Full Version: OOC: "A Case of Identities"
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk
RECRUITMENT OPEN

This is the OOC thread for the SR4 Campaign: "A Case of Identities"

The IC thread can be found here.

A word about my prior campaign (in the eye of the beholder):

I had to go awol unexpectedly for a very extensive amount of time and for that I apologize to the following players who I believed would have enjoyed said game:

Gobogen Panjandrum Seth Thanee Gortrek Leyline7 Wearzmanyskins Apertur3 J. Packer Digital Heroine

That said, I have no intention of leaving this game any time soon and have also extended the deadline for posting in order to make sure that there is a continual pace to the game.

Posting Requirements: Must post within 5 days of your last post or your character will die. Players in good standing are welcome back any time should their schedule open up again.

The basic premise of "A Case of Identities" is that all the members of the team have had some (or even a decent amount of) experience in the Seattle Shadow scene circa 2072 but have also had background in trade up and down Cal Free and the Rim of Fire in general. There are many movers and shakers in this rough and tumble region, and identities (or lack thereof) can be made and broken in an instant. As the saying goes, "It's not what you know; it's WHO you know." The often misunderstood corollary is that you can know or be anyone when the nearest a whole nuyou is just about to open on the corner a block away." The characters will be heavily involved in a wide range of interaction within the flow of identity information as well as human rights concerns etc depending on their moral outlook on life. Be wary though, as big fish swim in this incredibly small pool so characters favoring the pink(er) type hairstyle games will end up very much abbreviated.

This campaign will lend itself well to contacts, as such, for each character that writes a fully detailed background to their character as well as how they got their contacts (and spends at least 25 BP of their own 400 pts on contacts, will recieve 40 FREE BP (BP SYSTEM ONLY ACCEPTED, NO KARMA GEN TOONS PERIOD) in contacts to be spent as they wish; keep in mind however anything 4+ in contacts loyalty and connection WILL be explained in your backstory or they will not be allowed. Same with level 6 skills (though there are no current plans for a dicepool cap) if you have 5+ in any skill you MUST explain them as part of your backstory.

NOTE: Please, in your character background, include your general moral outlook etc.

Characters: 400BP + Bonus 40BP free contacts should the backstory merit it.

Under no circumstances will PVP be allowed, this is a team oriented game, and while you may injure each other if the RP calls for it, no lethal action will be condoned.

Please pay attention to basics, your characters are to be scaled so that they are decently experienced shadowrunners NOT FOtB, characters that do not have basic operational necessities (except if explained in the backstory and condoned by myself) such as commlinks (with security programs etc), rations, lifestyles etc will find that their character will soon learn the error of their ways (or just plain die off).

This will be an R-rated campaign, and focuses on survival and life on the mean and bitter Rim of Fire/ West Coast beginning in Seattle just prior to the elections. While I will not be gratuitous, I will not hold back in my portrayal of harsh (but very real) circumstances on the streets. Starvation, murder, abuse, addiction, prostitution, exploitation, rape, organlegging, and other potentially uncomfortable topics have a very good chance of showing up in the course of the campaign. Players should be willing to role-play the daily moral dilemmas and difficult questions that arise in the course of attempting to survive life in the mean streets of Seattle. Only those who play smart will be capable of attaining goal #1: Surviving to see tomorrow. Please understand that death happens and sometimes it happens through no fault of the player. I do not go out of my way to wipe out a character, their actions tend to either help them live or get them killed all by themselves, but I dont shield players that make a dumb mistake. (had to add this in after reading the thread about perception pools and some of the retarded comments there).

To quote an excellent GM on these forums, it IS ‘I need to commit petty/major crime X so I can put gas in my bike, have enough to eat today, and if I’m really lucky, go out and get trashed with my homies tonight’.

Thanks to all who show interest; I will work hard to develop character concepts in tandem with you that will work for this campaign.

When posting in OOC please follow the following rules for rolling:

Please use Invisible Castle and use your exact in game character name, (you need to create an account to log the rolls to our campaign log), the campaign name is:
"A Case of Identities" just copy paste as it is case sensitive. Here

When you roll something Post your pool (aka how you are getting to the total dice pool). I will add or subtract dice from the right hand side at all times to reflect modifiers etc. You will then have to wait for me to post in the OOC so I can tell you the results of your actions and allow you to roleplay them out in your IC post. Please also include the link to your roll, rolls not in the campaign log will count as auto-failure

A word on writing style; please keep this readable (when posting in IC thread) just as you would a book. We are working to make a story not just a number generator and it helps when you keep that in mind. Please no sigs in the IC thread.

Anyways that's my spiel. Hope someone or a few are interested in this game. I will be out tomorrow but should be back to post late sunday night PST if I see that I have interest in the game.

Current Roster:

BlackHat - Nym (Technomancer)
Panzergeist - Owen (ex-Irish Rights enforcer-cum shadowrunner)
Pragma - Koan (Ex-mafia bodyguard/teamster freshly awakened)
Seth - Jens (Hacker/mage in search of his soul)
Branmac - John Around Him (character sheet) Amerind Smuggler/Rigger For Hire
BlackHat
The pitch is definitely interesting, and it sounds like you've got a good idea of what you're looking for.

Whether or not I can find the time to put a character/background together may be another matter, but if I do, posting at least once a week should be no problem.

At the very least, I might be able to make myself helpful by suggesting a couple of questions that always seem to come up in the first few posts:

1) Which books are allowed
2) Any restrictions on metatypes (particularly those from RC)
3) Know how many players you're looking for? (Your previous game had 10?)
4) Any idea when you plan to end recruiting and start the game? (How long do people have to come up with backgrounds?)
5) Are you thinking the PCs would be an established team? or a bunch of independents who get put together for this job?

Also, the AWOL-apology is a nice touch. smile.gif These things happen, and we all understand that, but its still nice to see a GM take responsibility when it happens to them.
pragma
My eye has been caught.

I swear interesting campaigns always show up at the worst time though. I'm in a similar boat to Blackhat: short on time but kind of compelled.

I guess the two relevant character concepts I've been kicking around lately are a retired bodyguard/chaffeur type and a smuggler with a semi tractor-trailer. Details to come as I come up with them,
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Aug 21 2011, 04:40 PM) *
The pitch is definitely interesting, and it sounds like you've got a good idea of what you're looking for.

Whether or not I can find the time to put a character/background together may be another matter, but if I do, posting at least once a week should be no problem.

At the very least, I might be able to make myself helpful by suggesting a couple of questions that always seem to come up in the first few posts:

1) Which books are allowed
2) Any restrictions on metatypes (particularly those from RC)
3) Know how many players you're looking for? (Your previous game had 10?)
4) Any idea when you plan to end recruiting and start the game? (How long do people have to come up with backgrounds?)
5) Are you thinking the PCs would be an established team? or a bunch of independents who get put together for this job?

Also, the AWOL-apology is a nice touch. smile.gif These things happen, and we all understand that, but its still nice to see a GM take responsibility when it happens to them.

Unwired, Aug, Street Magic, SR4 (not 4a as i dont have the anniv edition). Arsenal, Running Wild, RC, Runner Havens are the books Ill allow. I intend to recruit for a week or till I get 5 players max whichever occurs first. The pcs will be part of an established team with free joint contacts once I weave your backstories together.
QUOTE (pragma @ Aug 21 2011, 11:22 PM) *
My eye has been caught.

I swear interesting campaigns always show up at the worst time though. I'm in a similar boat to Blackhat: short on time but kind of compelled.

I guess the two relevant character concepts I've been kicking around lately are a retired bodyguard/chaffeur type and a smuggler with a semi tractor-trailer. Details to come as I come up with them,

That would work perfectly as human trafficking will indeed have a possibility of showing up in the game along with the other fun criminal activities.
BlackHat
QUOTE (pragma @ Aug 22 2011, 02:22 AM) *

I think I may have time this weekend to put a good background together. I've been considering a couple of concepts, maybe OGDWD has a preference?

The first idea might touch a little too closely with what you have planned (if you're looking for typical runners who get swept up in the sorts of jobs you've mentioned) or it might fit great (if you were hoping the runners would be geared to these sorts of jobs). The character would be an identity thief (just a pinch of con-man, with a large helping of hacker). He's a bit paranoid, prefers to live "off the grid" and moves from ID to ID often, burning his old SINs and either forging new ones or spoofing the details as necessary. Might go with a technomancer with the Alias paragon, or make him mundane. Depending on if you'd allow the forgery rules in unwired, he might be handy at burning IDs or forging new ones, himself, but if not, his network of contacts could help him, (assuming I make room for the 25+40 points). In any case I expect his contacts will be elbows-deep in exactly the sort of underworld activities you've described, for better or worse.

The other idea is much less obviously suited to the game, but might be preferable if you're looking for more general shadowrunners, for whom these sort of jobs would be a change of pace. This character would be a digital artist - with his primary medium being making art out of elegant software (built for looks, not function - and generally background fluff since it takes so frakking long to write code in shadowrun). He would be quite a bit more face than hacker, but would probably be able to pull his own weight as the team hacker. I would consider making him an Artist's Way adept, but I could probably achieve similar results with an augmented mundane (and that would probably result in a better overall hacker), but the idea is a hacker who is well known - not for the awesome hacks he has done - but as an artist, who writes truly inspiring code. He would be fairly well known for his avant-garde approach to software design and some of the bizarre programs he released to the public (for example, an encryption algorithm that encodes the data as fractal images, or procedurally generated AROs). He's certainly not the BEST hacker you could hire for a job, but he will do the job with style (though if it involves hacking or writing new software, he'll leave his signature all over the place - which might cause a lot of customers to keep looking for someone more qualified).
Tanegar
Just out of curiosity, what's your beef with karmagen?
Right just got back to interwebs again.

QUOTE (BlackHat @ Aug 26 2011, 03:15 PM) *
I think I may have time this weekend to put a good background together. I've been considering a couple of concepts, maybe OGDWD has a preference?

The first idea might touch a little too closely with what you have planned (if you're looking for typical runners who get swept up in the sorts of jobs you've mentioned) or it might fit great (if you were hoping the runners would be geared to these sorts of jobs). The character would be an identity thief (just a pinch of con-man, with a large helping of hacker). He's a bit paranoid, prefers to live "off the grid" and moves from ID to ID often, burning his old SINs and either forging new ones or spoofing the details as necessary. Might go with a technomancer with the Alias paragon, or make him mundane. Depending on if you'd allow the forgery rules in unwired, he might be handy at burning IDs or forging new ones, himself, but if not, his network of contacts could help him, (assuming I make room for the 25+40 points). In any case I expect his contacts will be elbows-deep in exactly the sort of underworld activities you've described, for better or worse.

The other idea is much less obviously suited to the game, but might be preferable if you're looking for more general shadowrunners, for whom these sort of jobs would be a change of pace. This character would be a digital artist - with his primary medium being making art out of elegant software (built for looks, not function - and generally background fluff since it takes so frakking long to write code in shadowrun). He would be quite a bit more face than hacker, but would probably be able to pull his own weight as the team hacker. I would consider making him an Artist's Way adept, but I could probably achieve similar results with an augmented mundane (and that would probably result in a better overall hacker), but the idea is a hacker who is well known - not for the awesome hacks he has done - but as an artist, who writes truly inspiring code. He would be fairly well known for his avant-garde approach to software design and some of the bizarre programs he released to the public (for example, an encryption algorithm that encodes the data as fractal images, or procedurally generated AROs). He's certainly not the BEST hacker you could hire for a job, but he will do the job with style (though if it involves hacking or writing new software, he'll leave his signature all over the place - which might cause a lot of customers to keep looking for someone more qualified).

I like the first option, especially the techno part as they cant really get you so many times. Built for the campaign like that looks great.
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Aug 26 2011, 06:43 PM) *
Just out of curiosity, what's your beef with karmagen?

I find it makes certain archetypes too powered up and leadings to munchkinizing approaches.
Panzergeist47
Hi there. I've played Tabletop RPGs for about a year, but am new to Shadowrun. (Was going to join a campaign IRL but GM couldn't run it due to IRL issues). If that's not a problem, I'd love to apply for this game, and will come up with a concept or two over the weekend.
BlackHat
QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ Aug 27 2011, 03:06 PM) *
I like the first option, especially the techno part as they cant really get you so many times. Built for the campaign like that looks great.

Sounds good. I've been working on it, and i think a basic background and draft of a CS is almost ready (not sure if I'll finish before calling it a night, but it should be posted tomorrow). Mostly just need to come up with some details (and names) for a few more contacts and work them into the background in a way that they stand out.
QUOTE (Panzergeist47 @ Aug 27 2011, 03:02 PM) *
Hi there. I've played Tabletop RPGs for about a year, but am new to Shadowrun. (Was going to join a campaign IRL but GM couldn't run it due to IRL issues). If that's not a problem, I'd love to apply for this game, and will come up with a concept or two over the weekend.

Heya Panzer, Im down for it as long as you put in the work. This isnt generally new player friendly as it leans on alot of player wide game knowledge that their characters would have but if you are willing to work on it then post a couple concepts up here and I'll try to work with you as much as possible.
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Aug 27 2011, 09:07 PM) *
Sounds good. I've been working on it, and i think a basic background and draft of a CS is almost ready (not sure if I'll finish before calling it a night, but it should be posted tomorrow). Mostly just need to come up with some details (and names) for a few more contacts and work them into the background in a way that they stand out.

Sounds like a plan to me smile.gif.

@Pragma: Where do you stand currently?
Panzergeist47
QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ Aug 28 2011, 07:28 AM) *
Heya Panzer, Im down for it as long as you put in the work. This isnt generally new player friendly as it leans on alot of player wide game knowledge that their characters would have but if you are willing to work on it then post a couple concepts up here and I'll try to work with you as much as possible.

If by that you mean knowledge of the setting, that's not a problem - though the Matrix was a bit tricky to wrap my head around, I've got a decent/working knowledge of the worlds (as presented in the 20th Anniversary Edition rulebook), but of course, any help a more experienced player can give me would be greatly appreciated, and I'll do my best to reciprocate. smile.gif

Got one semi-fleshed out concept at the moment, and two others that are still barebones (Ork Way of Silence Adept and Human rigger/pilot/medic). I'll edit the other two into this post after lunch:

The first one is an human street samurai, of Irish+Welsh descent and bearing a grudge towards Elves for "taking my homeland" (former Humanis Policlub member; though that's now part of a "Big Regret", he still has a Prejudice against Elves{He was not born in and has never been to Ireland}). He's an adrenaline junkie, two parts ranged combatant, one part face, with maybe some minimal hacking thrown in. Since leaving Humanis Policlub (by way of acquiring a fake SIN and new identity, and moving to the other side of the continent), he's simply been trying to make ends meet and have a good, fun time doing so.
BlackHat
QUOTE (Panzergeist47 @ Aug 28 2011, 07:39 AM) *
... but of course, any help a more experienced player can give me would be greatly appreciated, and I'll do my best to reciprocate. smile.gif

Always happy to help out. One thing to consider (that I might suggest to any new player) is the "Common Sense" quality, from runner's companion. For 5 BP, whenever the GM thinks you're doing something foolish, he is supposed to warn you. Whether that kind of fax-paus insurance is worth 5 BP or not is up to you, but if you want to spend the 5BP elsewhere, you can always rely on asking the other players or something.

I like the details in the street-sam concept, so far. I *suspect* that the fact that he left one identity behind, and has picked up a new one on the west-coast, will put him in a good position for the upcoming jobs OGDWD has in mind. Maybe he still owes the people who get him his new SIN some favors, or maybe in the process of getting his new life set up he made some contacts in the business of matching people with new identities.
BlackHat
Name: “Nym” aka “C-Squared”, “Middleman”, “Shadowman”, “The Arsonist” and a long long list of other aliases - some of which he “borrowed” from other hackers/runners. He’s likely to be going by a different name by the time any of you meet him.

Concept: ID Thief, Tin-hat Wearing Conspiracy Theorist, SINless and Proud

Background: (A bit long and rambley, but I tried to touch on everything in the CS)
[ Spoiler ]

Character Sheet [400/400]

[ Spoiler ]
Panzergeist47
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Aug 28 2011, 02:48 PM) *
Always happy to help out. One thing to consider (that I might suggest to any new player) is the "Common Sense" quality, from runner's companion. For 5 BP, whenever the GM thinks you're doing something foolish, he is supposed to warn you. Whether that kind of fax-paus insurance is worth 5 BP or not is up to you, but if you want to spend the 5BP elsewhere, you can always rely on asking the other players or something.

I like the details in the street-sam concept, so far. I *suspect* that the fact that he left one identity behind, and has picked up a new one on the west-coast, will put him in a good position for the upcoming jobs OGDWD has in mind. Maybe he still owes the people who get him his new SIN some favors, or maybe in the process of getting his new life set up he made some contacts in the business of matching people with new identities.

Haha, thanks for the nod about Common Sense, but I trust myself enough to not herp a derp and go into every situation guns blazing xD.

Glad you like the Street-Sam so far. I try to put in a couple of hooks when I make a character. smile.gif (speaking of which I think I'll stick with this guy unless OGDWD dislikes him)
QUOTE (Panzergeist47 @ Aug 28 2011, 05:39 AM) *
If by that you mean knowledge of the setting, that's not a problem - though the Matrix was a bit tricky to wrap my head around, I've got a decent/working knowledge of the worlds (as presented in the 20th Anniversary Edition rulebook), but of course, any help a more experienced player can give me would be greatly appreciated, and I'll do my best to reciprocate. smile.gif

Got one semi-fleshed out concept at the moment, and two others that are still barebones (Ork Way of Silence Adept and Human rigger/pilot/medic). I'll edit the other two into this post after lunch:

The first one is an human street samurai, of Irish+Welsh descent and bearing a grudge towards Elves for "taking my homeland" (former Humanis Policlub member; though that's now part of a "Big Regret", he still has a Prejudice against Elves{He was not born in and has never been to Ireland}). He's an adrenaline junkie, two parts ranged combatant, one part face, with maybe some minimal hacking thrown in. Since leaving Humanis Policlub (by way of acquiring a fake SIN and new identity, and moving to the other side of the continent), he's simply been trying to make ends meet and have a good, fun time doing so.

As black hat has said, please play up your new identity, when doing your backstory provide the MO to get into identities and other more... shall we say... unsavory aspects of life in the biz. btw I dont have the adept mini book so keep that in mind. I like the street sam/face combo though and it sounds like a start; just need to hear more on what makes him tick.
pragma
QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ Aug 28 2011, 02:28 AM) *
Sounds like a plan to me smile.gif.

@Pragma: Where do you stand currently?

I have a background and mostly finished sheet for the bodyguard/chaffeur concept. I've included a character portrait/pitch and a link to the sheet below. I'm just trying to decide on some finishing touches and whether I want to go for the 25 points of contacts; shaving off another 17 BP would be painful but I might yet bite the bullet.

The trucker is slower going mostly because I realized that buying a big rig would suck down more than half of my starting cash and I lacked the willpower to finish the character thereafter. I'll take another stab at it soon.

However, I need to warn you my schedule is bad this week and will be miserable next week. Things should clear up after that, but I have all these pesky deadlines in the near future.

Koan character pitch:
[ Spoiler ]

Character Sheet (mostly done)
@black hat.

I really like the character thus far but am edgy about the erased quality. Imo RAW makes it way too powerful even if it somewhat fits with the character. I would be willing to let it stand so long as you understand that someone somewhere is doing the erasing and that they may come home to roost one of these days. Another thing that snagged my attention, Im assuming the Black Cross is just a Secular NA version of Black Crescent? Also, just wanted to say that youre constant loner status may impede your ability to work as a close team so you might want to write something in that allows for team-centric rp. Maybe found/join an anarchist commune so there's a good segue for you to care about something?
BlackHat
QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ Aug 28 2011, 12:53 PM) *
@black hat.

I really like the character thus far but am edgy about the erased quality. Imo RAW makes it way too powerful even if it somewhat fits with the character. I would be willing to let it stand so long as you understand that someone somewhere is doing the erasing and that they may come home to roost one of these days. Another thing that snagged my attention, Im assuming the Black Cross is just a Secular NA version of Black Crescent? Also, just wanted to say that youre constant loner status may impede your ability to work as a close team so you might want to write something in that allows for team-centric rp. Maybe found/join an anarchist commune so there's a good segue for you to care about something?

I'm happy to remove the erased quality if you would prefer, otherwise I'm fine with saying it is some awesomer-than-me technomancer, AI, or other resonance entity that took an interest in Nym when he took "Alias" as his Paragon. I basically imagined it would be some (supernatural?) force constantly trying to erase him from digital existence (whether he appreciates it or not) since his emergence... sort of forcing him to keep jumping from identity to identity, in keeping with Alias's desires.

Black Cross was listed in the groups contact section of RC as an example (anarchists who help people on the run get new identities and escape old ones), and mentioned Black Crescent was similar, but gave no details about it, so I wasn't that sure what Black Crescent was, actually. biggrin.gif I tried googling it and found some shadowrun wiki stuff that basically made them both sound like the same thing, but however you want to rule it, I can roll with it.

I think I want to keep the loner aspect (since his paragon and paranoia force him to move around a lot and not trust people), but I'll work on adding something in to help give him a reason to connect with this particular group (who, hopefully, will be moving around a lot, too). Shouldn't be too hard.
I like the chauffeur just surprised at how low your reaction is, not as pro a driver as I expected. Also if you look at your magic column you overcharged yourself (it should cost 40 because the 1st point is included with being a magician) so thats 10bp right there. The legal sheet looks good but the contacts one looks confusing.
BlackHat
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Aug 28 2011, 01:02 PM) *
I'm happy to remove the erased quality if you would prefer, otherwise I'm fine with saying it is some awesomer-than-me technomancer, AI, or other resonance entity that took an interest in Nym when he took "Alias" as his Paragon. I basically imagined it would be some (supernatural?) force constantly trying to erase him from digital existence (whether he appreciates it or not) since his emergence... sort of forcing him to keep jumping from identity to identity, in keeping with Alias's desires.

Also, as long as it remains a POSITIVE quality, I'm fine with you handling erased however you like (or I can remove it, or just replace it with Obscure or something). If it will become In Debt or some other negative quality, then I'd rather have the points back. wink.gif

I think I want to keep the loner aspect (since his paragon and paranoia force him to move around a lot and not trust people), but I'll work on adding something in to help give him a reason to connect with this particular group (who, hopefully, will be moving around a lot, too). Shouldn't be too hard.

Let's say Nym as a loner by circumstance more than by choice. His lifestyle and mental handicaps don't afford him a lot of real-life friends, and he prefers the anonymity of the matrix, in general. He's prone to packing up an disappearing on short notice, which makes him a little unreliable (as teammates go), but he gets lonely when he has to start over with a new life somewhere, and if he found a team of runners with a similarly nomadic lifestyle (rather than a team who wants to pick a single sprawl and build a reputation in the shadows there), then he would be happy to work with them until given a reason to leave... at which point, he can disappear without leaving much of a trace behind. Of course, being a paranoid guy, he would probably always have one foot out the door, but unless something spooks him, or gives him a push, he understands the usefulness of having friends and contacts in the Shadows.

Also, in general, Runners are the sort of people he's likely to identify most with. They universally live under assumed identities, and live off of The System while trying to live outside of it. He may have strong opinions about particular jobs (for example, accepting a job from a corporate Johnson would advance the corporate objective), but I've already said he's a bit of a hypocrite, and he can probably justify it (for example, accepting a job from one corp to sabotage another, might be acceptable, especially if it may result in sparking more inter-corporate conflict).

Sound better, or are you looking for something more concrete (like a trusted contact with higher loyalty)?

Panzergeist47
Character Sheet

Background:
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts:
[ Spoiler ]
pragma
QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ Aug 28 2011, 02:02 PM) *
I like the chauffeur just surprised at how low your reaction is, not as pro a driver as I expected. Also if you look at your magic column you overcharged yourself (it should cost 40 because the 1st point is included with being a magician) so thats 10bp right there. The legal sheet looks good but the contacts one looks confusing.

The contacts one isn't done, still in flight on trying ot find those 25 points. Might not go for it. I'll keep you posted, also let us know if there's a deadline for finished sheets.

The low driving pool is a shame; the concept has been a bit of a moving target so points are spread thin. I'm looking into it, but rigging wasn't at the heart of the build.

BlackHat
QUOTE (Panzergeist47 @ Aug 29 2011, 12:28 PM) *
Almost got the character sheet done, I'm onto Gear, and thought I should ask - what is more cost-efficient: having Cybereyes with vision enhancements, smartlink, etc. or just relying on the inherent enhancements of certain weapons?

Some thoughts (without references the books to make sure my claims are 100% accurate, so take everything with a grain of salt)...

Not sure what you mean by the inherent enhancements of certain weapons. If you mean mods or weapon categories that affect range/accuracy verses using smart-link/image-mag to get a bonus across the board, it probably depends on which dimension you're looking at as the "cost". The nice thing about getting cybereyes (or contacts/glasses) with smartlink and vision-mag is that, as long as your guns are all smartlink-modified, you can use the same interface for multiple weapons (assuming you have more than one). The alternative to those is to get a scope on each weapon with the smartlink/visonmag built in (or other modification from Arsenal) but then you need to attach them to a specific weapon. You also have to spend an action "taking aim" to benifit from a scope, so most characters who are good at guns pick up smartlink/vision-mag as a vision enhancement (either augmentation or eye-wear), so in terms of action-economy it is probably best to get as many bonuses from the character as you can, rather than from any one specific weapon.

Cybereyes are a bit more expensive, and cost essence, but they come with a few advantages over contacts/glasses - namely that you're only without them in really extreme circumstances (where you could have been killed, anyway). A character with glasses may have them more easily removed (although there are not really rules about them being knocked off in combat, a called shot might do it). Contacts are good, but usually can't hold both enhancements (since the availability goes too high). In either case, you have to consider how the gun and the vision-mod will talk to one another. By default, they can just talk wirelessly on your PAN, but that is prone to jamming or hacking, so you may want to get them skinlinked (cyberware can be DNI, but you still need a way to connect your cyberware to your firearm).

In previous editions of Shadowrun, it used to be the case that DNI (cyberware) smartlink was better than smart-link goggles you wore outside of your body, but in SR4 that isn't the case, so its really a question of how discrete you want to be, and if you have other stuff you'd want to put in your eyes, or if you have other things to spend essence on. For example, with cybereyes, you could probably cram smartlink, vision-mag, vision enhancement (for perception bonuses), low-lgiht and thermographic vision (for when the lights go out) and maybe a tool laser or something, and it would all fit... but in order to get all those enhancements in gear on the same device, it would have to be bulky goggles, or maybe wouldn't fit at all.

Anyway, does that help answer your question?
Panzergeist47
Yes, thanks, that answers it for me, thanks.

I wasn't aware of Skinlinking! I'd thought I'd have to just slave everything to my Commlink to take advantage of its System and Firewall ratings to protect from Hacking. Skinlinking sounds like it is quite a bit more useful, but are you sure it can be used on guns? It mentions "any electronic device" in the rulebook but I just want to doublecheck.
BlackHat
Yepp, it is even listed in Arsenal as a weapon modification (takes one slot, costs 50 nuyen). Of course, arguably, you'll need to hold your weapon with a bare hand (one with skin), but its a small price to pay to not use wireless. wink.gif
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Aug 28 2011, 12:10 PM) *
Also, as long as it remains a POSITIVE quality, I'm fine with you handling erased however you like (or I can remove it, or just replace it with Obscure or something). If it will become In Debt or some other negative quality, then I'd rather have the points back. wink.gif

Let's say Nym as a loner by circumstance more than by choice. His lifestyle and mental handicaps don't afford him a lot of real-life friends, and he prefers the anonymity of the matrix, in general. He's prone to packing up an disappearing on short notice, which makes him a little unreliable (as teammates go), but he gets lonely when he has to start over with a new life somewhere, and if he found a team of runners with a similarly nomadic lifestyle (rather than a team who wants to pick a single sprawl and build a reputation in the shadows there), then he would be happy to work with them until given a reason to leave... at which point, he can disappear without leaving much of a trace behind. Of course, being a paranoid guy, he would probably always have one foot out the door, but unless something spooks him, or gives him a push, he understands the usefulness of having friends and contacts in the Shadows.

Also, in general, Runners are the sort of people he's likely to identify most with. They universally live under assumed identities, and live off of The System while trying to live outside of it. He may have strong opinions about particular jobs (for example, accepting a job from a corporate Johnson would advance the corporate objective), but I've already said he's a bit of a hypocrite, and he can probably justify it (for example, accepting a job from one corp to sabotage another, might be acceptable, especially if it may result in sparking more inter-corporate conflict).

Sound better, or are you looking for something more concrete (like a trusted contact with higher loyalty)?

Sounds perfect; that is what i had in mind in general on both counts anyways and yes erased is a positive quality.
QUOTE (pragma @ Aug 29 2011, 10:36 AM) *
The contacts one isn't done, still in flight on trying ot find those 25 points. Might not go for it. I'll keep you posted, also let us know if there's a deadline for finished sheets.

The low driving pool is a shame; the concept has been a bit of a moving target so points are spread thin. I'm looking into it, but rigging wasn't at the heart of the build.

No problem, we will start once I feel pleased with the team and everyone meshes.
@panzer: I like the background and cant wait to see the actual sheet. A note about the eyes etc. My personal choice is to deck out eyes because, as black hat said; if they are taken you are in a lot more trouble than you can prob survive anyways. A not on skinlinking as well while I'm at it: if you are barehanded etc then count on leaving lots of cellular goodies for people to find. In the end though it is always a toss up as the more secure something tends to be, the less efficient it is...
Panzergeist47
Character Sheet. Got 9 BPs left to spend on Contacts, but it's almost 11 PM over here and my head's swimming a bit with my latest attempt to understand the Matrix, so I'll have it finished tomorrow.

I wonder, is it possible to have palmless gloves? Have the skinlink attach there, whilst still leaving most of the hands covered?

If not, it's no big deal, I think my guy would just laugh it off as a minor hazard not worth worrying about.
BlackHat
Yeah, you should be less worried about leaving flecks of skin around, and worry more about having your blood shed all over the place. smile.gif Its pretty hard not to leave DNA all over the place, and dealing with hackers is probably more common than having a forensics team tracking you down - but that might depend on the kind of jobs you end up taking.

EDIT: That is IMHO, though. If OGDWD says we should worry about exposed skin, we probably should... but we'll also need chemical sealed armor, respirators and a whole bunch of c-squared splash grenades for operations cleanup.
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Aug 29 2011, 03:05 PM) *
Yeah, you should be less worried about leaving flecks of skin around, and worry more about having your blood shed all over the place. smile.gif Its pretty hard not to leave DNA all over the place, and dealing with hackers is probably more common than having a forensics team tracking you down - but that might depend on the kind of jobs you end up taking.

EDIT: That is IMHO, though. If OGDWD says we should worry about exposed skin, we probably should... but we'll also need chemical sealed armor, respirators and a whole bunch of c-squared splash grenades for operations cleanup.

Paranoia is your friend. If you leave evidence, count on the corps to use it. Whether or not they come after you, that depends on how much damage you do... make it cost effective and pretty much anyone will come visiting.
QUOTE (Panzergeist47 @ Aug 29 2011, 02:55 PM) *
Character Sheet. Got 9 BPs left to spend on Contacts, but it's almost 11 PM over here and my head's swimming a bit with my latest attempt to understand the Matrix, so I'll have it finished tomorrow.

I wonder, is it possible to have palmless gloves? Have the skinlink attach there, whilst still leaving most of the hands covered?

If not, it's no big deal, I think my guy would just laugh it off as a minor hazard not worth worrying about.

Ok a few things im noticing:

you cannot have a skill group higher than rating 4 at chargen. So thats 10 pts there that need to be reallocated. Also your math is wrong on totals: you have spent 166 even with influence skill group at 4. 25 bp in nuyen = 125,000 not 121k. although i checked your total and you are indeed at 391.
Panzergeist47
Alright, I've fixed those three problems. I'm pretty much done now unless you find things that need to be edited.

Only thing I'm still not sure of is whether Cybereyes/Ears/Limbs can be rendered unhackable with Skinlinks. If so, great, I'll spend my remaining ¥350 on skinlinking them, but it just seems so cheap and effective that it can't possibly work. nyahnyah.gif
BlackHat
If you cared to, you could even disable the wireless interfaces altogether (or have someone else do it for you), and the main disadvantage for doing so is basically fluff (which is that cyberware needs regular maintenance, and by enabling wireless, the cybertechnician can basically bring up a diagnostic without having to dig the cyberware out of your flesh. Of course, as often as I have had a shadowrunner go under the knife in play, I usually don't mind people not being able to bring up diagnostics on my cyberware. wink.gif

Also, for exposed cyberware, like cyberlimbs, ears, and eyes, you could easily have exposed fiberoptic ports (requiring a hardline connection, which is difficult to establish when you're conscious).

It's mostly, like, if you have an auto-injector in your body... you might want to know if the thing is leaking... and without the default wireless diagnostics you'd have to have a street doc cut you open and check on it once in a while.
BlackHat
Also, in the SR universe, just about everything has RFID tags, or a wireless interface, and when you're not up to no good, average Joe Citizen isn't worried about hackers, or coporate security tracing his wireless devices... so sometimes having all of your wireless disabled makes you stand out. Oh, and if the cyberware was restricted at all, and obvious enough that people could tell you had it at a glance, it would be expected that it would broadcast your license information (tied to your SIN) so the authorities would know that you are authorized to have it.
A note to follow what black hat said. All of the above is true but keep in mind this is a mirror-shades type campaign as it was set out. I play with the full advanced medical rules etc and "its just fluff" is also likely to lead into very unhappy circumnstances. I pay alot of attention to fluff in campaigns because it helps the immersion especially for myself as a GM. Everything has a weakness and a strength, its up to you to keep them in mind. Generally though given that eyes and ears are DNI based I usually keep mine turned off or slaved to my commlink. However alot of my characters also roll out with internal commlinks for just that reason. You cannot skinlink them but you can slave them if you wish or just flat out turn off wireless enabled (however if you do gl using that image link or any of the nifty bits about commlinks).
@ Panzer: where did you meet your contacts/ what makes them tick? I dont see them mentioned in your backstory.
Panzergeist47
QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ Aug 30 2011, 05:36 PM) *
A note to follow what black hat said. All of the above is true but keep in mind this is a mirror-shades type campaign as it was set out. I play with the full advanced medical rules etc and "its just fluff" is also likely to lead into very unhappy circumnstances. I pay alot of attention to fluff in campaigns because it helps the immersion especially for myself as a GM. Everything has a weakness and a strength, its up to you to keep them in mind. Generally though given that eyes and ears are DNI based I usually keep mine turned off or slaved to my commlink. However alot of my characters also roll out with internal commlinks for just that reason. You cannot skinlink them but you can slave them if you wish or just flat out turn off wireless enabled (however if you do gl using that image link or any of the nifty bits about commlinks).

Well in that case I'll keep the wireless stuff on and just slave it to my commlink (and hope for the best)

I've edited details for the contacts into my backstory, near the end.
BlackHat
Found a problem with Nym. Complex forms can't exceed resonance, and I forgot that I couldn't afford 6 resonance. I'll probably shuffle some points around to make sure I can, but I'll have to work out where the extra 15 points will come from. Will update soon with a final version.
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Aug 30 2011, 05:05 PM) *
Found a problem with Nym. Complex forms can't exceed resonance, and I forgot that I couldn't afford 6 resonance. I'll probably shuffle some points around to make sure I can, but I'll have to work out where the extra 15 points will come from. Will update soon with a final version.

kk just let me know. Id like to have the campaign rolling by next week/the end of this week.
Seth
Hi

Is there any space for another character or are you full? If there is space, is there a preference for the type of character?
BlackHat
QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ Sep 1 2011, 11:17 AM) *
kk just let me know. Id like to have the campaign rolling by next week/the end of this week.

Will get the changes out tonight. I'll be on vacation in England next week, with no idea how much internet I will be able to get (guessing my smartphone isn't going to work over there). I don't want that to slow down the introduction to the game, though - since that is when everyone is most excited to post... so if that's a problem you can either write me in shortly after or just give my spot to someone else and put me on a waiting list or something.
QUOTE (Seth @ Sep 1 2011, 08:27 AM) *
Hi

Is there any space for another character or are you full? If there is space, is there a preference for the type of character?

WOOT! I was hoping you would turn up seth... any chance you want to use Jens for this campaign? His... proclivities are fairly appropriate for this one after all biggrin.gif

btw your inbox is full; tried to send you a message when I started the recruiting.
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Sep 1 2011, 09:09 AM) *
Will get the changes out tonight. I'll be on vacation in England next week, with no idea how much internet I will be able to get (guessing my smartphone isn't going to work over there). I don't want that to slow down the introduction to the game, though - since that is when everyone is most excited to post... so if that's a problem you can either write me in shortly after or just give my spot to someone else and put me on a waiting list or something.

No worries mate its a soft deadline. I want the team assembled first as well as I may just do some soft intro so the team starts to mesh as a running group prior to technical game start (where you guys actually DO become a team).
Seth
WOOT! I was hoping you would turn up seth... any chance you want to use Jens for this campaign? His... proclivities are fairly appropriate for this one after all

Thanks!

Yes I would like that a lot. Jens was a fun character, fatally flawed! I'll reread the thread and tweak him if needed for the campaign.

Looking forward to Dark Days in Identity Management!

Seth
OK recovered Jens.

If anyone objects to Mr Vampire I am very happy to play another character. There are very few campaigns that I would put this character forward for, but this one read Grim and Gritty.

Although I am a hacker, I am no where near in the same league as a Technomancer, and am very comfortable with being second fiddle.

Spreadsheet here

Backstory
[ Spoiler ]

Looks
[ Spoiler ]

Character sheet
I have played quite a bit of shadowrun since I made Jens, and realise that I need more Electronic Warfare and probably cybercombat. I'll tweak him a bit, but this is how he was:
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts
[ Spoiler ]
You have my go ahead which is all you need. Whether or not the other characters will know that or will care is interesting to figure out. However, I figure that many of these people have principles.... if the clients dont like them, others may be provided for a fee. Be useful to them as you will and given that the team will start in a fairly desperate world, everything should be just dandy.

If you need to change the skills do so but just make sure the points all stack up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012