Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nigel Findley
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Troyminator
I just bought http://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28_222&products_id=2476 for my Nook. I just completed "2XS" and it is the 1st Shadowrun Novel I've read (although I did buy and read "Spells and Chrome". Good short stories in there). It saddens me that he died so young. He would have written some PHENOMINAL Shadowrun novels.

<edit> It seems to be showing the web address rather than the link name above, so it is "The Nigel Findely Omnibus" in case it is doing the same thing to you.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Troyminator @ Aug 5 2011, 07:46 PM) *
I just bought http://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28_222&products_id=2476 for my Nook. I just completed "2XS" and it is the 1st Shadowrun Novel I've read (although I did buy and read "Spells and Chrome". Good short stories in there). It saddens me that he died so young. He would have written some PHENOMINAL Shadowrun novels.

<edit> It seems to be showing the web address rather than the link name above, so it is "The Nigel Findely Omnibus" in case it is doing the same thing to you.

Fixed.
CanRay
*Pours a bottle on the curb*
PeteThe1
His work is still the universe's best fluff.

And House Of The Sun continues the tale of Dirk Montgomery, if you can find it.
Troyminator
QUOTE (PeteThe1 @ Aug 5 2011, 07:27 PM) *
And House Of The Sun continues the tale of Dirk Montgomery, if you can find it.

It is part of the 4 book omnibus: "2XS", "Shadowplay", "Lone Wolf", and "House of the Sun".
CanRay
I'd seen and been interested in Shadowrun for a bit before, but it was Shadowplay and 2XS that sold the universe for me.

And anyone who has heard my griping here know how hard that sell was.
Troyminator
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Aug 5 2011, 06:54 PM) *

Thank you
Tanegar
NP.
Dash Panther

He's written other good non-Shadowrun stuff.

Van Richten's Guide to Vampires (D&D Ravenloft)
Van Richten's Guide to Werebeasts (D&D Ravenloft)

Lost Kaer (Earthdawn novel)
ravensmuse
Nigel published a ton of stuff.

Some highlights:

The Fate of Istus (D&D, transitioned AD&D 1E Greyhawk to 2E)
Thieves of Lankhmar
Practical Planetology for Spelljammer
The Universal Brotherhood
Denver: The City of Shadows
Denizens of Earthdawn Volume Two
The Succubus Club
Street Fighter Player's Guide
(we can forgive him for these two)

I remember that for whatever reason I was looking him up online at one point and dug up that Wiki article. Truly amazing how much that man worked.

(also, I can't spell this morning. Imagine.)
ggodo
Hey, The Street Fighter Player's guide ain't that bad.
CanRay
DAMNIT!

Now I want to play Street Fighter.
ggodo
I found the books at my local shop, never been able to justify buying them.
CanRay
Do it.

I didn't at my local shop for a few OOP Books, got a nice, big tax return one year and decided to finally do it... They had been sold two days earlier.

Do it while you can.
Platinum
Shadowrun died with Nigel.

This is an example of what every developer after FASA did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ERDL0BxRXQ "Come on, we can revive it!"
tete
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Aug 6 2011, 12:04 PM) *
(we can forgive him for these two)

I loved the Succubus Club, heck its so popular that they have a White-Wolf party named after it every year in New Orleans, but I even like the Spelljammer he wrote. Dark Alliance: Vancouver is one of my favorites from Nigel.
ravensmuse
QUOTE (Platinum @ Aug 9 2011, 09:56 AM) *
Shadowrun died with Nigel.

This is an example of what every developer after FASA did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ERDL0BxRXQ "Come on, we can revive it!"

Eh, not really germane to the conversation to include a random swipe at folks, man.

Just sayin'.
CanRay
An exceptional man left this mortal coil far too soon, and but mere mortals had to take his place and attempt to attain the same level as he. Really, not the same thing.
Smirnov
QUOTE (tete @ Aug 9 2011, 08:00 PM) *
I loved the Succubus Club, heck its so popular that they have a White-Wolf party named after it every year in New Orleans,

Not to mention the whole music album with the same name.

To stay 'on topic', I admire the man. Highly prolific and talented writer. His books were the door to the 'proper' Shadowrun for me - not that cyberpunk with elves that pictures which you get from the core book.
Platinum
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Aug 9 2011, 09:30 PM) *
Eh, not really germane to the conversation to include a random swipe at folks, man.

Just sayin'.

It's not random. It totally pertains to the conversation. Shadowrun went from turned up to 11, to mediocre. The decline was quick too. We lost Mozart and replaced it with Weird Al. I like Weird Al, but he's not an innovator.
tete
QUOTE (Platinum @ Aug 10 2011, 12:46 PM) *
It's not random. It totally pertains to the conversation. Shadowrun went from turned up to 11, to mediocre. The decline was quick too. We lost Mozart and replaced it with Weird Al. I like Weird Al, but he's not an innovator.

Does that make Tom Dowd Beethoven? Cus I can totally buy into that!
ravensmuse
QUOTE (Platinum @ Aug 10 2011, 07:46 AM) *

Well to start with, I was kinda talking about your tone. But since your own argument right there doesn't hold its own weight...

I get what you're trying to say. You're saying that ever since Nigel's passed, Shadowrun hasn't been the same for you. I think you'd find people with similar attitudes here on Dumpshock. Myself, I think that several great things and a few great teams have come since then. But hey, that's opinions.

What I have an issue with, and what I commented on, was that your tone came across as, "...and those fuckers have been fucking his corpse since." Which is supported by the fact that you linked to a video of Tom Green humping a moose.

I mean, really? Can't we progress past going to the nth degree just to make a point around here?
Thanee
2XS is awesome! Shadowplay was always my favorite SR novel!

Nigel Findley was the best! Such a shame...

Changeling, while not from Nigel Findley, was also a really great book.

And I also liked the very original trilogy from Robert N. Charette.

But Spells & Chrome has some nice stories, too (and also one featuring Dirk Montgomery). smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
CanRay
I really want to know what's going on with Dirk's arm!
Prime Mover
A cloned replacement? Cyber is so 50's.
CanRay
A single sentence, "At least I got rid of that damned metal arm." would not have been difficult, would have fit his personal narrative style, and stopped all questions by fans.
Platinum
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Aug 11 2011, 05:42 AM) *
Well to start with, I was kinda talking about your tone. But since your own argument right there doesn't hold its own weight...

I get what you're trying to say. You're saying that ever since Nigel's passed, Shadowrun hasn't been the same for you. I think you'd find people with similar attitudes here on Dumpshock. Myself, I think that several great things and a few great teams have come since then. But hey, that's opinions.

What I have an issue with, and what I commented on, was that your tone came across as, "...and those fuckers have been fucking his corpse since." Which is supported by the fact that you linked to a video of Tom Green humping a moose.

I mean, really? Can't we progress past going to the nth degree just to make a point around here?

"Tone" on the internet is always subjective. As for my message, yes, I think there has been some necrophilia. If you have an issue with that, well ... chalk it up to opinions.

My point is that there hasn't really been any innovation in Shadowrun since Nigel passed away. You will most likely present the argument that the switch of dice mechanic, and adding two stats was innovation, I don't. I see it as a departure from Shadowrun, and it became a new game, post humanus magica emo, which focused and magnified elements of Shadowrun that already existed.

I have a huge amount of respect for some people, like Robert Derie. I think Shadowrun would have flourished under his hand, maintaining the grit, and come up with something as next gen as Shadowtech was to Shadowrun way back in the day. Alas we have a number of partial books coming out that are "more of the same old thing".
CanRay
Then why are you here?

Just wondering. Been a long time since Nigel Findley passed. *Pours a bottle on the curb*
Platinum
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 11 2011, 09:15 AM) *
Then why are you here?

Glean some pearls out of conversations. Learn about new things, ie Dresden Universe.
CanRay
Well, like the statement in Street Legends...

When Dumpshock doesn't endorse how you should behave with authors of Shadowrun, it's time to think again.

At least keep the dead moose humping to a minimum. There's Canadians here.
Dreadlord
I have all but about two of the original novels in paperback, and about every two or three years I pull them down and read them all, which is a huge mess of about 30 books scattered around my house, since I tend to read at least two books at a time (yeah, I am a bookworm!). It sure would be nice if I could have them all on my tablet in digital form, so I could carry them ALL around with me, and preserve the condition of my paperbacks better. Not to mention maybe pick up the two I am missing!
Troyminator
I finished "Shadowplay" today. My family wanted all my attention and it was all I could do not to say something like "Stop that whiney drek and man up! If you keep bothering me, I will fragging kick your hoop! Slot and run, you fragging slitch!" Yeah, I'm taking my Nigel Findley omnibus a bit too serious. <hold up thumb and forefinger a bit apart and then keeps widening them. Has to take one cyberarm off and set it by the front door, then run to the other side of the doss to show how seriously> wobble.gif
CanRay
I just picked up Shadowplay in E-Format. I just cannot find it anywhere in the city at all. frown.gif
Critias
It seems sad as Hell to me that a thread mourning the death of Mr. Findley -- of all threads, of all topics -- has to degenerate into a bitch-fest about the current state of the game, just like every other conversation around here. I understand that folks have opinions, very strong opinions, sometimes, but it'd be nice if a thread trying to honor one of Shadowrun's greats could stay focused on him. There are plenty of other threads lying around for folks to gripe about how things are going right now, couldn't we have left Nigel just one thread?
ravensmuse
QUOTE (Critias @ Aug 14 2011, 11:47 PM) *
It seems sad as Hell to me that a thread mourning the death of Mr. Findley -- of all threads, of all topics -- has to degenerate into a bitch-fest about the current state of the game, just like every other conversation around here. I understand that folks have opinions, very strong opinions, sometimes, but it'd be nice if a thread trying to honor one of Shadowrun's greats could stay focused on him. There are plenty of other threads lying around for folks to gripe about how things are going right now, couldn't we have left Nigel just one thread?

Basically what I was trying to say.
CanRay
I'd pour another 40 on the curb, but I ran out.
Platinum
QUOTE (Critias @ Aug 14 2011, 11:47 PM) *

No one is bitching. Ignore it and then we can stay focused.

I was just thinking, can you imagine the horror factor of Shadowrun could be? His Van Ritchen's guide to Vampires is my favorite RPG book. It was so insightful and lead to incredible story telling with vampire villains. Some killer guides like that would really make things darker. Man, what I would give to see his idea journals.
Troyminator
I just started "House of the Sun" at the gym today. I thought the dedication was very well done and very appropriate to this thread.

"In Memory of Nigel Findley. 22 July 1959-19 February 1995"

"Nigel was in the final stages of proofing this novel when he passed away on February 19, 1995. This novel, like all the others he wrote, exhibits his incredible creativity to take the unkown and transform it into something believeable and enjoyable. House of the Sun has special significance to the life of Nigel because Dirk Montgomery was his favorite character and Hawaii was his favorit place. To put Dirk in turmoil again was a challange Nigel embraced with his usual flair, wild imagination, and persuit of excellence. As I know the pleasure he derived from writing this novel, I dedicate it to Nigel's incredible gift of writing, to his enthusiasm for for living, and to the wonderful man he was." - Holly Langland, Friend and Partner

<pours Crown Royal on the curb>

All spelling and gramatical mistakes are mine
CanRay
I remember getting House Of The Sun the day it was released back home, and crying when I read that.

I'd only read three of his works by then, but had known by then that he was one of the greats...

Reading that again, even a copy, well... I gotta go have a lie down now.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 15 2011, 01:28 PM) *
I remember getting House Of The Sun the day it was released back home, and crying when I read that.

I'd only read three of his works by then, but had known by then that he was one of the greats...

Indeed. I started re-reading Shadowplay today... Definitely one of the greats. smile.gif
SecGuard
The link isn't working frown.gif
tete
QUOTE (Platinum @ Aug 11 2011, 02:11 PM) *
I think Shadowrun would have flourished under his hand, maintaining the grit, and come up with something as next gen as Shadowtech was to Shadowrun way back in the day. Alas we have a number of partial books coming out that are "more of the same old thing".

Well who knows what he would have done as working on Vampire/Werewolf, D&D, & Shadowrun keeps you pretty busy I'm sure. I don't think big D would be dead, at leased not as early as he was killed off, but the rest of it who knows. Its not like he came up with the horrors or anything he just saw an idea he liked and dialed it up to 11. If he had found a cat girl he liked we might all be cursing him right now or we might have become fans of cat girls which may be even scarier.
CanRay
Maybe he could have had Striper show up in one of the novels?

She's like a cat girl... wink.gif
raben-aas
2XS and Changeling. Still somewhat of the main reason to stick or come back to Shadowrun.

Troyminator
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 15 2011, 03:28 PM) *

Yeah, I got misty-eyed when I was typing it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012