Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Arcana business
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Seth
I am planning on running a shadowrun game with some friends. One of the players is very keen on economics, so I am planning on making the players be a "start up", and we can run the economics of the shop through a spreadsheet. The intension for the game over the next few (real) years is to grow it into a full business, maybe even a corporation

There appears to be a lot of roleplaying fun here:
  • Missions to collect rare arcana
  • Commissioned missions
  • Dealing with protection rackets
  • Setting up trade routes from deepest darkest <insert continent> for rare leafs / herbs / roots...
  • Dealing with corporate bullying who want to recruit / buy out the business...
  • Stealing arcana from mega corps...
  • Chasing down people that have stolen "their" arcana

I wonder if you have any advice for character types, encounters, missions, opportunities or threats.
Tanegar
The word you're looking for is "telesma." Arcana is a Logic-linked skill used to develop spell and focus formulae. Telesma are the physical objects and substances that go into making foci.
Neraph
There's a thread around here somewhere that actually deals with this. It's an optimized group of Prime Runners who are able to make a few million nuyen.gif a year by creating orichalcum with alchemy. I didn't bookmark it though...
Seth
telesma

Thanks. Glad that got sorted before the game got going...otherwise it gets very messy.

There's a thread around here somewhere that actually deals with this. It's an optimized group of Prime Runners who are able to make a few million a year by creating orichalcum with alchemy.

My google-fu is weak, and I didn't find the reference. It demonstrates there is nothing new under the sun.
Tanegar
"New" is overrated. I'll take a well-worn tale, expertly told, over something completely original told by an idiot. See David Eddings' work. Original? Hardly. Damn good books? Damn straight.
Makki
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 30 2011, 11:57 AM) *
There's a thread around here somewhere that actually deals with this. It's an optimized group of Prime Runners who are able to make a few million nuyen.gif a year by creating orichalcum with alchemy. I didn't bookmark it though...

sounds fun. what you need:
x Mages for the Enchanting,
a Survival expert for the Location Test and surviving,
a travel organizer,
a face to deal with locals and authorities,
a business guy who actually runs the store front,
a weapons expert for security.

can be any group from 3 to 6+ chars. would be a nice campaign imho.
phlapjack77
Sounds really cool!

For a brick-n-mortar store game, it seems like you should also add the relationships the store has with others to the spreadsheet. All of the different groups (gangs, police, government, corps, runners, etc) are going to be able to affect the store moreso than a usual hard-to-find runner team.
Seriously Mike
I even have a name for your company: Tiger Telesmatics. You could even start a telesma store franchise called El Gizmo Mondo! biggrin.gif
(yeah, I am being ironic here. Not like you wouldn't figure it out from the second name.)
Neraph
There was a magic item shop game released earlier this year for the computer. Give it a spin and get some ideas. I don't remember exactly the name of the game, but the main character was something like "Rosa" or "Rosalina"...
LostProxy
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 31 2011, 05:23 PM) *
There was a magic item shop game released earlier this year for the computer. Give it a spin and get some ideas. I don't remember exactly the name of the game, but the main character was something like "Rosa" or "Rosalina"...

On steam yes? Where you would try and juice adventurers for all their gains.
CanRay
So exactly like Talismongers and Shadowrunners or Wageslave Wizwyrms. nyahnyah.gif
LostProxy
Exactly! You got to be the leech for once. And it felt good. Arrg, I've played this game but I can't remember it and it's bugging me.

On topic though my first thought was "Competition will be fun." Rival stores, especially fake mom and pop ones run by the Corps, will make business difficult. No one ever said the free market was cuddly.
CanRay
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale.

And Talismongering legitimate Foci (Focus? Focuses? Latin was never offered in my schools) is one of the areas where small businesses do reign supreme. You just can't mass produce them, which Corporations can't wrap their heads around. S-K (On account of having a FRICKIN' DRAGON in charge) and Aztechnology are the only two with major chains going, and even their stuff is typically considered not as good as the Mom & Pop shops. They do, however, control vast territories of virgin land for the raw materials, and charge for collecting items from it quite highly, so they make their cash easily enough, which is passed onto the consumers.

Makes Poaching and Black Market Talismongering almost legitimate, "And we pass the savings onto you, and not the DAMNED CORPS THAT RAPE OUR LANDS!!!"
Seth
Lol I enjoyed reading the above posts thank you.

We are kicking off in a few days. All the players are aged 14 to 17 so it's going to be quite intense. I'll get them to name the group!

Any suggestions for the first game?
CanRay
"Moby Dick II: Ishmael's Revenge"?

They are tasked to get a ritual sperm sample from a white sperm whale?
Seth
They are tasked to get a ritual sperm sample from a white sperm whale?

Being 14-17 I might run into trouble with their mums. And that would be bad. Very bad.
CanRay
Ah, right, sorry. Going for immature humor and went too far. Sorry.
Neraph
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 1 2011, 06:55 PM) *
"Moby Dick II: Ishmael's Revenge"?

They are tasked to get a ritual sperm sample tooth from a white sperm whale?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012