Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Physad Power: Psychokinesis
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
RedSunOfKrypton
One of my players recently bought the power as follows:

Psychokinesis
Cost: 4 (3 With Geas)
Treat as a Magic Fingers spell with a Strength and Quickness equal to the adept's Magic attribute.

He took a geas with this power, limiting it only to the tactile range, which means that basically he can only use it on himself (to fly) or to telekinetically lift things he's touching. He's a level 7 initiate grade physad with a strength level of 4 which puts his magic rating at 13. Now what all this means is that he wants this power, because it's limited to tactile range, to replace all of his strength rolls regarding feats of strength and melee attacks. So instead of rolling Str(Whatever), he can roll Mag(Whatever) because his tactile psychokinesis basically acts as several levels of improved strength, without the cost, according to the rules as I understand them...plus it allows him to fly. Any thoughts?

P.S. If this kinda seems incoherent in some way, I apologize, it's 9 am and I haven't slept since yesterday morning.
A Clockwork Lime
You could always just use Knack (Magic Fingers). It costs 0.5 Power Points per Force of the effect and includes the +2 penalty for sustaining a spell, which is enough to make it "balanced" in my opinion. If he wants to fly, he'll need to get it with Levitate instead/too.
RangerJoe
With an effective force 13 magic fingers, he should be able to pick himself up fairly easily <insert joke about picking up adepts>. It seems like there's an easier way of getting the desired effects (knack: levitate, spending all that karma improving actual attributes, buying new power-points to get improved skills/attribs, etc.) Then again, it sounds like the player really has the comic book hero trope going, so more power to him (literally, I guess).
Sphynx
My concern, Red Sun, is that it's better than a magic user can do (Based on # of successes with a TN of 6). While Adepts are no longer "Physical", making a power that's non-inner (Adepts forcus their magic inward) and more powerful than a mage can do is wrong. Levitate (self only) makes sense by their theme, but not Psionic like powers, such as Magic Fingers.

Sphynx
This is just messed-up.

He took a geas with this power, limiting it only to the tactile range, which means that basically he can only use it on himself (to fly) or to telekinetically lift things he's touching.

This is definitely a Knack and not a physad [adept] power. With a couple of teensy possible exceptions, physad powers should not have external effects; they're kind of automatically "self only." So no geas.

They also shouldn't, as a rule, have spell-like abilities like lifting stuff. That's not what a physical adept is. Adept powers should be supernatural increases to normal human abilities, and humans can't, by and large, fly. [I can, but that's because I'm so awesome.] So no psychokinesis, either.

I would not allow this power. I certainly wouldn't allow him to fly or lift stuff with it. I definitely wouldn't let him substitute his magic attribute for his strength. What he's doing is not roleplaying, or characterization. He's trying to get something for nothing, and get magelike powers for his physad. That alone, in my game, rules out the power, since it's both unrealistic and being used for uncharacteristic purposes. But that's my game: ultimately, you make the call.
BitBasher
I have to agree I would not allow this as a physad power as it treads directly on mages, but I would allow a physad a Gecko Crawl spiderman style power. Not flight though.
Herald of Verjigorm
What of "Absurd Leap?" Not technically flight, but you can get far by air. To reduce cost, it is an always on power and applies whenever you have less than 1 foot on the ground. So, if you run, you are going to deal with the level*MR*Strength*10 meter fall at the end or a similar injury when you hit the ceiling.
A Clockwork Lime
I don't mind the flying aspect (think Neo). I don't even mind the Magic Fingers angle (think Jedi). Hell, the limited-to-touch telekinesis angle is pretty much spot-on with how Superman was presented at one point (hence him not even really using his own muscle to lift things, but his mind). But that original power is just waaaay awful. I didn't even notice the bit where it replaces the adept's Strength and Quickness with his Magic attribute... which for that character is 13. All for 3 Power Points. :O
FlakJacket
QUOTE (3278)
This is just messed-up.

My gods, a 32 sighting. biggrin.gif
gknoy
I think what's scary is that the character was able to HAVE a magic attribute of 13. I mean, jesus ... seven levels of initiation?? Christ ... that's not a runner, that's a tiny GOD. I highly suggest orbital bovine insertion.

[edit]because I'm jealous, somewhat...[/edit]

You could also just crank up the opposition so that they too are super too. wink.gif But I gotta agree with 32 -- this power seems way out of scope for an /adept/ power. A spell? sure. But mimicking spell effects that affect anything outside is kindof iffy (tho I kinda like the levitation, it ought to be reaaaally hard. And only personal.)
Cain
I kinda have to agree with 32. If he wanted magelike powers, he should have created a physmage, and not a straight adept. While the cost is pretty huge, it makes adepts a little too unbalanced.

Really, for that cost, he could buy plently of levels of Great Leap and Strength Boost. If that's what he wants, then I'd suggest he buy that. Add in Traceless Walk, and he can leap tall buildings and land on windowsills with no problem.
RangerJoe
Do you guys really see 3278 as having a first and last name? I just think it's hella casual to assume I'm on a "first two digits basis" with a poster. smile.gif

Cain is quite right. Besides, you can jump unrealistically far with a little GL and improved strength (or even just attrib boost).
Steel Machine
So what about those of us who are on first two digit basis with the guy? biggrin.gif

He doens't mind 32, and responds to it in real life as well.
BitBasher
Just FYI. Saying them me and so-and-so are on a two digit basis sounds really, really bad out of context. Not much better in context rotfl.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
Any phrase sounds really bad when taken in the wrong (or right depending on your view) context.

To encourage such a perception, simply follow any regular statement with "if you know what I mean." Adding random winking and light elbowing of the person you are speaking to does not actually help, but it is extremely irritating, and thus, encouraged.
BitBasher
Someone watches Whose Line biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012