Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nanopaste Disguise Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Major Doom
Regardless of size, small or large container, is the Nanopaste Disguise kit (SR4A, page 338) a limited or unlimited use item?
Mardrax
I've always interpreted it as a one-use item.
Major Doom
Well the Latex Face Mask (right above the Nanopaste Disguise) states in the last sentence that it can be used one. Nanopaste Disguise does not mention this at all.
Zaranthan
When you figure out how to put toothpaste back in the tube, let me know.
Major Doom
QUOTE (Zaranthan @ Sep 15 2011, 12:52 PM) *

Thanks for NOT answering and denigrating my question. To avert future pompous remarks as such, if the Nanopaste is single use only, even though by RAW that mention is omitted for the Nanopaste, wouldn't that make the Nanopaste an expensive acquisition if a character wishes to utilize disguises often?
Mardrax
They're the price of 5 Ex-Ex rounds. Or just over 6 rounds of Stick 'n' Shock, which characters tend to go through like mad with burst fire.

But yes, they aren't cheap. You get what you pay for, however. Plus, they're the same price as a mask.
Dahrken
The end of the description state the pase as lasting 24 hours maximum, so I'd say it's one-use only.
Mardrax
Big advantage, however, is you can change them up on the fly, and use several disguises over those 24 hours.
Zaranthan
QUOTE (Major Doom @ Sep 15 2011, 01:14 PM) *
Thanks for NOT answering and denigrating my question. To avert future pompous remarks as such, if the Nanopaste is single use only, even though by RAW that mention is omitted for the Nanopaste, wouldn't that make the Nanopaste an expensive acquisition if a character wishes to utilize disguises often?

My apologies. I didn't mean to insult you. I merely wanted to share the amusing mental image I got when imagining someone putting paste back into its container.

That said, the entry DOES mention that the disguise only lasts for 24 hours, and it's really not that expensive considering the benefits it bestows. Computer+Edit hits as a DP bonus on Disguise checks, plus a lifelike image alteration from head-to-toe, is enough to keep your identity safe from being stripped naked, something your mage buddy likely won't be able to pull off.
Mardrax
QUOTE (Zaranthan @ Sep 15 2011, 08:45 PM) *
something your mage buddy likely won't be able to pull off.

I actualy double up on them with the Fashion and Makeover spells, and a bunch of Adept powers.
Major Doom
I didn't understand the reasoning of the 24 hour time limit on use, but since it meant to be a single use item, it makes sense. Thanks all for the feedback.
Miri
QUOTE (Major Doom @ Sep 15 2011, 02:11 PM) *
I didn't understand the reasoning of the 24 hour time limit on use, but since it meant to be a single use item, it makes sense. Thanks all for the feedback.

I've always assumed the 24 hour limit for Nanopaste disguises was because that was how long the nanites lasted before enough of them wore out and broke down as to make your disguise ineffectual.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Miri @ Sep 15 2011, 04:26 PM) *
I've always assumed the 24 hour limit for Nanopaste disguises was because that was how long the nanites lasted before enough of them wore out and broke down as to make your disguise ineffectual.

Which would still make it single use.
Wiseman
QUOTE (Zaranthan @ Sep 15 2011, 12:52 PM)

Easy guy, that was a hilarious response and did evoke the proper mental image of reusing nanopaste.

We always run them as single use items that expire after their duration.

Side note: no need to involve the RAW when claiming something not expressly forbidden is intended by omission.

Now get your two faced ass out of here (kidding of course)
Mardrax
QUOTE (Wiseman @ Sep 15 2011, 10:45 PM) *
Now get your two faced ass out of here (kidding of course)

Two faced? It's not like he's wearing latex. Nanopaste gives you as many faces as you could program into them!
Bodak
QUOTE (Zaranthan @ Sep 16 2011, 04:45 AM) *
I merely wanted to share the amusing mental image I got when imagining someone putting paste back into its container.
Since you can direct this nanite paste to mould itself to take on many custom shapes as desired, I expect you could direct it to crawl back into its container. That way you could have the paste last a total of 24 hours of active use, split up over several different occasions with the paste inert in the tube between these periods of activity.
Yerameyahu
Nah, they use a one-way, continuous chemical power supply. Once you crack the seal, 24 hours goes on the clock. smile.gif Yes, of course I made that up. It's still right. biggrin.gif
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Wiseman @ Sep 15 2011, 04:45 PM) *
Easy guy, that was a hilarious response and did evoke the proper mental image of reusing nanopaste.

Yeah, while the mods do rein it in if things get too out of hand, it helps not to have too thin a skin here at Dumpshock.

Snarky smartass peanut gallery, we haz it.

-k
Zaranthan
"You Old Fool! You slept through the topic!"
"Who's the fool, YOU READ IT!"
"DOHOHOHOHOHOHO!"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012