Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How young is too young
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lone_Runner
[B]An honest opinion and some advice on how to keep my players in check is all i ask to keep me sane as a 13 year old who runs a game for people almost twice his age ?
By the way has anyone seen plastic rat around ?
Mardegun
When I started I was 12 and I played and GM with people twice my age. They were my friends and it was no big deal. Personally I always found it much harder to game with people my own age, then 'adults' Generally speaking most young teenagers have no clue on how to handle themselves much less some fantasy character. Again isn't true for all kids, but some times it got down right stupid.

In any case the age of the other players isn't the important part, what is important is the style of play. Are you guys hack-n-slashes, glory hounds, role-players and/or etc? Run a game that works best for the style the group wants to play. If you have a group of mixed styles, figure out a good balance. Just remember that the most important thing is that everyone is having fun, including yourself.

btw can you be more specific on what is driving you crazy?
blakkie
QUOTE (Mardegun)
btw can you be more specific on what is driving you crazy?

Duh, hormones. wink.gif Puberty is akin to a 6 year long pregnancy.
Nikoli
The only problem I had as a teenager and role-playing with older folks was my parents freaked when I started getting phone calls after 8 from 30 year old men she didn't know. But then , mom was always a little funny.

Seriously though, what's the particular beef you seek elightenment on?
CardboardArmor
The usual trend is that people started GM'ing in their early teens and started RP'ing usually a few years or so before that.

Physical maturity really isn't much of a detriment if you can keep your head screwed on enough not to fly off the handle and can focus on the words in a sourcebook long enough to learn the game.
Lone_Runner
Thanks for the replys except for blakkie of course. The specific problem is keeping them from doing things that i normally wouldn't allow and im speaking about two players in particular who draw up characters without my supervision and produce these utterly absurd killing machines with no other goal in life. Because they are older than i am they feel no need to listen to what i say or even note the fact that as GM, i have the final say. Ive tried taking toys away, killing them off (which proved extremely difficult) or just ruining their rep and their bank acounts in the process. Well any advice not including hormones or puberty is really appreciated.
CardboardArmor
Your age really shouldn't play a factor into it if you've asked them to create characters more suitable to your game. If they don't comply, kick them to the curb, plain and simple.

When it's all been said and done, you're still the GM. It's fully within your right to do so in your game.
Stumps
Talk to them.
Find out what kind of game they do want to play.
The role of the GM is more than simply drafting up a setting and hosting the game.
It is to find out what world your players fit into the best and supplying that for them while inserting little bits of what you want to mess with here and there. (IMHO)

In this case, they like to blow stuff up and shoot stuff. Fine. Let 'em. Allow them that world if they can survive it. Let them go crazy with their guns.
As they are blowing up dodge, slip in little bits of bread-crumb trails (things that will draw the curiosity of these individual players) that start a slow but steady roll into a larger plot line with bigger threats and issues than shooting people. Eventually, they will begin to take interest in this plot line and probably everyone will have more fun because they got to shoot stuff, and you got your plot line.

Also...if they aren't making filled up backgrounds, add this house rule in.

Start the point allowance for character generation off at a very low level. Like 110 or 130. Then tell them that for every paragraph of solid background that they write for their character they will receive "X" amount of character generation points (your call on how many points) up to a limit of (what ever you want your top level limit to be)

If they want to have their ubber-muncher, they'll write something up (even if it's not real original) to get those points that they want for cyberware and stats.
Lone_Runner
I dont really know why but the point based character generation system does not appeal to me but the idea of awarding a good story and a character that was created with blood sweat and tears seems a damn fine one.\
A damn fine one indeed.

Oh yeah... totally off topic no-one must ever leave their shadowrun merchandise around dogs.
My FIRST RUN book is no more
Talia Invierno
Talk to them.
- Stumps

By itself that probably won't work, though. They don't have the experience to describe what they want. Backstories are abstract to beginning and not infrequently even to experienced players. Backstories aren't seen as "real", so they won't affect how the player sees the character, and the crumbs just won't be seen as relevant. Never mind if they've sworn undying revenge on the [fill-in-the-blank] that destroyed their family, against the shiny new world (gritty to us, new to them) and shiny new runs and shiny new guns, it's really hard for many new players to see a piece of forced fiction as an immediate here-and-now.

In just about every group I've been with, new players tended to be between 13-17 (which seems to me to be a reasonable starting age - much younger children can sometimes have problems separating the fantasy element), have exceptional sense and/or quick pick-up of the skills and attribute crunching, and have little to no experience with the concept of an active and here-and-now relevant backstory.

So I walked them through it.

I set aside a period of time roughly the same length as a standard playing session. They were to bring their character concepts, however rough - just to have some idea of what they wanted to play. They could bring up any points in backstory that they wanted. I've yet to see anyone wanting to be the secret lovechild of Dunkelzahn and Ehran. More often, they wanted to be black ops types. Still more often, they want to be Joe Nobody, who ended up on the streets and hung out to dry without a clue of how they got there.

(Hung out to dry is something I try to avoid, in completely new players. It makes learning to interact with the SR universe in any non-martial way so much more difficult.)

I asked specific questions about background, especially as related to the plotline of their lives. They tried to answer them. Where they really got stuck, I offered suggestions ... carefully, because when you've no clue what you're doing it's easy just to start adopting someone else's suggestions in toto. Small events that spark at the time, I might drop into a quick one-on-one actual roleplaying - and that's how we ended up with some of our most notorious villains ... who were "real" to the players because not only the backstory of their characters but also they themselves had "encountered" them, and disliked each other on sight biggrin.gif

Only then was I able to lay clues at all that the players would bother to follow up.

Interestingly: which is the part of character development almost completely overlooked by videogame shooters and rpgs?

I strongly suggest they start by playing a character who is in some ways closer to them: at least for the very first character, no meta variants or shapeshifters. I always start new players at lowest starting power, and interpret gear and other limitation rules fairly strictly. What they earn is "real" to them. If they're significantly behind the rest of the group in power, they get an adventure or two of their own or possibly with only one other person from the core group, whom I can trust to hang back and support while letting the new player make their own choices.

The principle of talking (as opposed to fighting everything in sight, aka information is a good thing) I try to bring across in two ways.

The first battle I try to arrange so they survive by the skin of their teeth. (I try to avoid the kind of damage that leads to permanent Magic loss, though.) I also deliberately design it in such a way that it is entirely likely they will be disarmed, or that their weapons will have less effectiveness against whatever they are encountering (simple cover does well here) - unless they think it through. Life continues around them while they heal. In the SR world, time is money. In the player sphere, time healing is time spent not being able to play. (Where possible, time the magical intervention for after that lesson is learned.) Especially, expenses need paying - and misunderstandings about who exactly owes what can be frequent.

Second, I make it clear, by something they find or hear, that they could have avoided all this and had a relatively simple shoot-fest, instead of the first-line security response. The concept of back-researching toward an end is a new one at the low end of this ages, even in real life. The first time or two, their contacts might approach them with appropriate tidbits, dropping information such as the existence of various runner and fixer social environments, along with the expectance of barter at the appropriate level. (Makes it easier for new players if one of the contacts is level II.)

After all this, the new players might still be interested in making themselves over into absurd killing machines, and it's still possible that your playing styles just won't be compatible ... but at least you'll have laid the groundwork for other options, when and if they want to pursue them. You're the GM. You can only help them to design a non cookie-cutter character. You can't force them to follow it.
mfb
...wow. i qualify as 'almost twice his age', and i started GM'ing about the same age ('cept back in my day, i was the DM).

some basic truths about age and role-playing. if they're in their 20s, and they're playing character-less killing machines, it's for one of two reasons:

a) they've had enough of 'real' role-playing for the moment, and want to get some hardcore hack 'n slash done. there's nothing at all wrong with this; at the very worst, it's giving you some good experience with the game mechanics.

b) they're not into 'real' role-playing, and never will be. they play rpg's because it gives them a broader, more complex stage for shooting people and blowing stuff up than they can get from a video game. again, nothing inherently wrong, here, though it's understandable that you want to play a deeper game. and, hey, you're still getting some good experience with the mechanics--that will serve you well later, when you find some players who are into more meaningful rp; instead of concentrating on determining what the TNs are all the time, you can focus on the characters.

unfortunately, it's difficult to get an older person to take a younger person seriously, if the older one insists on seeing age as an issue (which it legitimately can be, though it doesn't sound like that's the case here). the only advice i can offer that i know for sure will work is, "wait until you're older." not because you lack the maturity to run a good, complex game, but because you lack the physical maturity your players apparently require to take you seriously. their loss, not yours; have fun constructing deep plots that inevitably end in the death of characters too dumb to see them coming.
Zazen
QUOTE (Stumps)
Start the point allowance for character generation off at a very low level. Like 110 or 130. Then tell them that for every paragraph of solid background that they write for their character they will receive "X" amount of character generation points (your call on how many points) up to a limit of (what ever you want your top level limit to be)

Won't work, at least not for my group. The thing is, a skilled minmaxer can do more with 90 points than a fluffball can do with 150. All the time they spent writing background might just as well be spent figuring out more efficient ways to use points.

I have tried this technique. It has failed me.
Talia Invierno
And apologies, I seem to have strayed from your specific problem, Lone_Runner.

I don't know the composition of your group, except for the two players you mention. As you mention, the foundation of Shadowrun as rpg is that the GM does have the final say - and that includes what types of characters you are and aren't willing to GM. Age has nothing whatsoever to do with that.

If you don't want them drawing up characters without your supervision, tell them. If they persist in it (which is a not-so-subtle form of GM-domination, augmented by their continual emphasising age difference - had that done to me, years back), tell them that's not the kind of game you're interested in. Tell them what kind of game you'd be willing to GM, and what kind of characters you're looking for, and that you want active GM interaction in character creation. You're the one pulling out the stories, after all. You'd better be able to like what you're having to create for them.

It might be that they're looking to you as an instant and continual creator of a two-person shooter. It might be that they don't want to release the age dominance over you. You don't have to put up with that. If you have to, walk - and mean it. You may be younger than them, but that's where you've got the power.

Edit to add: (the lack of sleep is becoming apparent ...)

Sometimes greater age differences work better in a group than lesser ones. When I was in university in my early teens, I ended up hanging out with the "mature" students (averaging around 40 or so). We got along infamously. But (possible, not a for sure!) 20-somethings still might feel they have something to prove, in which case you happen to be the handy proving ground. IF that's the case, that's a situation to get out of, quickly, because you'll never be seen as anything more than someone useful to them.
gknoy
QUOTE (Lone_Runner @ Apr 2 2004, 09:05 AM)
... two players in particular who draw up characters without my supervision and produce these utterly absurd killing machines with no other goal in life.

Because they are older than i am they feel no need to listen to what i say or even note the fact that as GM, i have the final say.

As someone said, talk with them.

If that doesn't work, drop an orbital cow from space on them, and ignore any further actions their player claimsto make. wink.gif

Seriously though -- as GM, you need to be both firm in your resolve and not let others walk over you (very difficult, no matter what age you are), and yet also understanding of your players' desires. If they want to make total combat munchies, why not say, "Look, this character is too powerful for this campaign, I'd appreciate something that is a lot less abusable."

Then, suggest that they ho0ld on to the character, and if they like, you can run an occasional (once a month? once every two months?) armageddon run, as a sideline for story -- basically, everyoen brings their most bad-ass characters (you included wink.gif) and you pretty much have a brawl. This could let them satisfy their desires for playing with REALLY wiz 'ware and over-the-top...

This is a great opportunity for you to point out that you can have high-stakes combat at ANY power-level, and that even at this absurd level you, as GM, are able to field opposition that can eat them for breakfast.

(Everyone probably knows this, but ...)
[ Spoiler ]

If these players want you to GM, you need to put your foot down and tell them that they have to let you do your job. You can tell them that if they don't want to accept your GM-ness, and don't wish to play in the guidelines you set, they do not have to play. Don't start with this, as I imagine you DO want to play with them in the future. Rather point out that it's always an option. "I'm not forcing you to let me be GM - you're welcome to run a game." is always a great comeback.

As an aside:
Somehow, I jsut had an image of a mage/shaman who is basically liek a dark jedi -- could someone sustain a magic fingers spell (to lift someone off the ground) and combine that with a choking effect? =D

Anyways, back on topic -- Build Points. Limit their build points. A LOT. 123 is normal, so 60-90 should be your target range. smile.gif It's very very hard to have a character that is uniformly survivable and on par with other characters on 60-80 BP. Try making a character sometime! It's almost impossible to make an awakened character, or one with any resources, if you ALSO want them to have skills or attributes to speak of. (I learned this when I madea char for krishcane's 40bp run (Cage Fight). I had to load up on flaws just to have points to spend on skills!) I liked the idea of rewarding extra karma for well-written background.
Rev
Use BECKS.

This system is also included in NSRCG (which is nice because BECKS does take more bookkeeping than the standard systems.

Eliminates many of the more irritating impetuses to minmax in shadowrun by making things cost the same in chargen as they do after chargen (with karma).
Large Mike

Dude, one of my best players is 14, and when I go off to boot camp, I expect he'll be the one replace me as GM.
danbot37
oops, I thought this was asking something else

just kidding

maybe.... devil.gif
Stumps
QUOTE (stumps)
Talk to them.
- Stumps
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
By itself that probably won't work, though.

Hence why the post didn't stop after that statement.

I also wasn't saying that you should force anyone through any plot line. Actually my post refered to guiding them along into things you think would be fun. Not forcing them into it. If it looks like it's not going to work; drop it. A GM should be willing to be as flexible as they can be with their plotline. I personally don't even write a plotline idea out until after a few sessions have passed.

QUOTE (stumps)
QUOTE (Zazen)
Won't work, at least not for my group.

*shrug* well, maybe it will for Lone_Runner.
Eventhough they can still make players with 90 points that are uber-munchers, they'll still like the idea of getting more points easily by writing about 5 paragraphs.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012