Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sperethiel Slang for the Elvish character
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DamienKnight
I am working on an Elven (poser) elitist character, who takes pride in his (supposed) elven heritage, and want to use some elven slang or actual Sperethiel in game when possible.

Anyone know any resources for Sperethiel words? Lists of Elven names perhaps, or ideas for things an Elf would say?

I know Orcs call humans 'Breeders', do elves have a derrogitory term for humans? How about for non elves?

'Trog' for orcs and trolls is a good racist term... any more unique elven ones?

When a human calls an elf a Faerie, what does the elf say in return? I was hoping to do more than just say at the table, "My character mumbles some elven curses under his breath."

Thanks in advance!
Critias
The old Tir Tairngire sourcebook has some, and it was sprinkled throughout some Earthdawn sourcebooks...Goronagit's always been my favorite against elves, goronit for humans, and wineg for the tuskers.

Ah, never mind. Here you go. AH copied it all together into one place, looks like.
DamienKnight
Excellent resource!

My questions are answered:

Character name: Eidolon (Sperethiel for Phantom)

Characters personal quest to find the murderer of his best friend: Chal'han se

Outsider (non-elf) : Goro

My best friends bow that I use now and cherish: Imiri (Sperethiel for Memorial)

Elvish version of 'Trog' slang: Wineg

When someone calls me a Faerie: Makkanagee Morkhan (Sperethiel for 'Willfully Stupid Pig Fucker')

Thanks so much for the link Critias smile.gif
Medicineman
When a human calls an elf a Faerie, what does the elf say in return?

maybe Cabbage Ear (with the same meaning as Longnose from someone of asian origin wink.gif )

with an asian Dance
Medicineman
Fatum
"Breeder" might also be an option.
Medicineman
QUOTE (Fatum @ Sep 13 2011, 01:17 AM) *
"Breeder" might also be an option.

thats better suited for Orks wink.gif

He who dances with a lot of Brothers & Sisters
Medicineman
Fatum
Actually, Orks use it for humans, if I remember.
Humans still vastly outnumber them after all.
Manunancy
Note that depending on who's around (and of course who the comment is adressed to) that sort of derogatory muttering in a foreign language can get you in trouble. Maybe not as much trouble as wearing a white robe with a pointy hat in today's black ghettoes, but of the same general sort.

Being branded as a member of the 'Alfheim über alles' crowd can get a serious hindrance, and if you're using that sort of slang often enough theh repute can come quickly.
CanRay
Also depends on who you are and who you're with.

A bunch of orks calling each other 'Trog wouldn't be an issue. One human does it, and gets curb stomped. But if said smoothie (denoting that most other Metahumans have slightly pointed ears while humans don't) is a good friend, it's just some friendly jibing.
Fatum
I always thought "smoothie" referred to skin smoothness.
Also, you're projecting modern-day NA norms into future worldwide.
Critias
Yeah, I'm pretty sure "smoothie" was an ork and troll (IE, the "skin so bad we get Charisma penalties" crowd) slang against humans, dwarves, and elves, not an ear thing.
Neurosis
Nice job, DamienKnight, I already hate this character. : )
DamienKnight
After my first session I am very pleased with the result.

There was another elf in the party (yaaay) and a troll and Naga. I constantly spoke to the elf in Sperethiel so that the troll could not understand, though (we didnt realize it) the Naga spoke fluent Sperethiel and just decided to not say anything about our racist comments.

We did go out of our way to treat the troll like he was a three year old everything had to be explained slowly to, and I threw in some Wineg and Goronit insults too. The other elf had an awesome negotiation and got an improved price on the run... but just for me and him, he did not negotiate for the others.

I shadowed the Naga at one point and saw him hipnotize and murder a homeless ork (he was getting a host for his possession spirits) and shrugged it off... just one less filthy Wineg to pollute the streets.

When our target (it was a kidnap and interrogate to find location of item run) tried to bribe us, I suggested taking it since our Johnson was an ork and I felt no more loyalty to him than our target. Luckily the other elf was more knowledge about Reputation and talked me out of it. (my guy is new to Seattle and shadowrunning, and lacks ettiquette or street smarts.)

Overall I was a real douche, and the other players (including the troll) said they really enjoyed it. I think it could get old quick, but normally I am the GM, so I will only play the snooty elf douchebag periodically. Most things are good in moderation after all smile.gif

Edit: When I say Snooty Elf Douchebag, I mean 'Snooty-Panther-Shifter-who-uses-facial-sculpting-to-pretend-he-is-an-elf-and-who-hates-all-non-elfs douche bag'
Critias
Why does your panther like elves so much? He's a panther that looks like an elf, not an elf that turns into a panther. Is there something in his backstory that's made him so elfy-elfy, somehow?
CanRay
Maybe Elves taste like bacon?
yesferatu
I've always been partial to "keeb".
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (yesferatu @ Sep 16 2011, 12:58 PM) *
I've always been partial to "keeb".

Me too... smile.gif
DamienKnight
Actually he is a Panther that turns into a HUMAN, who then uses the adept facial sculpting to fake being an elf.

I am playing an elf poser. Why would anyone who is not an elf want to pretend to be one?

Serathilion mistish ke Draesis ti'Morel?
CanRay
QUOTE (DamienKnight @ Sep 16 2011, 03:15 PM) *
Actually he is a Panther that turns into a HUMAN, who then uses the adept facial sculpting to fake being an elf.

I am playing an elf poser. Why would anyone who is not an elf want to pretend to be one?
"Funny, he doesn't look Elvish." - Soul Music, Sir Terry Pratchett
Critias
QUOTE (DamienKnight @ Sep 16 2011, 03:15 PM) *

Serathilion mistish ke Draesis ti'Morel?

A human that wants to be elven? Sure. I can buy it. Brought up in a society that in the abstract glorifies being slender and athletic, having good looks, staying young forever? Being brought up in a more particular society that specifically points out and glorifies elves and "elven culture" on top of all that? A way out of a human ghetto in the Tir somewhere, acceptance into the Ancients or something if you grew up in Tarislar, a way to get that cute elf girl to like you? Sure. I can see a human trying to be elven, pass themselves off that way.

But why does it matter to a panther? Why does the panther like elves and hate non-elves? It's not a person. It wasn't brought up in that human society, or anything remotely like it. So I'm just asking him what it is about his panther that makes a difference, is all. I'm assuming there's some fun "hook" in his backstory, and I'm curious about it.
Paul
Dude you need to stop posting so much stuff I actually agree with. It's going to start looking like we set this up...
DamienKnight
QUOTE (Critias @ Sep 16 2011, 03:30 PM) *
A human that wants to be elven? Sure. I can buy it. Brought up in a society that in the abstract glorifies being slender and athletic, having good looks, staying young forever? Being brought up in a more particular society that specifically points out and glorifies elves and "elven culture" on top of all that? A way out of a human ghetto in the Tir somewhere, acceptance into the Ancients or something if you grew up in Tarislar, a way to get that cute elf girl to like you? Sure. I can see a human trying to be elven, pass themselves off that way.

But why does it matter to a panther? Why does the panther like elves and hate non-elves? It's not a person. It wasn't brought up in that human society, or anything remotely like it. So I'm just asking him what it is about his panther that makes a difference, is all. I'm assuming there's some fun "hook" in his backstory, and I'm curious about it.
I think a better question is, why would a white person want to act like a black thug? Or why would a Jew want to be a Nazi? I agree, any such person would have to be very troubled.

But real people dont make sense. They have conflict in their lives and find one thing (or person, or group of people) that make them feel happy, safe or empowered, and then against all reason they cling to that thing.

If you are having trouble wrapping your mind around a character with this kind of inner conflict, I suggest watching 'The Believer'. Awesome movie... probably Ryan Goslings greatest.

It was based loosely on the true story of Daniel Burros, a Jewish Klu Klux Klan member.

If you have any further questions about my characters background story, please PM me and I would be happy to answer your questions.
Critias
...? What, no. I think you're missing my point. Or taking my point as an attack, or something.

I don't have any question at all about how one type of person might want to act exclusively like another sort of person. We're human. Humans want to belong (even if they want to belong to a weird class), and I can understand a human trying to belong even somewhere strange that, at a glance, they shouldn't.

But we're not talking about a human. We're talking about a giant fucking predatory cat who happens to sometimes lose fur and grow thumbs, and I'm just wondering why your werepanther digs elves, is all.

I'm not bashing your character. I'm not saying it can't make sense. I'm trying to ask -- and I was trying to ask politely, but maybe it got misconstrued as me being critical? -- just what it is about your panther that makes it obsess over elves. I mean, did your panther first turn into a human near the Tir? Was he adopted by the Laesa or the Ancients? Did he meet elves before he met humans, and they were nice to him? I'm just wanting to know, I'm not saying it's a shitty idea. Anyone who knows me, or my characters, or my published work, should know I have a strong interest in elven supremacy, elves in general, etc, etc...so I'm just asking, dude.
DamienKnight
Yeah, I guess that was a defensive answer. I just think its silly to ask why anyone would act out of character. That is what people do.

But as to the 'hook', as a cub his family was killed by human hunters, and he was taken in by an Elf Ranger, who raised him with a Back-to-nature technology is a plague philosophy.
Paul
QUOTE (DamienKnight @ Sep 16 2011, 06:40 PM) *
Yeah, I guess that was a defensive answer. I just think its silly to ask why anyone would act out of character. That is what people do.

Really? See I feel somewhat differently. While I would agree that people often have much more depth than perhaps they may first appear to I would say that often as not people are predictable. Products of their environment, and their nature.

But as to the 'hook', as a cub his family was killed by human hunters, and he was taken in by an Elf Ranger, who raised him with a Back-to-nature technology is a plague philosophy.

See, now that I can see. It has more depth.
hermit
A human that wants to be elven? Sure. I can buy it. Brought up in a society that in the abstract glorifies being slender and athletic, having good looks, staying young forever?

And eco-conscious, because like Indians, Elves are inherently ecological. It's like some of the more hardcore Lefties imitate Native (South) American styles and romanticise thugs and murderers like Mariáteguis or Che Guevara, only a little more extreme.

A good description of an Elf poser group in in the second or third adventure in the original Harlequin campaign (Wrath, I think).
Fatum
QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 17 2011, 09:32 PM) *
And eco-conscious, because like Indians, Elves are inherently ecological.
Right, PCC and Tsimshian are especially ecological

QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 17 2011, 09:32 PM) *
It's like some of the more hardcore Lefties imitate Native (South) American styles and romanticise thugs and murderers like Mariáteguis or Che Guevara, only a little more extreme.
Nice inflammatory political comment there.

PresentPresence
QUOTE (DamienKnight @ Sep 16 2011, 04:55 PM) *
I think a better question is, why would a white person want to act like a black thug? Or why would a Jew want to be a Nazi? I agree, any such person would have to be very troubled.
>compares whites and blacks with jews and nazis

grinbig.gif

But I like the character. What does the ranger think of his apprentice's posing?
Manunancy
QUOTE (PresentPresence @ Sep 18 2011, 01:58 AM) *
>compares whites and blacks with jews and nazis

grinbig.gif

But I like the character. What does the ranger think of his apprentice's posing?

AlIt's also a bit odd that he had no human colleagues that could provee the point that 'no, not all humans are bastards'. I doubt said ranger was a loner lost in the woods who didn't interact with mainstream society.

Though depending on where he was operating he might have mostly elven peers (Tir coms to mind), but it also raises the questions of how comes the character moved to Seattle to be a runner rathet than staying in the woods to walks in his mentor's footsteps.
CanRay
Destroy the evil symbol of humanity's domination over nature?
DamienKnight
QUOTE (Manunancy @ Sep 18 2011, 01:13 AM) *
AlIt's also a bit odd that he had no human colleagues that could provee the point that 'no, not all humans are bastards'. I doubt said ranger was a loner lost in the woods who didn't interact with mainstream society.

Though depending on where he was operating he might have mostly elven peers (Tir coms to mind), but it also raises the questions of how comes the character moved to Seattle to be a runner rathet than staying in the woods to walks in his mentor's footsteps.

The ranger is dead. Part of his background is that the Tir council sent the ranger into seattle as part of a covert op, and the Ranger never came back. Eidolon comes to the shadows to find the truth of what happened to his friend.

When he was alive, the ranger himself was an elitist Elf who was racist against non-elves. He saw Eidolon's shift to human then using magic to appear elven as a magical beast wisely trying to emulate the superior race. The ranger loved animals above humans, and Eidolon was like having a friend who was both.

He also thought it was wise to integrate with elven society, since Eidolon was raised as an elf and would probably not be easily accepted back into a Pather-shifter society.
CanRay
There's a Panther-Shifter society in Seattle? I can see a few packs of Wolf-Shifters, but... Well, then again, Mountain Lion-Shifters...
Medicineman
Panther Shifter Society in Seattle ????
Panther Shifter are so scarce I doubt that there exist more than 10,12 World Wide !!

with a very Rare Dance
Medicineman
DamienKnight
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 18 2011, 04:37 PM) *
There's a Panther-Shifter society in Seattle? I can see a few packs of Wolf-Shifters, but... Well, then again, Mountain Lion-Shifters...

QUOTE (Medicineman @ Sep 19 2011, 01:57 AM) *
Panther Shifter Society in Seattle ????
Panther Shifter are so scarce I doubt that there exist more than 10,12 World Wide !!

with a very Rare Dance
Medicineman

Never said there were panther shifters in Seattle. When our first ran happened it was the characters first time to be in Seattle ever. You see, in Shadowrun, there are these places that are not in Seattle. In fact, there is a whole world outside of Seattle. I know, reading the 1st and 2nd edition books makes it seem like Seattle is the only City in the 6th world, but in fact it is not. Not all characters MUST be born in Seattle, and in fact, some campaigns take place OUTSIDE of Seattle. Mind boggling.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012