Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ork Flash Mobs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bushw4cker
I'm looking for ideas for random Shadowrun Encounters. (Something a little more updated then the Sprawl Sites) Looking for ideas, comments or suggestions.

Here are a couple I thought of

1. The Runners are minding their own business and suddenly dozens of ork and troll teens start beating the snot out of every non-metahuman in the area. (Could make this a recurring one.)

-The Orks will gang up on the runners but run at the first sign of real trouble, if they manage to knock someone out they will steal any valuables. For the Teens use the Humanis Policlub Grunt (+3 Body, +2 Strength) on pg. 282 SR4A

2. Well that’s not something you see every day. An old man runs down the street looking behind his back about fifty meters away you see a Pizza delivery rotor drone pursuing him, and closing the distance quickly. In a thick Italian accent the drone says “I have your Pizza Pie!” The old man screams “Leave me alone!” The drone is now ten meters away, and shoots the man with a couple of Taser darts. The man’s body collapses to the ground convulsing. The drone opens a compartment and drops a steaming pizza box onto the unconscious man and says “Grazi!, Enjoy your Pizza Pie!” The drone then seems to fix its attention in your direction.

-The drone has been hacked by a matrix ganger. The drone is a modified MCT-Nissan Roto-drone with an internal mounted Yamaha Pulsar Taser. The drone has a device rating 3, and a targeting 3 auto-soft. For the Matrix Ganger use the Novice Hacker NPC on pg. 68 of Unwired.
Wakshaani
3. "This is Lisa Logan, for Action News Eighteen, and behind me is a crowd not at all thrilled about the most recent maneuver of the mayor. You there, sir! What do you think about the mayor's approach to metahuman rights?"

And suddenly, the runner's face is on trideo, with a reporter's mic under his nose and a spotlight in his eyes. Thank fast, rabbit!

4. Ahh, a clean run. They're so rare! Johnson got his paydata, you got your certified credstick, and now? Now it's time to drive home, pop open a soybeer, prop your feet up, and watch the game. *bleepbleep* Yeah, nothing quite like a night well... is that a baby? WHY IS THERE A BABY IN MY BACK SEAT?!

Just after a run completes, a runner finds his car was broken into, but nothing was stolen ... instead, a baby was left behind! A note pinned to it indicates that the mom can't support it and figured that you, random stranger who could afford a car, could. As such... hot potato!

Bonus twist: It turns out that the mom was trying to make money by being a surrogate for a well-placed corporate who couldn't take time off for her own kid, so she got a good donor from the corp, had an egg harvested, and figured that in nine months she'd have a little tax deduction and show her superiors that she was a good corporate citizen. Only now, when it was time to give the child up, the surrogate ducked out. She's GOING to find that baby and she's GOING to get it back ... there's a vice-directorship of marketing on the line! SUrrogate mom might figure that the PC can drive the corporation off so that she can take the baby back for herself, she might have taken the corp scrip and run, or maybe she was found quickly and 'removed from the unemployment rolls' for good.

5. Two big Orks walk out of a store, shouldering their way past the PC, roughly. A well-dressed human slides out behind them, brushing off the shoulders of his suit, before one Ork opens the door of his car and lets him in. The three then drive off together. Inside, the place has been smashed up a bit and the owner, nursing a black eye and grimacing as he tries to pick the place up, puts on his best face for a new client, shooing his wife and child back upstairs. "Oh this? One of those small earthquakes. Please excuse the mess! Now ... what can I do for you?"
PeteThe1
Ahhh, really makes ya love the old 1e Sprawl Sites book.
Fatum
Okay, here's a bunch of random encounters I made for the last campaign I GMed.
Now, I have to comment on the idea behind them a bit. What I always go after when I GM is the feeling of the setting, and I feel that showing its peculiarities is one of the best methods to help with that.
So, since my runners drove around Seattle a lot, I wrote up those little things, which should pretty much be read with "The runners are driving through Seattle streets in their van when they see..." added in the beginning.
Most of those can be used to start a little sideplot or give the PCs a new contact, but they're mostly just there for the feel of SR universe, not as a plot hook.
Stahlseele
Takt it literally.
A Mob of Orks flashing you.
If that's not horribly distracting, i don't know what is . .
CanRay
A mob of Trolls flashing you?

EDIT: A mob of Dragons, period?
CanRay
QUOTE (PeteThe1 @ Aug 13 2011, 05:22 PM) *
Ahhh, really makes ya love the old 1e Sprawl Sites book.
You mean like this one?
Stahlseele
Mr Johnsons Little Blackbook had some random encounters too, if i remember correctly . .
PeteThe1
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 13 2011, 03:30 PM) *

Thats the one. The stats need adjusting obviously, bit its even just fun to read and think about. "There's a tame hellhound. It seems to like your leg a lot."
capt.pantsless
QUOTE (PeteThe1 @ Aug 13 2011, 07:36 PM) *
Thats the one. The stats need adjusting obviously, bit its even just fun to read and think about. "There's a tame hellhound. It seems to like your leg a lot."

No kidding - there's 288 adventure hooks, practically all of them are a solid idea that a good GM could turn into a night of ad-lib gaming in a pinch, or turn into a full-on campaign if one was so inclined. That, or you can steal some of the characters and use them as contacts with a bit more background than the regular ones.

Bushw4cker
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Aug 13 2011, 10:41 PM) *
3. "This is Lisa Logan, for Action News Eighteen, and behind me is a crowd not at all thrilled about the most recent maneuver of the mayor. You there, sir! What do you think about the mayor's approach to metahuman rights?"

And suddenly, the runner's face is on trideo, with a reporter's mic under his nose and a spotlight in his eyes. Thank fast, rabbit!

4. Ahh, a clean run. They're so rare! Johnson got his paydata, you got your certified credstick, and now? Now it's time to drive home, pop open a soybeer, prop your feet up, and watch the game. *bleepbleep* Yeah, nothing quite like a night well... is that a baby? WHY IS THERE A BABY IN MY BACK SEAT?!

Just after a run completes, a runner finds his car was broken into, but nothing was stolen ... instead, a baby was left behind! A note pinned to it indicates that the mom can't support it and figured that you, random stranger who could afford a car, could. As such... hot potato!

Bonus twist: It turns out that the mom was trying to make money by being a surrogate for a well-placed corporate who couldn't take time off for her own kid, so she got a good donor from the corp, had an egg harvested, and figured that in nine months she'd have a little tax deduction and show her superiors that she was a good corporate citizen. Only now, when it was time to give the child up, the surrogate ducked out. She's GOING to find that baby and she's GOING to get it back ... there's a vice-directorship of marketing on the line! SUrrogate mom might figure that the PC can drive the corporation off so that she can take the baby back for herself, she might have taken the corp scrip and run, or maybe she was found quickly and 'removed from the unemployment rolls' for good.

5. Two big Orks walk out of a store, shouldering their way past the PC, roughly. A well-dressed human slides out behind them, brushing off the shoulders of his suit, before one Ork opens the door of his car and lets him in. The three then drive off together. Inside, the place has been smashed up a bit and the owner, nursing a black eye and grimacing as he tries to pick the place up, puts on his best face for a new client, shooing his wife and child back upstairs. "Oh this? One of those small earthquakes. Please excuse the mess! Now ... what can I do for you?"

Love em, especially number 4

CanRay
My group couldn't even kidnap a kid out of an orphanage without having Jesus get down off his crucifix and punt one of them through a wall with it. Then they crippled a Nun from the neck down.

When they finally delivered the kid at a meet in a graveyard, it turned out it was a bum run (He wasn't who the Mr. Johnson thought he was), and they dumped the . Out of the car, face first into a tombstone.

I decided not to give them any more children. nyahnyah.gif
Bushw4cker
Well my players haven't killed a kid in a while..Since the troll adept killed a mob bosses son with an arrow, but at least that was an accident.
Halflife
I once shot a little girl (accidentally) with a SnS round and felt so guilty I gave her medical assistance in the middle of a slowly gathering crowd....before setting a nearby apartment on fire.
Jhaiisiin
See, when I read Ork Flash Mobs, I think of a mob of orks that suddenly break down into a synchronized dance number... like Thriller
CanRay
No, that would be a Ghoul Flash Mob.
Jhaiisiin
Well, Thriller is just the most notable example... And really, Shedhim flash mob if we're gonna do it right.

Could be any number of similar situations.
Marwynn
6) Your players are enjoying their downtime as a group. The last run was very successful, if a bit tiring so some rest is in order. In any case, your players' characters' reps' are looking good and there's definitely the right kind of attention from the shadows, all they need is time to line up the next big thing.

Life's good. Then they hear sirens blaring as a delivery van screeches around a corner, bullet riddled and erratically driving on the sidewalk or the street. The van smacks into a vehicle, thankfully not theirs, and an ork with a very pink mohawk dashes out of the delivery van and spots them. Another person, the driver perhaps, pops up from the van's roof... along with a machine gun.

The cops round the corner right into a hail of fire. But it doesn't last long as aerial drones poison the shooter with lead. The shootout forces everyone to take cover, and the ork with the very pink mohawk takes cover with your team, but the drones decide to give him a lethal haircut. From their sensors' perspective and the cops, the ork was trying to hand off an item they obviously stole to your team.

Hell, one of your players might actually pick it up as it rolls off the ork's hands.

So now they just inherited a bad run through no fault of their own. This "downtime" adventure can lead to just about anywhere. Perhaps the stolen item (datachip, genetic sample, latest commlink) belongs to one of their favoured Johnson's company. So when the Johnson reviews the footage he thinks he's been betrayed.

7) Pretty lady walks up to one of the characters in a social setting, bar/restaurant/poetry readings, and loudly proclaims "He's the father!" as hired goons flex their muscles in an attempt to intimidate the 'runner. In truth, the pretty lady's a corp brat twenty-something that got pregnant way the hell before her time. So she invents a story which could result end with a shotgun wedding of sorts.

The pregnancy reveal was very public, so no convenient abortions for the executive daddy (or mommy).

When my GM sprang this on my hacker he forgot that my hacker had Unarmed 6 with three known Martial Arts styles and beat down three waves of those goons by himself. While drunk. GM decided that the pregnancy was just a scare... which my hacker conveniently tracked down.

THEN he got her pregnant (as the campaign ended a few runs later and he married into an Ares family.)

The Jopp
I was thinking 40K Ork flash mobs and then i was thinking Ork Flash Gitz. rotfl.gif

Troyminator
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Aug 13 2011, 04:41 PM) *

Dear Lord, I love these. I may have to steal them.
PeteThe1
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 14 2011, 07:43 PM) *
No, that would be a Ghoul Flash Mob.

A flash mob, made up like zombies, begin doing the Thriller dance. The leader even seems to have the Michael Jackson red leather outfit. A crowd gathers, watching, applauding, maybe transferring a few nuyen to an open comlink the dancers set up.

When a sufficiently large crowd has gathered, the zombies then drop the dance and attack the audience and start eating. No wonder they looked like such realistic ghouls.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 13 2011, 07:30 PM) *

I might pick up the PDF just for the maps...are those easy to print out? Love to get my runners in a gun-fight at McHugh's.
Stahlseele
it's a PDF . .
you mark page and say print o.O
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Troyminator @ Aug 15 2011, 07:38 PM) *
Dear Lord, I love these. I may have to steal them.

You're welcome to 'em!
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 15 2011, 04:41 PM) *
it's a PDF . .

Let me rephrase the question, do the pages print out okay? IE they aren't distorted nor anything.
CanRay
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 13 2011, 06:30 PM) *
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Aug 15 2011, 02:52 PM) *
I might pick up the PDF just for the maps...are those easy to print out? Love to get my runners in a gun-fight at McHugh's.
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 15 2011, 03:41 PM) *
it's a PDF . .
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Aug 15 2011, 07:23 PM) *
Let me rephrase the question, do the pages print out okay? IE they aren't distorted nor anything.
Let me check it out. (I bought it just after I linked it.).

OK, considering you referenced McHugh's, I used the "Small Restaurant" location archetype as a test print. It printed out just fine. biggrin.gif

EDIT: Also, OCR appears to be fairly clean. Not bad for something 21-years old!
raben-aas
Gnaaaargh! Whenever I scan the unread threads, I'm reading this one as "Orc Flash Boobs" ....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012