Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Casing the place
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
L.D
A line in this thread made me create this poll. So what do you people say?

Personally I've been doing it for about 10 years now. biggrin.gif
Voran
On and off. And I also sometimes find myself taking the corper's side of things:

"Jeez, if this was my place I'd put a concealed minigun up there. MAD scanner right here, chemsniffers over there. Definately increase the BR of those windows...hmmm"

etc etc nyahnyah.gif
Modesitt
I distinctly remember walking into a hotel, looking up at the skylight, then the tables and such while thinking, "This would make an awesome run location."

Now that I think about it, that place would make a great run location. Should look into finding a copy of the blueprints if possible.
Kagetenshi
In my old high school, I had plans for resisting an assault from just about any location within the building. I also had more than a few keys to various rooms...

~J

Postscript: I don't mean that I was able to resist assault from anywhere, but I had a plan for how I would get to somewhere I could from anywhere.
Firewall
I tend to think as a film director (I trained as an actor-director) in a lot of buildings. I tend to think,'if I were to film from this angle, it could look very good for suchandsuch script I was flicking through' or, 'I would definitely make this the set for the final showdown with the villain'

Then the swashbuckler kicks in and I start imagining the fight scenes and just how much glass/furniture could get broken... (note: fight directors are not normally as destructive as me)
gknoy
I may not often find myself casing, but I /have/ found myself slicing pie quite frequently. And a couple of weeks ago I realized that had there been a sniper in any number of places (that sprang to mind on my walk across campus on the way to work), I'd have no way to (a) notice them, and (b) evade them.

Makes me wish I had Combat Sense III. wink.gif
toturi
I evaluate tactical situations, war game scenarios where ever I go. If I'm in the bath, I'll think what do I do if an asshole grabs my pants and run out of the toilet? If I'm walking on the street, I switch directions, walk into different shops, evaluate how I'd react if caught in an ambush, check for tails, scan windows, check roofs, etc.

Afterall, practise makes perfect.
KillaJ
Personally that is one of my favorite hobbies, it has almost replaced the game....
RangerJoe
I was just in Vegas this weekend. No better place in the 5th world to practice observing without being observed. It's amazing how many great places there are for cameras, security choke points, etc.

I just want a warded roulette wheel....
Smiley
How about craps dice with some bad-ass spell quickened to them?

Hmmm... there's a possible character in there... gambler type. Kinda like Gambit.
gknoy
*cough* gamershaman ... */cough* grinbig.gif
RangerJoe
I let a character take a "charge" adept power in a recent game (almost identical to the power from the handybook) to create a gambit-like effect (he really needed the ability-- the character insisted on using only blunted "throwing maces" and had a strength of... ka.... was it 4? Yeah. 4. The maximum extra 6S stun he could instill them with made all the difference).

I would like to see a gamer combat shaman with fetish-linked elemental manips. Something about having to throw dice at a sec guard, only to have them erupt in a fireball is something out of all of our dreams.... or at least mine.... I guess.

(Actually, one of my players must have had a magic fingers spell. Kept rolling and rerolling and rerolling 6s. Came a point where TNs had to be upwards of 32 to cross a street, just to keep things interesting. No, the dice were not loaded. No one else in the group could replicate the effect).
Beast of Revolutions
Same here Kage. In school, I was always sizing up people and places for a fight.
sidartha
For a short period of time I felt somewhat secure at work.
In a small town Gas Station that was maybe thirty by thirty feet there were three cameras covering most of the major angles, so even if I died they would slap the wrist of whoever did it. Yeh, none of those cameras were pluged into anything indifferent.gif
On the other hand while I was in WI at another gas station I saw that the security cameras were not on the station building itself but on the one next door and I thought what a great screw that is to give the players:
"I searched the building plans for cameras and these were the only ones"
"Yep"
"Good then we go"
"The next day you see your face on the morning news along with the rest of the team and the plate # of your riggermobile. Have a nice day smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif "
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (sidartha)
the plate # of your riggermobile.

There's their problem. The Riggermobile should have been at least a few blocks away.

~J
CardboardArmor
Not to mention chameleon paint and polymorphic liscense plates.

Or for us Fifth World types with a budget, knowledge of auto-painting and a cordless electric screwdriver for quick plate-swapping action!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012