your modified score. Wired reflexes and such would provide a action discount, meaning your score would come up more often. One could perhaps also get a discount by spending edge or taking a negative on tests rolled that action (to indicate your trading accuracy for speed). Similarly, reactions would have a attached cost. And i guess movement becomes easier to trace as one can move x pr count. But perhaps only change movement speed and direction on a action (watch out for those sudden obstacles).
Neurosis
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jul 28 2011, 07:45 AM) *
Well, I've seen the following rule somewhere:
Characters act in the following IP sequence: 2-1-4-3. E.g., those who have a 2nd IP go first, then everyone acts, those with a 4th IP act before those with 3 IPs.

Wow that seems needlessly confusing!
capt.pantsless
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Jul 29 2011, 01:08 PM) *
Wow that seems needlessly confusing!

The 2-1-4-3 ordering isn't too bad. I kinda like it, as it gives a little extra to the High-IP chars without allowing them to run rampant. Granted I'd want to spend a year or two re-balancing all the IP granting mods to be a tad bit more expensive/hard-to-get, but otherwise I like it.

I also run with a bonus-IP-on-good-initiative roll:

Bonus Initiative Passes on Initiative rolls:
Characters can get one additional IP when you get (3 + normal IP) hits on the initiative test
I.e. a mundane normal with 1 IP needs 4 hits on the initiative test
2 IPs needs 5 hits
3 IPs needs 6 hits
4 IPs is not eligible. (4 passes is the current max)
TheOOB
Personally I like the only augmented/magical characters can get multiple passes, I think screwing over unaugmented mundanes helps the distopian nature of the setting.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Erik Baird @ Jul 27 2011, 04:33 PM) *
While the 4e version makes things simpler by removing any need to roll dice

Lolwut? You still roll dice to determine initiative in SR4 and SR4A.
Erik Baird
Do you? I coulda sworn that was the reason for saying characters have x Initiative Passes like it's set in stone....
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Erik Baird @ Jul 29 2011, 06:32 PM) *
Do you? I coulda sworn that was the reason for saying characters have x Initiative Passes like it's set in stone....

Yeah, but initiative score is still a test, with the hits added to the initiative value.
Erik Baird
Ah, okay. I stuck with 3rd edition, so I had forgotten that part of the 4th edition rules. So the number of passes is still set in stone based on cyberware or magic (unless that changed in 4A?), but the order characters act in is rolled for. Got it.
hobgoblin
yep, passes are solid (except spending edge to get a extra one). This to help in speedy resolution (rather then having to divide by 10 or such each round). Just roll, count hits and go.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012