Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Optimal Use of Edge Chart
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mistakil
I could not find anything similar posted here, although I HAVE to believe that this has been done many times before, in many different forms and formats...

Optimal Use of Edge Chart (XLS) - GMs keep walkin' nothin' to see...

Hopefully, I have not made any errors in logic or application and am happy to evaluate and/or remedy any issues. I think I have honed the presentation and supporting text pretty well.

The chart does not attempt to factor in aspects of Edge conservation by favoring the post roll expenditure of Edge to avoid spending Edge on the front-end in case a lucky (enough) base roll is in your future. For higher dice polls the concept is irrelevant since as dice pools climb the post roll expenditure of Edge becomes mathematically preferable.

Additional search terms: when to use edge, optimizing edge use, edge statistics, using edge efficiently, using edge optimally
pbangarth
A couple of years back a bunch of us on DS showed using algebra and calculus that the turning point for Edge use before or after the roll is where the dice pool before adding Edge dice is 2.5 times the Edge. A smaller dice pool is likely to benefit more from adding Edge before and rerolling 6s, and a larger pool is likely to benefit from waiting and rerolling misses. The latter has the hard to calculate benefit of waiting to see if you got lucky.
Mistakil
Yes, that is correct. If you look on the 2nd tab "The Guts" it states that, with the caveat that you need to round down. Also it works out that if you are Edging after the initial roll, that the tipping point is 1.2 times the Edge Score (rounded down). It is comforting to have validation and agreement. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012