Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me come up with sidetracks and expansions for a run
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
SirFozzie
(my SA players, stay out)

Ok, I have the base run set in mind. Movie Star Angeli Donovan (known world wide as Angel) has a problem. Or an opportunity.

She has spent the last six months working with three different producers, two directors, and more accountants than she can count on "Suzie Shadows 3: Meltdown in Miami" It's not even done, yet, but she can tell. The movie's going to flop. I'm talking Gigli, or Waterworld level floppage. Possibly a Career killing flop.

She's found a loophole in her contract with Thunderstone Pictures (a subsidairy of a subsidiary of Ares): If her first two films made a certain amount of money, then she can formally leave the company (allowing her to go elsewhere, or at the very least renegotiate the contract to give her the right to kill projects she doesn't like.

However, there's a second rider in the contract, signed when she was just another starving LA Actress. If she is living on Thunderstone/Ares property on a certain date (less then a week from now), the contract rolls over, giving Thunderstone/Ares exclusive rights. The company's aware of the second rider, and would prefer to keep Angel around (All the suits at Thunderstone believe the third movie will outsell the first two, meaning they can lock in Angel at a low price for several more years). The Thunderstone lawyers are aware of the loophole, but figure if Angel claimed that loophole, they would have ample time to "Hollywood accounting" it away. Besides, they know they'll have exclusive rights to Angel anyway, there's no way they're letting her leave the property without signing an extension.

Which is where the runners come in

So, the goals for the mission:

A) Extract Angel from Thunderstone's highrise penthouse complex, and keep her off Thunderstone/Ares property until the deadline of the exclusive property expires
B) Acquire and preserve a copy of Thunderstone's financial statements for the first two Suzie Shadows movies..
C) If possible, find and acquire both the prints and the digital copy of the third Suzie Shadows movie, and ruin it.

These are my thoughts:

The true Johnson will be Angel herself, but of course, since she can't leave the highrise ("for her own good", Of course), she's managed to contact one of her agent's less.. public people, and paid him a stipend to act as the Johnson for the meet up.

If at all possible, Angel wants the extraction to be as clean as possible. If the extraction turns into a blood bath, she'll be burning her bridge behind her, and Thunderstone will probably be miffed enough to take action to ruin Angel's career (either releasing the Suzie Shadows 3, or.. ahem.. releasing her "casting couch audition" chip. She doesn't truly want to leave Thunderstone, she just wants A) to get paid what she deserves, and B) to have the right to say "No, this movie's crap, I won't be involved".

So: Johnson works through the team's fixer: They offer 1500 nuyen.gif in certified cred just to attend the meeting (they are pushing a TON of buttons to get this going because of the time limit), and a baseline of 10k per person (maximum 20K.. let's put it this way.. if she can truly renegotiate her contract, she'll be making enough money that the 140K nuyen.gif for the team will be an incidental cost from her first movie alone.

They have a time limit (she must be extract in the next 96 hours) and will pay extra (10-15% bonus) for a clean run.

Once they are done, they are to contact a certain commcode provided by the Johnson for further details.. and are rather surprised to find out it's Angel's commlink (if she still has it of course.. if the runners made her leave it at the high rise, they're going to be in for a bit of a rude shock)

So. Possible Complications:

A bored "eye in the sky" (this IS LA, of course) manages to spot them on the extraction, and soon it's hit Variety (and other such Hollywood screamsheets) that "desperate criminals have abducted Angel" leading THunderstone to post a $100K nuyen.gif reward for the safe return of Angel (and if the runners try to sell her back to Thunderstone, they'll readily agree.. they'll have the characters arrested and/or shot, but if the runners survive, they'll pay them the 100K when they get out of jail.. Of course, if the deadline passes, Thunderstone knowns they've lost out on retaining Angel cheap, so they'll definitely look over her contract, see the "profits" loophole and start up the Hollywood accounting ASAP.

If the runners don't (or can't) sanitize Angel's apartment, they may want to keep on the move: If the extraction was noisy, they'll probably try to get a material link to her to track her. (It'll be hard, hair and stuff no longer counts as a good enough link from what I'm reading, but there's a few sympathetic items lying around the place that they can TRY to get a material link

While in Thunderstone's database, they come across a conversation between two execs who have apparently been sabotaging Angel's movie deliberately (in one case, it's revenge for being snubbed, in the other it's trying to run Angel off to promote the exec's current squeeze in their place)

Another runner team possibly hears about the situation, and decides that Thunderstone would pay heavily to get their little movie star back before the deadline.. if they come in BEFORE the team tries to grab Angel, they actually try to kidnap Angel for ransom themselves, if after, they try to take down the party and "rescue" Angel.. or if the two execs above involved.. it'd be such a shame if Angel "accidentally" caught a bullet while being rescued from those hardened shadowrunner types, wouldn't it?

Anything else that I'm missing?
Synner667
Have a read of CrashCourse and ClipJoint, by Wilmenina Baird.

All about a bunch of folks involved in the film industry and the goings on by the stars and the company - in a scifi/cyberpunk setting.
SirFozzie
Cool. I ordered the books (used) from amazon, hopefully they'll be here this weekend
PeteThe1
Maybe movie shooting is already done, or done enough, that the studio can finish without Angel? And instead of trying to recover her, they figure they'll make extra box-office money if it's a famous star's last pic, ala Heath Ledger. Instead of trying to recover her (or as an alternative if recovery doesn't look possible), the studio's runners try and kill her and pin it on the runners.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012