Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dunk's death investigation
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Skarn Ka

We all know what really happened to the Big D, but what about the people in SR ? Who knows the truth ?
IIRC a commission was created to investigate the case (I think it's the Scott Commission). Have they only issued preliminary conclusions 6 years after the event ?
JongWK
AFAIK, the only thing they did was to clear Haeffner and Daviar from any suspicion. Some were also concerned that it would turn into a another 1950s witch hunt.

Dunkelzahn's death is still a mistery for most people.
Smiley
He's not dead! He and Elvis are sitting in their Aspen apartment laughing at you people! LAUGHING!
Herald of Verjigorm
Didn't you read the 'will?' He and Elvis are on the mothership, the photo of them doing karaoke with the aliens will be out shortly..
Beast of Revolutions
Wait, we do? I didn't hear. Who killed him, and why?
CardboardArmor
Slot up a US history textbook, flip to where it talks about the 50's-60's, and everywhere it mentions Dallas or Kennedy, slip in DC or Drunklezahn.

Everyone's got their theory, but we all know that Deus killed him with one bullet that went through 48 different entry and exit points from the grassy knoll while working for a shadow conspiracy headed by Lofwyr, Aneki, and Fidel Castro all in a bid to put Daviar in power so she could escalate the war in Vietnam because she's secretly manipulated by Ares, the Mafia, the Teamsters, Jimmy Hoffa, and the CIA.

Or something. Given some theories, mine might actually make sense.
Kanada Ten
Who killed him, and why?

Prepare to be disappointed:
[ Spoiler ]

Panzergeist
I suspected it was either suicide or he faked his death. But to stop the horrors? Why, was he too magical, and therefore attracting them? What book did you get this from?
BitBasher
it was...
[ Spoiler ]
DV8
I can't believe this has been discussed, explained, annotated, re-explained and belched out over the general populace of this forum so many times, and there are still people out there who don't know who killed Dunkelzahn.

Welcome to the wonders of the board. Glad you could join us.
The Dead Man
Not everyone reads all the books, buys all the sourcebooks etc. and so not everyone is up to speed on the story. I am rather uncomfortable with the fact that, after buying the Core Rules and all the major add ons (Rigger 3, Matrix, M&M, CC, MitS, Critters) I then have to fork out more money just to keep up to speed with the story. Bear in mind that for some people these books are hard to get hold of (Do you want to try and get Rigger 3 in the UK? Its hell, I can tell you). A little less sarcasm and a little more community spirit goes a long way.
mfb
darn RPG companies, and their twisted obsession with making a little money.
The Dead Man
Yeah, can you believe that all Ive bought is a measly seven books at £15 - £25 each just to get the core rules for the games. Shame on me for not supporting them enough.
L.D
The core rules are still only one book. And you can play with only that book if you wish. No one is forcing you to buy any of the other "core rule books".
DV8
QUOTE (The Dead Man)
Not everyone reads all the books, buys all the sourcebooks etc. and so not everyone is up to speed on the story. I am rather uncomfortable with the fact that, after buying the Core Rules and all the major add ons (Rigger 3, Matrix, M&M, CC, MitS, Critters) I then have to fork out more money just to keep up to speed with the story. Bear in mind that for some people these books are hard to get hold of (Do you want to try and get Rigger 3 in the UK? Its hell, I can tell you). A little less sarcasm and a little more community spirit goes a long way.

Who's talking about sourcebooks? Reread my post; I'm talking about what has been discussed on this forum a blazillion times before. You want community spirit? Lead by example; if you have questions after reading what has already been discussed previous, then please feel free to revive old threads, or start a new one with some pointed questions regarding information and details ommited in the first zillion times around, but please don't ask questions that really have been answered more times than I care to remember.
Kanada Ten
I can't believe you waited seven days just to rant about search engine usage.

Dean Man, you don't have to buy the books to keep up with the story. The Timeline is printed on both the main page and a searchable one is here. The books are good for the plot hooks, new toys, and story - but they are not required.

I can't believe I've bought 9 Robert Jordan books and still have to buy for to finish the same bloody story arc.
Bearclaw
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
I can't believe you waited seven days just to rant about search engine usage.

Wells said.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (mfb @ Apr 8 2004, 02:39 AM)
darn RPG companies, and their twisted obsession with making a little money.

Capitalist swine! wink.gif

QUOTE (Skarn Ka)
We all know what really happened to the Big D, but what about the people in  SR ? Who knows the truth ?
IIRC a commission was created to investigate the case (I think it's the Scott Commission). Have they only issued preliminary conclusions 6 years after the event ?

But back to this... Yeah, I would imagine there might be something in SSG or SOTA63 but AFAIK (since the last book I bought was SoNA) it's one of those things that we just aren't supposed to talk about.
The Dead Man
Thanks Kanada Ten, thats most useful. As I said its virtually impossible to get these later books in the UK without paying heinous shipping charges from the US. I did manage to find a bokshop selling 2nd Edition Sourcebooks, picked up Sprawl Sites, NA Guides to North America and Real life, Shadowbeat and Seattle Sourcebook. Theyve got a couple of 2nd Edition adventures as well, which are useful for filling in the gaps!
FlakJacket
QUOTE (The Dead Man)
Thanks Kanada Ten, thats most useful.  As I said its virtually impossible to get these later books in the UK without paying heinous shipping charges from the US.

Really? Both Leisure Games and Waylands Forge, my local store, have the three Dragonheart Trilogy books in stock and do postal deliveries- as well as a range of other Shadowrun sourcebooks.
Union Jane
But now that Shadowrun novels have gone the way of the dodo, the storylines must be presented only in the game books. Is this good or bad for the storylines? It seems better from a buyer's point of view, as I never purchased the novels anyway and have always felt out of the loop because of it.
Nath
I go back on the original topic. The Warren Commission worked between November 29th 1963 and September 27th 1964. The House Select Committee on Assassinations that reexaminated JFK and MLK case worked between 1976 and 1979. That one spent a lot of time to investigate the previous investigations and in 1979 finally just said "oh yeah, there were probably several shooters." And in SR, there was probably another commission in 2016 with the assassination of US President Jesse Garrety, the same month than Russian President and British and Israeli Prime Minister, to set another precedent for the length of such investigation.

The Scott Commission shouldn't maybe last until 2063, but it could still have been slow, depending on how they work. I'd say a minimum of two years, and up to four wouldn't seem too much. Because there are no good suspect, they'd have to interrogate experts about the likeness of such action being conduced by Alamos 20,000, Illuminates of the New Dawn, Aztlan intelligence services, CAS, Québec, Seattle independentists... they'd see magical experts to understand the ins and outs of the rift. And those would probably return with new theories in 2061 when Ghostwalker goes out of the rift (maybe an explaining for delaying final reports from 2061 to 2062, 2063 or later). They could want to interrogate dragons and great dragons about hat's happening usually when a dragon die and how could it leave no corpse. Try to imagine an UCAS Representant asking Hestaby "Miss Hestaby, you know dragon psychology better than us. What would you say of Dunkelzahn state of mind prior to his death. Did he appear worried ?"

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]
BishopMcQ
Nath--

Can you give me citations for your 2 spoilers--books, I don't need exact page numbers unless you've got them handy.

Thanks.
Crimsondude 2.0
Or he could have just stuck around for one term (like Colin Powell plans to, regardless of who wins in Nov.). Or there could just be a god awful high turnover rate in the administration (see Reagan, Clinton Administrations--where both had at least two SecDefs, and three/two national security advisors respectively).

However, I do like the idea of seeing various high-powered magical figures being called before the Commission--most notably, Ehran and Lofwyr, both of whom had dealings with the UCAS government before (specifically over Bug City) and could probably testify to things that would just blow the commissioners away.
Nath
The first comes from info from PoaD:Dunkelzahn's Secrets (composition of the UCAS government given in the chapter detailing big Players), Corporate Download (talk in Novatech chapter) and the first book of the Trilogy of Ryan Mercury (very beginning), and as I said I'm imagining some thing.

The second one comes from a chat a friend of mine had with Mike Mulvihill. I'm not at home now but I can post it later.
BishopMcQ
thanks Nath.
Nath
QUOTE (Nath)
The second one comes from a chat a friend of mine had with Mike Mulvihill. I'm not at home now but I can post it later.

[ Spoiler ]
Nath
Rereading it, I realize Mike Mulvihill had its own answer concerning the fate of the Scott Commission by 2060. I remembered something like that but was unable to find out where such idea did come from.
Crimsondude 2.0
Wow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012