Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Design a Jedi
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Greegan
Just curious if anyone out there had ever designed a Jedi using Magician or Mystic Adept? I have searched a couple of times, but have yet to come up with one. The lightsaber would be (mostly) out, but may, if not all of the abilities could be acquired.

I was thinking more likely a Mystic Adept...

Anyone point me in the right direction?

----EDIT-------------------

Fatum
Pah, you can go magician or mystic adept, getting the enhanced physical abilities either through spells or adept powers; other than that, I can't think of any Jedi or Sith tricks that couldn't be replicated with SR magic.
Except for the laser swords, of course.
whatevs
I think you're on the right track. You could probably use a pure adept to get the job done also. Here's a list of powers /spells i can think of without the books handy:

Great leap
Commanding voice
Improved combat ability: blades
Attribute boosts
Traceless walk
Improved ability: pilot
Weapon focus: sword
Levitate spell

Greegan
Despite the common dislike of Possession - what are your thoughts on using Spirit Possession as "The Force" ?
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Greegan @ Sep 23 2011, 01:00 AM) *
Despite the common dislike of Possession - what are your thoughts on using Spirit Possession as "The Force" ?
Not very much. Does the force take possession of people? Does the force pupeteer people?
Hound
yeah the force doesn't really use spirits either. When spirits possess people/objects they change their appearance to some degree (similar to a shamanic mask or something.) Also it takes a spirit at minimum one IP to possess if I remember correctly, so if all your force powers are based on spirit possessions, you will be a very slow Jedi.
Seerow
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Sep 23 2011, 12:21 AM) *
Not very much. Does the force take possession of people? Does the force pupeteer people?

Channeling might do it. Or a hybrid or flesh form inhabitation spirit. Jedi channel the force to enhance their abilities. But those options make Jedi not possible at chargen.

Just having augmentations would probably be better, but is way more expensive.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Greegan @ Sep 22 2011, 05:00 PM) *

Actually, the best way to represent The Force properly was to take it as a Contact. (Connection 6, Loyalty 6, worldwide influence)

Every once in a while things just happen to go your way. (favors)

I've thought about what it would take to stat a jedi before. The hardest part was replicating Force Speed within the stats. Taking a Spirit Pact to gain the power, then a contact with a loyalty high enough it won't say no is the easiest.

If you're trying to make a lightsaber, using a monowhip as the basic stats makes a lot of sense - exotic weapon, very concealable, incredibly dangerous to the untrained and anyone around the user. Depending on how you're fluffing it, some sort of construction involving the Item Attunement metamagic might make sense - after all, you're supposed to make your own.
Stalag
QUOTE (whatevs @ Sep 22 2011, 05:59 PM) *
I think you're on the right track. You could probably use a pure adept to get the job done also. Here's a list of powers /spells i can think of without the books handy:

Great leap
Commanding voice
Improved combat ability: blades
Attribute boosts
Traceless walk
Improved ability: pilot
Weapon focus: sword
Levitate spell

You forgot
Magic Fingers
Fling
Blast
Shockwave
Physical Barrier
Deflection
Bind
Lightning Bolt (Sith Only)
Combat Sense
Detect Magic, Extended

Also, make the sword a Monofilament Sword (since we're lacking energy swords or an "Elemental Weapon" spell)

bobbaganoosh
I seem to remember reading a thread about a spirit inhabiting a sword, and having the spirt's elemental aura come out of the blade. I also seem to recall that lightsabers were mentioned in that thread ...
Found it!
However, it seems like the result of that experiment is slightly dependent upon a houserule, and is heavily dependent upon GM approval (just like everything else, ever).
Makki
there are several approaches for Jedi/Force traditions in this forum. here's a link to one of them: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=34998

the lightsabre is easy: Ally spirit in realistic form [Sword] with energy aura power, although materialization takes one complex action, so no quick drawing.
Elfenlied
Actually, possession is an excellent way to represent force rage.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 23 2011, 01:01 AM) *
Actually, possession is an excellent way to represent force rage.

Actually, it is one way. I would not say it is an Excellent one.
Greegan
Right - when I spoke of Possession I should have been more specific. I did mean Channeling the "Force", as it were. When channeling, the mage...er..Jedi...would be in full control. Obi-Wan, Yoda and all the other Jedi teachers are always talking about concentrating, focusing, having patience and "using" the Force. To me that implies it's not necessarily always on.

I really dig both ideas about the Ally Spirit being a sword and the monofilament whip!! Thanks for those additions.

RE: Spell / Power list - there's a huge list of potential Jedi abilities you could pick from; even in the movies/books, not every Jedi/Sith possesses every power. I like the lists tho!

Keep it rolling! This is really helping me out - and thanks for the list. I wonder why my search didn't pull that up!!?
Kesendeja
Speaking of spells as Jedi powers, is there any way to lift car sized objects in 4th, like Luke and the X-wing. I know there was a fan done spell in 3rd called Magic Forklift by Twilight Brigade, that let you do that but I don't know if anything has made it's way into 4th.
Makki
it's a little spell called Levitate. and with future lightweight construction designs, cars shouldn't weigh more than 10 hits on the spellcasting test nyahnyah.gif
Kesendeja
How about prying open security doors?
Greegan
Going to work on a sample based on feedback here and re-post in the first post. That might help iron out a final version.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Kesendeja @ Sep 24 2011, 05:16 AM) *
How about prying open security doors?

This might need some creativity. I'm sure Levitate *could* work, but it would might also have trouble treating the door as seperate from the wall. Shape [material] may work for the effect, but you'd need multiple spells to account for different things. Alternatively, you could try for Increase [Strength], and Increase [Body]. I'm sure the lift/carry rules may represent it well enough, and having 18 dice on the dice as a human (assuming enough hits to maximize attributes) may get you what you need.

Another alternative, is to represent it as a combat spell. Blast would be a good elemental effect, but you could also use Wreck [door] or it's variations. There are a lot of ways to do it, you just need to think about it.
Pepsi Jedi
I approve of this thread. *Grins*
Pendaric
I have made several types of Jedi for sr for my sins. More as a "what the frag is that guy?!" for my PCs.

Even made light sabres which I regret (custm limited spell with sustaning focus). Better to go with katanas. Or if cyberpunk, crystaline mono katanas with coloured lasers refracting within the blades.

All the magic characters work bar the conjurers really. Religous pscionics type paradigm, need to think about the whole spirit thing carfully. All the spells jsut need repackaging accordingly and a few banning out right as non-Force.

Am sure there are many a flamy thread on this veery subject if memory serves.
TheOOB
Honestly I think Jedi would be adepts, their few spell-like techniques could be handled by special powers that are only available to follows of the jedi order(and many of them could be metamagic techniques).

Sith on the other hand make better Mystic Adepts.

Anywho, I personally think Jedi make more sense for a d20 system, Star Wars style play really begs for an hp system.
Kesendeja
QUOTE (TheOOB @ Sep 25 2011, 05:57 AM) *
Anywho, I personally think Jedi make more sense for a d20 system, Star Wars style play really begs for an hp system.

I beg to differ, the best system we've found is the WEG D6 system that uses a condition monitor. Shadowrun also fits very well for the same reasons, perhaps not as high level as WEG but acceptable to a table full of Star Wars fans.
Pendaric
Actually socerers and Mystic Ad tend to work best
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Kesendeja @ Sep 25 2011, 03:39 AM) *
I beg to differ, the best system we've found is the WEG D6 system that uses a condition monitor. Shadowrun also fits very well for the same reasons, perhaps not as high level as WEG but acceptable to a table full of Star Wars fans.

I have an exceptional Feng Shui Star Wars Game currently on hiatus. Totally awesome, as you would expect from Feng Shui.
TheOOB
QUOTE (Kesendeja @ Sep 25 2011, 06:39 AM) *

I was simply pointing out that an HP system tends to represent how characters in heroic fantasy settings operate, namely that they really only take superficial, if any damage up until the point where they are dealt a telling blow.
Manunancy
QUOTE (Pendaric @ Sep 25 2011, 12:51 AM) *
Even made light sabres which I regret (custm limited spell with sustaning focus). Better to go with katanas. Or if cyberpunk, crystaline mono katanas with coloured lasers refracting within the blades.

You can even use the laser's reflexions within the blade to measure the flexion of the blade and use that input to feed a sound system producing suitable noises. Even add a wiimote- like set of accelerometers for an even better fitting of the sound to your motions. When going geek, there's no point in stopping halfway....
Pendaric
Cutting shapes in the church of Jedi.
Can I get a witness!
Jareth Valar
I think what Kesendeja was talking about earlier was THIS site. Magic Forklift was a heavy lifting spell, talking metric tons here.

This would actually represent the more large scale lifting seen in the movies (not even gonna mention the games, especially Force Unleashed 1&2)

I wish I had the time to convert/make the spell myself, but between running 3 different games (and systems), playing in 1 soon to be 2 and work.... wobble.gif twirl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012