Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Miji Equipment
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shockwave_IIc
Ok, im looking at the possibility of performing MIJI attacks, specificly Meaconing and Jamming.

Things i know im needing for this are,
RCD, any reason that i'm needing this over 1?
Protocol Emulation, this needs to be high.
Good flux (is signal boosters the only way? cos there a little heavy)
and finnaly some ECM, problem is, with the exception of vehicle mounted ECM i can't find the price for this.

Decryption, now i know im needing this, cos a simple level one Encryption will defeat me if i don't have it, however it is so expensive (paying SI for everything), But i also know that Encryption is also expensive (more so since you gotta buy it more then once).

What can the rigger brains out there help me with?

How well would a Rating 1 RCD, RPEM rating 6 and some ECM (the price for which is where?)and a rating 6 Signal booster do? note this has to be man portable.
mfb
in order to MIJI, you must first infiltrate. this is the first lesson, grasshopper. in order to infiltrate, you must roll your EW specialization against TN 6, modified by the difference between your RCD rating and your targets. in other words, if you have an RCD 1, and they've got an RCD 6, your TN to infiltrate will be 11.

meditate upon this wisdom.
Kagetenshi
Decryption is more expensive than encryption (5k/level vs. 7.5k/level).

Signal boosters are it for Flux.

~J
mfb
not necessarily. if you're in a vehicle, you can use the vehicle to boost your Flux. i forget where the rules are, but i believe a vehicle can provide a total boost equal to 1/2 its body. and, of course, a vehicle will allow you to lug that heavy signal booster around. if you need to go mobile, you can set the vehicle up as a retransmitter by using another RCD.
Shockwave_IIc
How well would a Rating 1 RCD, RPEM rating 6 and some ECM (the price for which is where?)and a rating 6 Signal booster do? note this has to be man portable.
Frag-o Delux
I don't think well at all. The point has been made that a RCD of 1 against anything will not be good. IF you just kick out some extra cash for a 5 or 6 RCD you should be good. Depending on how important it is to do your jamming.

Also you may need a rigger decryption module, in the New Toys section. You might want to look at the RC ECCM to clear out your interference, should be in the BBB around p. 306.

I am not sure if ECM is man portable, I don't recall it being availible other then in vehicles.

mfb, your are correct, it is half the body of the vehicle you can add to the flux.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
I don't think well at all. The point has been made that a RCD of 1 against anything will not be good. IF you just kick out some extra cash for a 5 or 6 RCD you should be good.

Why? from the rules i found RCD doesn't factor if your the intruder (which is all i'll be, since the sole purpose is for EW))

Only ECM and RPEM seems to factor if your the intruder.

or what have i missed?
mfb
whoops, i was mistaken. rating of the intruder's RC deck has nothing to do with either infiltration or MIJI. for intrusion, you need a high RPEM; for MIJI, you need a high RPEM and high flux. decryption is also handy. relevant sources:

2nd sentence, 2nd para under Infiltrating Channels, p36, R3
1st sentence, 2nd para under The MIJI Test, p37, R3
Frag-o Delux
Well if the RCD is not that important if you are the jammer doing Jamming then it looks good.

I just relised I have been reading the infiltration thing backwards all this time, it is your PEM vs. their RCD, so yeah a 1 is fine.
TheOneRonin
Also, you don't need to tie ECM to a vehicle. In the BBB, page 292 is a device called a JAMMER. There is your man-portable (5kg) ECM.

Kagetenshi:
Decryption is more expensive than encryption (5k/level vs. 7.5k/level).

You do realize that you have to pay that 5k/rating cost for your deck AND for every drone on your network, right? That means a 4 drone + RCD network with Encryption 2 is 50,000 nuyen. Where as Decryption 6 is 45,000 nuyen...STILL cheaper than encryption. And god help you if you have a half-dozen or more drones on your network.

[edit]And checking in the BBB, both Encrypt and Decrypt have a street index of three. That just makes Encryption that much more insanely expensive.[/edit]
Kagetenshi
That's true. Then again, I'm the kind of player who has, in the past, gladly shelled out 25k across two decks and seven drones at chargen for Rating 5 encryption.

~J
TheOneRonin
Yeah, that $225,000 would certainly make your rigger virtually immune to intrusion.

However, it does nothing to protect you from barrage jamming.

Let me make a meta-game analogy here...sure, the GM can setup a high-encryption network for the NPCs...he can also give an NPC Troll NPC Wired Ref 3, Dermal Sheath 3, and Milspec armor...but not ever troll is going to be like that, and not every RC Network is going to have Encryption, much less unbreakable encryption.

So saying it's a waste of time to bother with having the gear and the gumption to decrypt a remote network is like saying it's a waste of time to pack an Ares Predator because it won't even scratch the troll in the paragraph above.

Now, I will admit RC Encryption IS a GREAT investment for PCs...just like Wired3 and Dermal Sheathing is a great investment for sammy PCs. But not ALL the opposition is going to be geared up like that.

TheOneRonin
You know, I just realized something...RC Encryption breaking is a bit of an anomaly in SR. The TN to defeat it is the RC Encrypt rating + 4 and there is NO POSSIBLE WAY TO LOWER THIS. Yup...nothing I've seen so far indicates that there is a way to lower this TN. That's strange as almost all base TNs in Shadowrun (that I can think of at the moment) can be lowered in at least some way.

Anyone can back me up/shoot me down on this epiphany?
grendel
The jammer listed on p.292 of SR3 does nothing to affect RC networks. You cannot jam or degrade a network unless you have an ECM module or engage in electronic warfare.
TheOneRonin
I don't have my books here at work, but I think you are mistaken, grendel. The jammer in the BBB is a radio frequency jammer, and by it's nature an Electronic Countermeasure Device. Broadcast Encryption/Decryption may be different on RC networks than on regular radio, but RC networks STILL use RF. RF can be jammed by an RF jammer.

And check the optional Barrage Jamming rules in Rigger 3 Revised (no page number handy). You don't even need an RC Deck to do that...just a simple ECM device.
BitBasher
The jammer listed on p.292 of SR3 does nothing to affect RC networks. You cannot jam or degrade a network unless you have an ECM module or engage in electronic warfare.
Not true, you can use raw flux for broadband or flood jamming adding flux/3 in signal degredation to *all* channels, automatically, with no roll necessary. But it affects everyone, friendly or otherwise.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
And check the optional Barrage Jamming rules in Rigger 3 Revised (no page number handy). You don't even need an RC Deck to do that...just a simple ECM device.

Unfortunately if it's only in the revised book i've got a problem, i don't have it. Just the first print i think (pgxx references in it)
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
Anyone can back me up/shoot me down on this epiphany?

Aptitude: Electronics helps a bit, and if encryption is powerful enough the Hooper-Nelson rule can come into play. Other than Aptitudes, non-lowerable TNs... making Improvised Explosives, a lot of Vehicle B/R stuff IIRC, spell learning tests, stuff like that...

~J
Lantzer
One thing else about the jammer - You are making a hash out of _everyone's_ sensors and communications, but...

..._You_ are gonna stand out like a sore thumb on the EM spectrum. Jamming lowers your signature like any other high-flux transmitter.
Kagetenshi
AARMs aplenty!

~J
TheOneRonin
Right...that's why you carry a backpack jammer and just use it to get you and your team out of a pickle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012