Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spells and Chrome
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bigity
Ok, so I'm reading this on my Kindle, and I'm into the Dirk Montgomery short story.

I guess this was just some bad editing and a goof on the writer's part, but Dirk has a cyberarm. By other comments the story can't take place before the events that led to his shiny new arm. This is probably old news but still seems like a pretty significant 'oops'.
Saint Hallow
The cyberarm occurred at the end of 2XS, I think? After the climax, Dirk woke up in a hospital with the cyberarm? As for the short story, to me it reads after that event as well as after House of the Sun. Though it's been a while since I've read the first 2 novels and the short story in Spells & Chrome was written by Phardra Wheldon. So more than likely I think it's a nice 1-off story for fans of the Montgomery character.
CanRay
Dirk's cyberarm was covered in synthflesh, which had to be adjusted to his own skin tone at the end of 2XS, and he's still adjusting to life with it in House Of The Sun (I read them both a few months ago.). While there's the possibility he got a clone arm replacement, considering his views on cybernetics... Yeah, that would probably be a author goof without a specific statement, even offhanded, "thank ghost I got rid of that metal monstrosity", and Findley is generating torque in his grave. He was really good at the details.

If that's what the story says. I'm still waiting for my copy to come out on DTF.
Saint Hallow
Mel Odom did a decent job with Argent (another Findley creation) in my mind when he wrote "Run Hard, Die Fast". However, I akin Mel Odom as the "Michael Bay" of sci-fi writing in which he creates some over-the-top action sequences.
CanRay
At least Mel hasn't caused printing presses to burst into flames to produce his work.

Yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012