Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Building a fixer
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mister Juan
I've been toying around with the idea of trying to build a "fixer" type character, on the basic 400bp. Strangely enough, things are coming along quite nicely and easily... except for one area, which is, in my opinion, the main building block: contacts.

Now, the main issue I find myself against is not having enough BPs to get EVERYTHING. Usually, in game, fixer always seem to have something of an almost unlimited web of contacts. This works well enough for NPCs, but for a PC, it's a whole other ball game.

So, here is my question for all you fine folks: what would be the barebone/essential contacts you would give a fixer? That is, beside knowing lots and lots of runners and potential runners.

Top of my head, this is what I can think of:
-ID Forger
-Money Launderer
-Fence
-Smuggler
-One "supply" type contact for each of the gear category (Weapon, Armour, Vehicles, Software, maybe Magical)
Mardrax
Note you don't need someone as a contact to know them, or to have dealt with them.
Contact status just makes them easier, and more reliable to deal with.

Also, look into group contacts.
Also, a fixer tends to be the fence.
Traul
Don't forget Johsons. A fixer that cannot find jobs is not a fixer.
CanRay
Some Fixers generalize, and just have a lot of contacts in different areas. They tend to be more expensive, and can't get the really rare stuff, but have a broader range of services and products they can procure. I typically just call these "Fixers" as a general term.

They specialize from there, with fingers in other pots because no job is an island in the Shadows.

"Shoemakers" are what I call ID Experts.
"Launderers" are self-explanatory.
"Fences" are experts in disposing of hot goods, while "Pawners" are experts in dealing with legit goods. Yes, different requirements and different skillsets.
Smugglers aren't Fixers in my book, but "Traffic Controllers" are people that handle contracts with Individual Smugglers/Smuggler Groups.
"Gunsmiths" in Shadowparlance are weapons dealers of all types, including blades and exotics. "Armourers" specialize in body armour, and typically only deal with exotics (If you want a plain Armoured Jacket, go somewhere else. If you want one with massage liners, a Biomonitor, and Thermal Dampening, he's your man.). "Honest Car Lots" are vehicle procurement/disposal experts, while "Shadow Garages" deal with modifications. "Warez Dealers" handle Software, while "Deckmeisters" have kept their old name despite working on CommLinks. Talismongers deal with magical materials, of course, and might be legit in some way as well.

This is just in my head, but it gives a nice bit of jargon to add to the Shadows in my mind...

EDIT: Fixers specialize in people, BTW. Which means they're the Go-To people for Mr. Johnsons and Shadowrunners no matter who else you know.
Bodak
Nate (from Heat) is my favourite example fixer.

He also knew a shadow doc. That tends to be an important contact to have at high Loyalty.
whatevs
I wouldn't build a face (or a fixer) without some law enforcement contacts. Uber useful.
CanRay
QUOTE (Bodak @ Sep 4 2011, 08:35 PM) *
Nate (from Heat) is my favourite example fixer.
Now I got to watch that movie again.

Was going to have to anyways. Excellent example of the use of intimidation without saying anything. Not everything has to come with a pithy line.

'Course, as folks here have mentioned a time or two, I seem to be frightening without even trying. Imagine if I started?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012