Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Denver: Some more info?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GM Lich
As I mention in other thread I posted recently that I'm starting a shadow run campaign again using shadowrun missions as the base guide. My question is there an official supplement for Denver, I tried searching but I was unable to find anything. Thanks. If not can someone give a link that does give a good general 2070s overview of Denver?
Grinder
You need Spy Games, which includes ~80 pages about the current state of Denver.
PeteThe1
The early 2050s-era Denver: City Of Shadows boxset is obviously outdated by the 2070s, but does include maps of how the city is divided, and a lot of locations and NPCs, a lot of which are probably still around. There's also Year Of The Comet detailing Ghostwalker's first arrival, and Shadows Of North America has a chapter about how things changed upon his rise of power.
ravensmuse
And Dragons of the Sixth World includes information on Ghostwalker and what he's planning on doing in Denver. There's also the 2006 1st Quarter Fanpro Commando Quarterly, which updated Denver to the 70s (pre-Spy Games; this is what I'm using for my own Denver campaign) and was used for Missions.
GM Lich
QUOTE (PeteThe1 @ Sep 12 2011, 01:01 AM) *
The early 2050s-era Denver: City Of Shadows boxset is obviously outdated by the 2070s, but does include maps of how the city is divided, and a lot of locations and NPCs, a lot of which are probably still around. There's also Year Of The Comet detailing Ghostwalker's first arrival, and Shadows Of North America has a chapter about how things changed upon his rise of power.

QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Sep 12 2011, 03:37 AM) *
And Dragons of the Sixth World includes information on Ghostwalker and what he's planning on doing in Denver. There's also the 2006 1st Quarter Fanpro Commando Quarterly, which updated Denver to the 70s (pre-Spy Games; this is what I'm using for my own Denver campaign) and was used for Missions.

Thank you thats exactly what I needed. Is there a good recommended site for buying and downloading these pdfs?
PeteThe1
QUOTE (GM Lich @ Sep 12 2011, 09:57 AM) *
Thank you thats exactly what I needed. Is there a good recommended site for buying and downloading these pdfs?

Google search and torrenting software? I've no idea where to physically find game books that have been out of print for a decade.
Critias
Spy Games can be found here, Shadows of North America here, Year of the Comet here.

Of them, I think Spy Games is going to give you the most information for what you seem to want (general Denver setting info, for the early/mid 2070's). I mean, I'm not trying to tell you not to buy other stuff, don't get me wrong, SoNA is a book I use all the time, and YotC details some pretty major stuff that happened in the Shadowrun timeline...but of the three, Spy Games is the one with the most detailed, most up to date, Denver setting information. I say that doing my best to be impartial about the three products, mind, but I won't claim to be entirely so. wink.gif

The old Denver Boxed set is something of a Shadowrun rarity. Check eBay or something, maybe, but like most awesome old RPG boxed sets, it can be pretty tough to find.
ravensmuse
Cause you're not biased or anything, are you Crit? Nah, not at all wink.gif

I check ebay for book prices every so often, and was actually browsing last night. Dragons of the Sixth World goes for about thirty; Year of the Comet and Shadows of North America go for around ten or so.

Here's what ebay pulls up for Denver. Of course, I'd love to wrap my grubby paws around that, but a one hundred dollar price tag makes it a "paw at the screen" item currently.

Crit, give me the quick summary 100 word summar of Spy Games. How much is actually espionage stuff, and how much of it is Ghostwalker making Denver his own mini-fiefdom for him and the Awakened?
Critias
Spy Games is a Denver book to page 88, then there's (some) Denver-centric plot hooks from 167-170. The rest of it is more general espionage stuff, ranging from the half-awesome (and half-written-by-other-people) Places of Interest chapter, with glorious, amazing, write-ups on Austin, Nairobi, and the Kansai district (and then some other write-ups of some other places), to the phenomenal Tradecraft chapter (renowned not only for wit and reliability, but the dashing good looks of its writer and the unarguable charm of Thorn, its narrating character). I’m only at 84 words so far, so I’ll close with “it’s about half Denver.”

There you go. 100 words, according to Word. wink.gif But honestly, in terms of page count it really is about a 50/50 split. Denver gets the Facts at Your Fingertips (14 pages), Denver History (16 pages), Neighborhoods (11 pages), Corporate Interest (15 pages), Culture of Politics (18 pages), and Criminal Elements (14 pages) treatment.

From there it branches out to Places of Interest (Ustin, Brussels, Kansai, London, Nairobi, Tel Aviv, total 16 pages), Tradecraft (14 pages, counting some NPCs), Counterintelligence and Extraplanar Intelligence (17 pages), and then 28 pages of Equipment and rules (mixed IC and OOC).

All in all it's a 170 page book, 88 of which are Denver.
PeteThe1
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Sep 12 2011, 01:27 PM) *
Here's what ebay pulls up for Denver. Of course, I'd love to wrap my grubby paws around that, but a one hundred dollar price tag makes it a "paw at the screen" item currently.

Wow that bad? I got mine at off a used rack for $12. Even still had the player-handout folding maps and border passes.
ravensmuse
QUOTE (PeteThe1 @ Sep 12 2011, 05:37 PM) *
Wow that bad? I got mine at off a used rack for $12. Even still had the player-handout folding maps and border passes.

Then, sir, I hate you. Officially.

Of course, I also walked into a gaming store and dropped 50$ and picked up all of the Planescape boxed sets, four of the softcovers, and most of the promotional material. They came with me in the car when we moved smile.gif

Thanks Crit. Now, how much of the Denver stuff is ooga-booga spy stuff, and the rest general Denver stuff?
Critias
It's really pretty general Denver stuff. I mean, a little espionage and politics have always been a part of Denver (just by the nature of the city), but it really is mostly straight-up Denver material.
Grinder
QUOTE (PeteThe1 @ Sep 12 2011, 10:01 PM) *
Google search and torrenting software? I've no idea where to physically find game books that have been out of print for a decade.

He asked for a place to legally buy PDFs, what makes your answer wrong on several levels.
Giabralter
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Sep 13 2011, 01:26 AM) *
Then, sir, I hate you. Officially.

Of course, I also walked into a gaming store and dropped 50$ and picked up all of the Planescape boxed sets, four of the softcovers, and most of the promotional material. They came with me in the car when we moved smile.gif

Thanks Crit. Now, how much of the Denver stuff is ooga-booga spy stuff, and the rest general Denver stuff?

There's also the free Adventures in Denver, Here. http://www.shadowrun4.com/missions/downloads-season-2/
Zoot
Have you got the 'Welcome to Denver 2071' article from Commando Quarterly?
This was the official Intro pack for the Denver missions.

If you haven't got it (and if your google-fu is weak) I will see if I can upload it.
LurkerOutThere
Here i'll provide a link. Here

Also, piracy is bad kids.
Zoot
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Sep 14 2011, 04:36 PM) *
Here i'll provide a link. Here

Thanks smile.gif

So We have covered off everything Denver?

• Original Denver box-set
  • Dragons of the Sixth World
  • Shadows of North America
  • Year of the Comet
  • The Denver Missions Intro article (and missions)
  • Spy Games

Oh, and there is a couple of pages in the Sixth World Almanac, too.
LurkerOutThere
This is partially personal bias but I would skip Dragons of the sixth world as it's very little on Denver and more on how cool and awesome Ghostwalker is and how super powerful and all the dragons are just so curious about him.

Basically Ghostwalker runs Denver as his personal fiefdom bypassing Megacorp interests in favor of small businesses and especially holding out Saeder-Krup becaease he's just so cool and powerful. The reason the powers-that-be let him get away with it is pretty much nothing but author fiat. He really doesn't change much other then the ZDF can now cross borders (of course that raises the question of why not just dismantle the borders) also evidently he dictates tertms to the people who supply his troop compliments,

Things you need to know about Denver:

It's divided Berlin set in North America, think border checkpoints the whole bit, there's a bit more movement then Berlin but you can't get anywhere without going through a border checkpoint, fortunately the guys at the checkpoints tend to be pretty corrupt but they will usually stop you from carrying anything obviously illegal.

I haven't read through spy games completely, I just haven't had the time but it's likely your easiest to find source of information. My personal suggestion is you downplay or ignore the Ghostwalker aspect as it doesn't add much to the setting and takes quite a few mental contortions to make work.

Also the whole point of maintaining Denver as it is being that it's a symbol of the Ghost Dance war treaty that divided North America into it's bite size chunks. A treaty that should have been null and void the second Ghostwalker pulled his Mary Sue Godzilla bit and removed the Azzies from the picture.

Grinder
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Sep 15 2011, 02:58 AM) *
Things you need to know about Denver:

It's divided Berlin set in North America, think border checkpoints the whole bit, there's a bit more movement then Berlin but you can't get anywhere without going through a border checkpoint, fortunately the guys at the checkpoints tend to be pretty corrupt but they will usually stop you from carrying anything obviously illegal.

This is not how things in Cold War-Berlin worked (remember, things changed in 1990). One could cross sector borders in West-Berlin without problem; it was the border between East-Berlin (the then-Soviet sector) and West-Berlin (the other sectors) where things got problematic.
ravensmuse
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Sep 14 2011, 08:58 PM) *
Basically Ghostwalker runs Denver as his personal fiefdom bypassing Megacorp interests in favor of small businesses and especially holding out Saeder-Krup becaease he's just so cool and powerful. The reason the powers-that-be let him get away with it is pretty much nothing but author fiat. He really doesn't change much other then the ZDF can now cross borders (of course that raises the question of why not just dismantle the borders) also evidently he dictates tertms to the people who supply his troop compliments,

This is why Dragons of the Sixth World is important in the context of Denver - because it explains Ghostwalker's motivations for Denver post-2061.

Ghostwalker is one of the foremost masters in spirits and is basically the magician-scientist of the current circle of Great Dragons, constantly pushing the boundaries of current magical knowledge. Because of that, he's very sympathetic to the Awakened, and he feels very strongly about their wants and needs. They stress that he is a strict but loving patron and that he cares for the people in his fiefdom very much.

So he pushes for small, family and Awakened interests in his home turf, encouraging self-motivators and start-ups who look for alternate methodology to current corporate interests. He does this the same way any town or government would - making it hard for big business to flourish and easier for start-ups to grow roots (via levies, taxes, tax breaks, injection of capital through side-means, etc, etc).

tl;dr: Ghostwalker's portfolio is very pro-Awakened (magicians, changelings, free, spirits, critters), pro-small business (they hurt the Gaiasphere less), and establishing an environment that is conducive to his research and people he enjoys being around. It's not that weird, ad the manner in which he goes about establishing that is relatively well thought out.

He especially has it out for SK because of dragon politics. This is a carry-over from the rivalry Dunkelzahn and he had with Lofwyr back in the day.

Now, is this important in your game? It is in mine, which is why DotSW is an important reference point for me, and why I recommend the book to people interested in post-2061 Denver.

And I linked to the Commando Quarterly .pdf in my first post guys, but thanks smile.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Grinder @ Sep 14 2011, 09:43 PM) *
This is not how things in Cold War-Berlin worked (remember, things changed in 1990). One could cross sector borders in West-Berlin without problem; it was the border between East-Berlin (the then-Soviet sector) and West-Berlin (the other sectors) where things got problematic.
Can't blame 'em for not knowing.

I mean, do some of the kids that post here even remember the Berlin wall coming down? nyahnyah.gif
Malbur
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 14 2011, 10:52 PM) *

I mean, do some of the kids that post here even remember the Berlin wall coming down? nyahnyah.gif

I... do not. nyahnyah.gif That being said, I was only 1 year 4 months and 5 days old, so I think I'm allowed to not remember it.
CanRay
Had to explain what CCCP stood for to someone not much younger than me. No excuse for that.

Let's get back to Denver. It's much nicer there. The buses run on time under Ghostwalker!
Grinder
QUOTE (Malbur @ Sep 15 2011, 06:41 AM) *
I... do not. nyahnyah.gif That being said, I was only 1 year 4 months and 5 days old, so I think I'm allowed to not remember it.

So you don't next to nothing about WW2 or the Civil War 'cause you weren't even born back then? grinbig.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 15 2011, 04:52 AM) *

That's why I gave the brief rundown on how things were handled back in the day.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Grinder @ Sep 15 2011, 03:26 AM) *
So you don't next to nothing about WW2 or the Civil War 'cause you weren't even born back then? grinbig.gif

With the state of Education being what it is these last few decades... Well... *Shrug*
LurkerOutThere
I am actually fairly aware of how things worked in Berlin Grinder, but that is what the city was designed to evoke, i was trying to highlight the differences.
BishopMcQ
QUOTE (Zoot @ Sep 14 2011, 11:02 AM) *
Oh, and there is a couple of pages in the Sixth World Almanac, too.

The Denver article in 6WA does a good job summarizing the city before the impact of Spy Games et al. The map was also a copy and paste of the one I developed for the Missions authors.
Malbur
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 15 2011, 09:32 AM) *
With the state of Education being what it is these last few decades... Well... *Shrug*

Oh, I do know a lot about it all... my statement was that I don't remember it, not that I don't know about it. I studied Poli Sci and history at college so I know all about those subjects, just don't remember them biggrin.gif
Grinder
rotfl.gif
bustedkarma
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Sep 15 2011, 07:08 PM) *
...The map was also a copy and paste of the one I developed for the Missions authors.

I don't suppose you you remember the landmarks and streets you used to divide the sectors?
Working up a map for my campaign, and was wondering if the borders are defined anywhere.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012