Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Odin 2072
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
PresentPresence
Well, I don't know that much about Norse Mythology, but I skimmed the Wiki page on him. I think Odin is a pretty cool guy. eh has cool stuff and doesnt afraid of anything...

Character:
Troll: Long arms and Thermographic Vision. Wait for it...
SURGE 1: Elongated Arms, Balance Receptor (Wait for it...), Extravagant Eyes (So, the dude took out one of his eyes and tossed it in a well just so he could drink from it? Badass. But hey, let's make that one eye into a mirror-eye, and cover it with an eyepatch! Bonus of "see your own guts when I disembowel you" and a motherfraggin' eyepatch!)
Adept, Artisan Way: Keep waitin'...

Items of note:
Sleipnir: 8-legged horse. Let's make it a motorcycle. Standard mods, but leave room for Smoke Projector and Searchlight (Infrared). Also save room for Pimped Ride 2, so that the front of the motorcyle is a horse's head, smoke comes out of its nostrils, and it red glowing eyes are searchlights. Awww yea.
Gungnir: Magic spear. Pretty obvious - weapon focus. With a custom look, of course.
Huginn and Muninn: Scouting ravens. Steampunk Drones for style; FlySpy drones for utility. You better pimp those rides.
Geri and Freki: Two wolves. I mean, GM-Nissan Dobermans. Throw on Pimped Ride 'cuz you can. Maybe you could put two sidecars on the motorcyle for this posse.

What does he do? He drives his motorcyle around and stabs people with his magic spear. That's pretty much what Odin did back in the day, right? If not, he should have. Do RL physics say that he would probably hurt his arm if he did that? Who cares? Thoughts?
ggodo
THIS IS YOUR RIGGER!
THE ALL FATHER IS COME!
Jhaiisiin
That's awesome. Time to make a norse-themed runner team.
CanRay
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Sep 11 2011, 10:39 PM) *
That's awesome. Time to make a norse-themed runner team.
*Cough*

Not to mention even having a Ásatrú Mr. Johnson.
Critias
Don't forget lots of Distinctive Style points...in exchange for catching flak from anyone with a grudge against Winternight. wink.gif
CanRay
You know drek's going to hit the fan when someone points out Winternight to a Ásatrú or such.
PresentPresence
Distinctive Style is a given. Sometimes I wish I had more room for negative qualities. grinbig.gif Please, handicap my character! It makes it more fun!

I don't know much about Ásatrú, but wouldn't this character be kind of blasphemous? Also, where's Geri?
CanRay
If the guy thinks he's Odin, yes.

If he's just named Odin, well, how many people out there are named "Jesus"?

"What kind of name is 'Jesus' anyhow?" "A Biblical one." "Yeah, no s***."
PresentPresence
I think I would go with "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". Idolizes Odin to the point that it is blasphemous. How come whenever I write that it looks like Blast Phurnace?

Question for GMs: Rocks fall, Mohawk dies?
Question for Players: How would your characters tolerate this guy?
CanRay
Most people? "Odin was a hard core Motherslotter! Damn straight it's wiz to emulate him!"

A true believer Ásatrú? They'd be upset, how much so depends on how deep their faith and how many times they've been hit in the head.

Sindri, my Magician, would be offended, but would mostly understand. Probably remind the guy just how much he's being offended when it gets out of hand. A Force 2 Lightning Bolt should do it.

Jon Johnson? Well, depends on his mood. He's kind of touched in the head after having a building fall on him.

A true believer... Well, Ásatrú aren't as hard core as the original religion was, but they're not big on "Turning the other cheek".

Winternight remnants would just kill the guy first from being offended, and then go for the rest.
PresentPresence
So what kind of dicepools can we realistically get out of this guy?

For driving his motorcycle, he could probably get: 7 Pilot Groundcraft (Aptitude) + 3 Improved Non-Combat Ability: Pilot Groundcraft + 2 Specialization (Wheeled is such cheese, motorcycles will suffice) + 3 Reaction (Natural) + 2 Improved Physical Attribute: Reaction 2 + 2 Improved Reflexes 3 + 2 Betameth (WOOOO!) + 2 Handling + ? Motorcycle Gyro Stabilization + 3 Gearhead* + 1 AR** = at least 27 dice, not bad.
*Handling Modifier +1 "during a single scene"
**To eventually be replaced by Attunement (Item)

For stabbing people, he could probably get: 4 Blades + 2 Improved Combat Ability: Blades + 2 Specialization (Pole Arms, right?) + 4 Agility (Natural) + 1 Improved Physical Attribute: Agility + 1 Kamikaze (Because why the fuck not?) + 2 Weapon Focus Force 2* + 1 Personalized Grip + ? Attribute Boost: Agility + ? Reach Modifier = at least 17, a very desirable pool.
*Or a Force 4 if you feel like it

As for DV, I'm not so sure. Let's take a look: [9 Strength (Natural) + 1 Improved Physical Attribute: HHHRRRNNNGGGHH + 2 Kamikaze + ? Attribute Boost: Strength] / 2 + 2 Spear + ? Martial Arts* = At least 8P. That's less than your average Stunbolt, but who cares about fraggin' wizkids?
*Good luck getting this one by your GM. I Googled "Viking Martial Arts" and got diddly, but they are your only access to increased Blades DV. Player: "I use a blend of Sangre y Acero and Arnis de Mano to joust that grunt." GM: " wobble.gif "

Why is there no option to increase DV and/or AP for weapons in Arsenal or Street Magic? "HOUSERULE LOLZ" Okay, I get it, I'm just sayin'...
Critias
QUOTE (PresentPresence @ Sep 12 2011, 10:09 AM) *
Why is there no option to increase DV and/or AP for weapons in Arsenal or Street Magic? "HOUSERULE LOLZ" Okay, I get it, I'm just sayin'...

Why would their be? DV's a pretty big deal, and it's not like there are tremendous DV differences from one weapon to the next. Do we really need tricked out gimmick knives that do more base damage than claymores?
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 12 2011, 07:06 AM) *
If the guy thinks he's Odin, yes.

If he's just named Odin, well, how many people out there are named "Jesus"?

"What kind of name is 'Jesus' anyhow?" "A Biblical one." "Yeah, no s***."
Just pronounce it Jesús and it becomes a lot more popular, in Spanish speaking countries at least. Who knows what names will be en vogue in 60 years.

QUOTE (PresentPresence @ Sep 12 2011, 05:09 PM) *
You already mentioned two possibilities for a DV increase on blades: Sangre y Acreo and Arnis de Mano. The others of course are Escrima, Kali, Eztlitzli and Ars Cybernetica; capped at +3 though. As for a DV increase based on the creation of the weapon there is no rule for it and rightly so, the system is too granular to reflect differences in manufacturing quality. You can get an indirect increase (via more hits) by getting a personalized grip. It is not clear if a weapon's DV is an "appropriate Physical rating" and as such would be increased by a possessing spirit.
CanRay
Biblical names never seem to go out of style. I wonder why that is?
PresentPresence
QUOTE (Critias @ Sep 12 2011, 10:24 AM) *
Why would their be? DV's a pretty big deal, and it's not like there are tremendous DV differences from one weapon to the next. Do we really need tricked out gimmick knives that do more base damage than claymores?

As long as we also have tricked out gimmick claymores. I mean, a simple "Monofilament Edge" or "Heavy Load" modification would suffice - no need to go crazy. I just think that in the world of Shadowrun they would have a way to do stuff like this. If they can weave Delta-Amyloid into armor clothing why the hell can't they weave it into a knife? Charge 500 x (Reach + 1), add 1 DV. Charge 1000 x (Reach + 1), add -1 AP. Of course, this would suck for spears because only the end bit is pointy, but you get the picture.
What I think is crazier is that many people on the boards are trying to figure out ways to make their weapons more magical than + dicepool. People have thrown out cool ideas like Ally Spirit possession, Spirit Calling, etc. but the devs haven't seen this cry for help?

"Critical Weapon Strike" - .5 per level: This power uses magic to increase the Damage Value of your melee weapon attacks, as you strike with more proficiency and power. Each level of Critical Weapon Strike increases the character’s Damage Value in armed melee combat by +1. Critical Strike be used in astral combat. The use of Critical Strike must be declared with the Melee Combat attack.

"Elemental Weapon Strike" - .75: This power can only be developed by characters who already possess the Critical Weapon Strike power. Elemental Weapon Strike enhances the effects of Critical Weapon Strike with an elemental effect. The specific elemental effect must be chosen at the time the power is bought, though an adept may take this power more than once to achieve different elemental effects (only one elemental effect may be applied per strike). While active, the power wreathes the adept’s melee weapon with a visible effect appropriate to the chosen element. Activating Elemental Strike
is a Simple Action, after which the effect lasts for (Magic attribute) Combat Turns.

Was that really so hard? And no offense is meant towards you Critias: I love your work.
CanRay
War!
Seriously Mike
Suddenly, my idea of outfitting a sports car with two concealed Yakusoku launchers looks bland. I'll see what else can I stuff into it. wink.gif
pbangarth
Actually, Odin only uses his spear twice in all creation: once in the fight with the giants at/near the start of the world, and once to start Ragnarok to end the world. he is a sneaky, scarily badass magician, though.

EDIT: Which, of course, would be a great reason for purists to go after this guy.
CanRay
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 12 2011, 01:36 PM) *
Actually, Odin only uses his spear twice in all creation: once in the fight with the giants at/near the start of the world, and once to start Ragnarok to end the world. he is a sneaky, scarily badass magician, though.

EDIT: Which, of course, would be a great reason for purists to go after this guy.
Well, let's see... Insane Wisdom from sacrificing an eye and Knowledge from a self-sacrifice of being hung upside down for nine days with no relief of any kind (The spear again) even for an Ćsir... And two ravens, Huginn and Muninn (Thought and Memory), who fly around the world and speak all of the secrets into his ears...
Jazz
QUOTE (PresentPresence @ Sep 12 2011, 06:03 AM) *
Distinctive Style is a given. Sometimes I wish I had more room for negative qualities. grinbig.gif Please, handicap my character! It makes it more fun!

According to "American Gods", liar. And a damn good one.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 12 2011, 09:04 PM) *
And two ravens, Huginn and Muninn (Thought and Memory), who fly around the world and speak all of the secrets into his ears...

Memory and Thought, jet black and clawed...
CHILDREN OF THE ELDER GOD! YEEEEAH!!!
CanRay
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Sep 12 2011, 04:58 PM) *
Memory and Thought, jet black and clawed...
CHILDREN OF THE ELDER GOD! YEEEEAH!!!
On the second playthrough, I noticed something about the stage that happened around that song looping.

The thing that sets it off is a Thunder Bolt. ... And who guided them there, like he had knowledge and wisdom beyond that of mortal men?

Makes one think.
Ascalaphus
I think it's a badass character concept, let me say that first. It screams pink mohawk.

Historical/mythological accuracy... meh. While Odin's sort of a father god, and has slain warriors taken from the battlefield to Valhalla, the Norse also though he was a lecherous, sneaky bastard who dabbled a bit too much in creepy black magic. Thor was a more popular god because he wasn't so treacherous while being much more of a warrior most of the time.

But hey, that shouldn't stop you, because this is a cool character concept, and biker warriors can beat up mythology nerds every time. This sounds like a rough dude who found his calling in life, roll with it.
Sengir
QUOTE (PresentPresence @ Sep 12 2011, 04:20 AM) *
Adept, Artisan Way: Keep waitin'...

Odin discovered rune magic (by nailing himself to the world tree with his own spear, not much of a book type apparently), so he should be a pretty badass mage. An aspected mage, however, manipulative magic was viewed as something distinct and effeminate.
CanRay
A lot of early Ork culture loved the Vikings. They were tough bastards, too. Just ask Kham.
PresentPresence
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 12 2011, 02:04 PM) *
...self-sacrifice of being hung upside down for nine days with no relief of any kind...

QUOTE (Sengir @ Sep 12 2011, 06:53 PM) *
Odin discovered rune magic (by nailing himself to the world tree with his own spear, not much of a book type apparently)...

I know which Initiatory Ordeal I'm taking. Wow,the Suffering ordeal actually specifically alludes to this. As for Mystic Adept, well, you do get access to some cool stuff like Vehicle Mask and Flak...wait a second. Screw that drek! I wanna be seen. Or, at least, I don't care if I am. The only reason this character would take Mystic is for Analyze Device, but I always thought that was a retarded spell anyway. "Yeah, I know this is a motorcycle; I ride it all the time. But now I know even more that it is a motorcycle, so now I can drive it better." I'd rather it just told me that those blinking lights were from a soykaf maker, not a bomb.
CanRay
Well, you know that one cylinder is running lean and it's time for a tune-up... nyahnyah.gif

Lame for Shadowrunners, but think about a low-powered magician computer bench-tech that can know what's wrong with a system just by touching it? Or, with a gaes, literally waving a chicken over it. "Don't worry, Sir, it's a rubber chicken. I don't practice blood magic, even with animals."
Mardrax
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 13 2011, 04:22 PM) *
Well, you know that one cylinder is running lean and it's time for a tune-up... nyahnyah.gif

Lame for Shadowrunners, but think about a low-powered magician computer bench-tech that can know what's wrong with a system just by touching it? Or, with a gaes, literally waving a chicken over it. "Don't worry, Sir, it's a rubber chicken. I don't practice blood magic, even with animals."

I'd go with spraying something with pesticide. "Just getting rid of the bugs, sir."
CanRay
Might not be a good idea with computer equipment... You'd have to be very careful with liquids around electronics. Even optical-based systems...
Mardrax
That's why you're spraying the case, not the circuit board.
CanRay
Point.
Sengir
QUOTE (PresentPresence @ Sep 13 2011, 05:18 AM) *
The only reason this character would take Mystic is for Analyze Device, but I always thought that was a retarded spell anyway.

He could also summon spirits, like two guidance spirits appearing as ravens wink.gif

PS: And of course the Odincycle needs speakers to blast Amon Amarth in best Apocalypse Now style biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012