Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Extended lung capasity
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Stingray
..just for fun of it, i started to make cybered adept, and started to wonder as if is possible
to have Improved sense (extended lung capasity) that works like Internal air tank- cyberware..

any rules about that??

Saint Hallow
Lung capacity isn't a "sense"... in Street Magic there is a new adept power called Iron Lungs which give +30 seconds (10 Combat Turns) per rating.
CanRay
Handy when your legs are in concrete and you only have Plastique to get them out with...
Stingray
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 5 2011, 09:52 AM) *
Handy when your legs are in concrete and you only have Plastique to get them out with...

so true.. if you do not have to care for your essence rating.. wink.gif

hmmm...eyes..check, ears..check, internal air tank..check, datajack...check, muscle toner....check,....counting..
d***n!! 1.12...hmm...Adding Biocompatability( cyberware) BING!!! losing only under 1 point of essence...
all set.. cyber.gif
CanRay
Kid Stealth reference, actually. That's how he lost his legs.
Stingray
..and part of his sanity..(IMO) biggrin.gif

(Chauffor did REALLY good job when stealth were tossed in the water..)
(leaving explosives to Kid Stealth...) sarcastic.gif

when u are cybered already, blasting legs off, and getting cyberllimbs or death...decision is very easy..
Elfenlied
QUOTE (Stingray @ Sep 5 2011, 08:41 AM) *
so true.. if you do not have to care for your essence rating.. wink.gif

There are cloned limbs available that do not cost essence. Makes Cyberlimbs kinda redundant, unless you want them for the capacity.
Stingray
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 5 2011, 12:20 PM) *
There are cloned limbs available that do not cost essence. Makes Cyberlimbs kinda redundant, unless you want them for the capacity.

???.. and missing chance to freak people out w/ your new shiny Raptor-looking cyberlegs...not in this life!!
Mäx
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 5 2011, 12:20 PM) *

Or want something a little more durable then the meat limb you just lost cyber.gif
Elfenlied
QUOTE (Mäx @ Sep 5 2011, 10:44 AM) *
Or want something a little more durable then the meat limb you just lost cyber.gif

Nah, that just makes it harder to blast off with C4 the next time I receive Sicilian swimming lessons wink.gif
Stingray
2 words: modular cyberlimb.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Stingray @ Sep 5 2011, 12:03 PM) *
2 words: modular cyberlimb.

We have methods for this here in Middle-Eastern Europe: wrapping a guy in wire fence mesh with a couple of paving slabs. Local mob used this to dispose of some of their stiffs. Makes them really hard to find.
Saint Hallow
QUOTE (Stingray @ Sep 5 2011, 03:20 AM) *
(Chauffor did REALLY good job when stealth were tossed in the water..)
(leaving explosives to Kid Stealth...) sarcastic.gif

Actually, no one knew the Kid had explosives hidden in a secret cyber compartment.

My fav thing about Wolf & Raven was the influence of Doc Savage & his team.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Saint Hallow @ Sep 5 2011, 11:34 PM) *
Actually, no one knew the Kid had explosives hidden in a secret cyber compartment.

You reminded me of that story where a guy hid an Ares Predator in a cyber compartment. Near his butt. "I pull a gun out of my ass." - "What?!" - "I - pull - a - gun - out - of - my - ass." - "Let me see your character sheet." *stunned silence* "I'll be damned. He really pulls a gun out of his ass."
Saint Hallow
Getting back on topic, the Adept power adds 30 sec per rating. The air tank adds 2 hours. I have to say the cyberware winds this one. Only issue with this is the air tank will be picked up by MAD, unless the tank is made from all plastics, which seems possible/plausible.

If someone wanted to insure a majority of their cyberware is made from MAD proof materials, is there a way to do that?
Traul
QUOTE (Saint Hallow @ Sep 6 2011, 02:31 AM) *
I have to say the cyberware winds this one.

Pun intended? nyahnyah.gif
Only issue with this is the air tank will be picked up by MAD, unless the tank is made from all plastics, which seems possible/plausible.

If someone wanted to insure a majority of their cyberware is made from MAD proof materials, is there a way to do that?

So what? It's 100% legal. Trying to conceal it can only raise further suspicion if it fails.
Saint Hallow
Unless the person who has it says they got the non-metallic version due to rejection/allergy... it's plausible. It's a 100% legal thing to get, so why hide it as you said. Just never hurts to take every precaution. If the Chauffer ran a MAD scanner or cyberware scanner over Kid Stealth before he tossed him into the water, there be a different story. Don't count on the OpFor do make stupid mistakes or overlook something.

A majority of major medical implants are using plastic/non-metallic components to help minimize rejection & allergies. I hope in SR, this is even more advanced & improved upon.
Traul
1) There are MAD scanner counter in Runner Companion, but they are all highly illegal. Using an illegal counter to hide legal ware is just not worth it. But MAD scanners are not supposed to detect cyberware, they are supposed to detect guns. Millimeter wave scanners are here for cyber, and nonmetallic components does not seem to bother them.
2) The scanner rules are yet another clusterfuck anyway. Per RAW, millimeter wave scanners are just plain better than MAD scanners at everything and have no counters. If you want the RAW answer: cyberware is obvious to scanners and there is no way around it at all. Higher grades raise the threshold but even at delta grade it is not reliable.

If the Chauffer ran a MAD scanner or cyberware scanner over Kid Stealth before he tossed him into the water, there be a different story. Don't count on the OpFor do make stupid mistakes or overlook something.
But you still count on them to drop you in the river alive instead of doing the sensible thing and just shoot you? nyahnyah.gif
Saint Hallow
This occurred at my LARP. The heroes had infiltrated some evil guy's lair. He saw the heroes & started some monologue. As he was talking, the guy playing the barbarian looked at everyone and yelled "WHAT ARE YOU DOING? HE'S MONOLOGUING! KILL HIM!"

After pausing the game for 30 minutes because everyone fell over laughing, they collected ourselves & charge the bad guy. They killed him. When the storyteller/marshal came up afterwards, he had a stunned look on his face. He never though anyone would actually interrupt the speech that would set-off the killer boobytrap.
Elfenlied
Juse use Oxyrush Nanites, they're way harder to detect.
Saint Hallow
The Oxyrush nanites look good, aren't too expensive for what they are, & are essence friendly it seems when compared to the internal air tank.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Saint Hallow @ Sep 6 2011, 12:09 PM) *
The Oxyrush nanites look good, aren't too expensive for what they are, & are essence friendly it seems when compared to the internal air tank.

P4MO, or whatever it is called (The "Blue Goo") is also a pretty good option.
Critias
QUOTE (Saint Hallow @ Sep 5 2011, 08:31 PM) *
Getting back on topic, the Adept power adds 30 sec per rating. The air tank adds 2 hours. I have to say the cyberware winds this one.

Yeah, but it's not like that's unusual. rotfl.gif
Mongoose
QUOTE (Traul @ Sep 6 2011, 03:38 AM) *
So what? It's 100% legal. Trying to conceal it can only raise further suspicion if it fails.

Making an implanted air tank out of plastic isn't "trying to conceal it" - its plain old common sense engineering. Scuba tanks aren't made from metal for the same good reasons (weight, failure mode, pressure tolerance), and then with implants you also have the whole bio-compatability thing.
Unless its specifically required, there's really no good reason for ANY implant (or cyberlimb) to contain metal. Carbon fiber makes for better structural components, piezo-plastics are more versatile than motors, etc. You might still see it in various electrical systems, but I'd guess (with certain obvious exceptions like Ti bonelacing) that's it.
Miri
QUOTE (Mongoose @ Sep 7 2011, 07:24 PM) *
Making an implanted air tank out of plastic isn't "trying to conceal it" - its plain old common sense engineering. Scuba tanks aren't made from metal for the same good reasons (weight, failure mode, pressure tolerance), and then with implants you also have the whole bio-compatability thing.
Unless its specifically required, there's really no good reason for ANY implant (or cyberlimb) to contain metal. Carbon fiber makes for better structural components, piezo-plastics are more versatile than motors, etc. You might still see it in various electrical systems, but I'd guess (with certain obvious exceptions like Ti bonelacing) that's it.

Short of some room/body temp super conductor it is really hard to beat gold in terms of body reactivity and and energy conductivity.
Elfenlied
I fail to see why the material of the air tank should matter. A simple 450 Nuyen Scanner still only needs a single hit to detect your ware.
Mardrax
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 8 2011, 10:05 AM) *
I fail to see why the material of the air tank should matter. A simple 450 Nuyen Scanner still only needs a single hit to detect your ware.

The difference is in getting into that club, unfettered by the MAD scanner.
Elfenlied
Is there any reason to use a MAD scanner when a Cyberware/millimeterwave scanner will accomplish the same?
Mardrax
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 8 2011, 10:58 AM) *
Is there any reason to use a MAD scanner when a Cyberware/millimeterwave scanner will accomplish the same?

A millimeterwave scanner picks up on everything, a MAD scanner just on magnetically active materials.
Traul
Exactly. So what's the reason not to use the one that picks up on everything? Most internal cyberware should already be nonmetallic anyway: there are not that many metals that are not toxic, do not rust and do not get rejected, and the ones that fit the bill are expensive. Hence the reason why it is the millimeter wave scanner that was dubbed as cyberware scanner, not the MAD scanner.
Elfenlied
Maybe my wording was unclear. I meant it as in "why use the more restricted scanner, when there's a cost-effective scanner that picks up everything is available?".
Mardrax
QUOTE (Traul @ Sep 8 2011, 12:30 PM) *
Exactly. So what's the reason not to use the one that picks up on everything? Most internal cyberware should already be nonmetallic anyway: there are not that many metals that are not toxic, do not rust and do not get rejected, and the ones that fit the bill are expensive. Hence the reason why it is the millimeter wave scanner that was dubbed as cyberware scanner, not the MAD scanner.

Yet, the MAD scanner at the club, or at airport security isn't looking for cyberware. It's looking to prevent you bringing potentially harmful objects into their security zone. Like weapons, which tend to be made out of steel.
A millimeterwave scanner picks up on everything. Flesh, bone, steel, plastic, carbon fiber. This means the person using them has to be trained in interpreting the results. Far more so than the club's bouncer, just standing beside the MAD scanner gate, who asks anyone who makes it beep to empty their pockets, take off their shoes, and when it still makes them beep, give them a good frisking.

It's simpler tech, more exclusive in what it picks up, which makes it far easier to operate.
Elfenlied
The text in the cyberware scanner says that it comes with software that automatically identifies the cyberware in question.

Besides, security will want those, especially with implanted weapons available. Even more so when you allow nonmetallic modificitations, similar to firearms.
Stahlseele
And even if the internal airtank shows up on the scanner . . who cares?
It's as legal as the datajack and the set of cyber eyes and ears too . . .
KarmaInferno
Huh. The average real-life SCUBA air tank holds roughly an hour's worth of air. It is large, bulky, and heavy.

The Internal Air Tank holds two hours worth of air. It is smaller than one of a human's two lungs, as it is stated to replace part of a lung. Heck, it's technically small enough to be placed in a cyberhand.

You can compress air into smaller spaces, but even at the volume of a SCUBA tank the pressures involved are already considerable and potentially dangerous.

Twice as much air, in a space a tiny fraction the volume? The weight alone will be noticeable. And given the likely pressure it's under, what happens if it gets ruptured?

smile.gif

-k
Stahlseele
SR3 had rules for that actually.
i think it was 8D Deadly Damage, no armor allowed, aside from bone and skin armor . .
Critias
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Sep 8 2011, 08:26 AM) *
And given the likely pressure it's under, what happens if it gets ruptured?

In SR4? Nothing. In SR3? You got screwed pretty hard.
Stahlseele
The SR4 Variant is Clan-Tech Munchkinism with built in CASE . .
Elfenlied
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 8 2011, 03:55 PM) *
The SR4 Variant is Clan-Tech Munchkinism with built in CASE . .

Somehow, I'm reminded of this.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 8 2011, 05:59 PM) *
Somehow, I'm reminded of this.

That at least ist worth remembering!
Miri
How.. disturbing..

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/0...ews-9?hpt=hp_t2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012