Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Running in Australia
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
scarius
as i have said in local guides/sourcebooks thread (thread) i am working on making a australian source book for shadowrun 4A. i will be posting the stuff i am working on up here on a regularish basis, if anyone would like to comment upon what i have done, or what they think that i should do please feel free to do so. also if anyone out there has some stuff that they have done on australia and wouldnt mind if i used/changed it, please post it up or PM me...

so here is what i have done on mana storms

[ Spoiler ]
Wolfgar
Awesome, I can't wait to see what you put together. I'm running a game set in Sydney, and I used to original mana storm table from Target: Awakened Lands, just ad-libbing if I came to an effect not covered in SR4. In 6th world Almanac, it also mentions Mana Storms having an effect on wireless communication, and here's how I cover it-

When rolling on the mana storm table, right after Force, I roll one dice for Signal loss. If it's a hit, I roll again and apply that number (1-6) as a jamming effect to the area affected, for the duration of the storm. Gives Aussie hackers something to worry about, as well as mages.

I also allow a threshold (3) assessing test to detect an invisible mana storm approaching and threshold (2) for visible. Gives the mages a change to throw up mana barrier before getting killed by the weather.
Bodak
Just make sure the Shadowtalk uses Australian spellings and have all your measurements in present-day metric units, not furlongs and ounces and all that!
Beest
19 wind (force = wind speed in kph)

i assume this is meant to be alot faster.

shadowtalk using aus spelling should be fine for him to grasp. or atleast i hope so.

Also every runner bar should have some variation of walkabout in the name
scarius
here are a few qualities that i have been working on.

feel free to coment/add your own

Positive Qualities:
Top bloke: +2 dice to all social encounters (not intimidation) with people you have met before. 10 bp
‘That’s not a knife’: +2 on intimidation test, when previously intimidated. 5 bp
‘Built like a brick shithouse’: +1 on damage resistance tests, +2 overflow boxes. 15 bp
From the bush: +2 to survival checks, +2 to assensing checks for mana storms. 10 bp
Running in pluggers: +2 to running checks, +4 if wearing pluggers. 10 bp
Madder then Max: +2 to drive/auto mechanic checks. 15 bp
Dole bludger: +2 to resource checks. 10 bp
Scab: +2 to negotiation checks, +4 when regarding money. 10bp

Negative Qualities:
From the bush: -2 to all social check with other Australians, -4 for everyone else. 10 bp
Total Gullah: opposite of common sense. GM can feed you random info. 15 bp
Shout dodger: same as hung out to dry. -4 to any tests while in pubs. 25 bp
Scab: -2 to all social tests with tradesmen. 5 bp
Face like a smashed crab: charisma is equal to 0 in all face to face tests, unless covered up. 20 bp
Dole cheat: -2 to loyalty on all contacts. 20 bp
EpicSpire
well "From the Bush" and "Scab" seem to be Positive and Negative qualities. i would change the names of them slightly, just so there is a difference and no confusion. Other than that, looks good so far.
Bodak
QUOTE (scarius @ Aug 29 2011, 08:18 PM) *
Madder then Max: +2 to drive/auto mechanic checks. 15 bp
This is another of those cases where America is centuries behind the rest of the world. The rest of us have been spelling THAN with an "A" for 300 years. So further to my earlier comment "Just make sure the Shadowtalk uses Australian spellings", make sure that your non-shadowtalk text is in modern-day English too.

QUOTE (scarius @ Aug 29 2011, 08:18 PM) *
Total Gullah: opposite of common sense. GM can feed you random info. 15 bp
Do you mean "Galah"?
Seerow
QUOTE (Bodak @ Aug 29 2011, 11:56 PM) *
This is another of those cases where America is centuries behind the rest of the world. The rest of us have been spelling THAN with an "A" for 300 years. So further to my earlier comment "Just make sure the Shadowtalk uses Australian spellings", make sure that your non-shadowtalk text is in modern-day English too.

Americans use "than" just like everyone else. There's just a lot of people out there who don't understand basic grammar, and can't determine the difference between then and than. The same people can't tell the difference between your and you're, or its and it's, or to and too.
Beest
change the neg quality 'from the bush' to 'native'
and the pos quality 'scab' to 'union man'

scabs are never a good thing after all.

also what kind of aussie can't spell galah?
EpicSpire
QUOTE (Bodak @ Aug 29 2011, 05:56 PM) *

Ha, i am an American, and i use than properly, and i have proof....

QUOTE (EpicSpire @ Aug 29 2011, 05:19 PM) *
well "From the Bush" and "Scab" seem to be Positive and Negative qualities. i would change the names of them slightly, just so there is a difference and no confusion. Other than that, looks good so far.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012