Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ideas for a run
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GM Lich
Hey guys,
I ran my first run using Denver missions the Parliament of thieves. It was fun and it ran quite shadowrun trench coat style. It went well for the non combat characters the face and technomancer. I felt like the more combat oriented characters felt left out. They had fun but they really weren't doing much compared to the face and technomancer. So I decided I'm going to expose the runners to a more action based mission. Are any of the Denver missions good for this? Or should I just brew my own.
My idea so far:
* The runners are sent to take down a cult, that has been recruiting on the street. The head of the cult is a mage. The Johnson, a local priest, doesn't care how they "get rid of it." He just wants results.

Traul
Then the others might feel left out. Infiltration and extraction runs are great for letting everyone play. You just need to make it hard enough for something to go wrong before the end, then the gunbunnies have to extract the team.
Paul
I like to make my own stuff, but perhaps this will help. I try approach my adventures as if I am writing a television episode. Pacing is everything. So my games can basically be divided like this:

• Opening Negotiations. This is where they get the job. All the PC's can participate in the negotiations, and my players understand that every "Johnson" has his or her own agenda. They know they'll get some, but will need more information.
  • Leg Work: This is basically reconnaissance. This includes physically scoping out the target, the area around it, speaking with contacts, acquiring equipment they may need as well as planning for unforeseen circumstances. If they stick their crank in the door this usually means they'll run into someone, whether randomly or not. (Depends on the game)
  • The Big Show: This is the part where they act. Things never work as planned, and no matter how good the plan is nothing survives first contact intact. Everyone gets a role here.
  • The aftermath: This is usually the meet or the drop if one is needed, if not, it's avoiding pursuit, ditching cops, covering up trace evidence and maybe dealing with anyone who may have given them bad info.

I way over plan my games-because one never knows when the PC's are going to take a left turn on their way to Albuquerque.
bustedkarma
Take a look at "The Grab" (SRM02-03) and the run that is a followup "Chasing The Dragon" (SRM02-08).

I just finished GM'ing "Parliament of Thieves" myself. While it's a good tool to introduce new players to the different systems in the game (Combat, Social, Legwork certainly, Vehicle Combat and Matrix possibly) it's not exactly action packed.

My team managed to turn the run in with the Triad and Yaks into a pretty decent gun fight. They ended up abandoning a vehicle (that was set on fire) during that scene.

They are currently working to burn the compromised Fake SIN associated with the truck.
GM Lich
QUOTE (bustedkarma @ Sep 19 2011, 10:42 AM) *
Take a look at "The Grab" (SRM02-03) and the run that is a followup "Chasing The Dragon" (SRM02-08).

I just finished GM'ing "Parliament of Thieves" myself. While it's a good tool to introduce new players to the different systems in the game (Combat, Social, Legwork certainly, Vehicle Combat and Matrix possibly) it's not exactly action packed.

My team managed to turn the run in with the Triad and Yaks into a pretty decent gun fight. They ended up abandoning a vehicle (that was set on fire) during that scene.

They are currently working to burn the compromised Fake SIN associated with the truck.

I took a look at the grab it looks decent. I wish it had a bit more info covering the leg work but it looks like it could be a decent run.
Stalag
I find plenty of good inspiration in movies and TV: Mission Impossible, Leverage... anything where a team of diverse talents needs to work together to accomplish a goal. Most of them will have something for everyone on the team to do, even the gun bunnies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012