Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possible spirit representations
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TheOOB
I'm making a Shinto magician for an upcoming shadowrun game, and I'm trying to make a list of possible kami my character can summon to make his spirits more interesting a tied with japanese lore. Shinto Kannushi can summon Beast, Air, Water, Man, and Plant spirits, and I have some ideas but I'm not as versed in Japanese lore as I'd like, so I'd appreciate any suggestions for types of Kami that could fit in each catagory. I'm also trying to pick a mentor spirit for the character. I really like the benefits of snake, and was thinking of possibly making a similar fox mentor spirit, but I figured I'd see what others opinions on Shinto mentor spirits are.
HunterHerne
Beast: Baku (lion-dogs), Tanuki (raccoon dogs), Usagi (rabbits), high force: Byakko (Lion guardian)

Air: Karasu Tengu (half man/half crow harbingers of war), Yamabushi Tengu (Half man/half crow monks with long noses), High Force: Sieryu (wind Dragon)

Water: Kappa (shelled water spirits), Yuki-onna (frost woman), High Force: Genbu (Tortoise guardian)

Man: Any warrior or monk. Mirrors or other pieces of furniture would make good representations as well. High Force: Well known figures from history; any of the three legendary relics of japan (The Celestial Mirror, Kusanagi, Yasakani no Magatama)

Plant: Bamboo or Azaleas are popular in many areas. Sakura trees are important in Japan, and at high force, a giant oak with strings tied on the branches, and paper seals might be appropriate. The tree on this card is what I mean.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Det...tiverseid=75305
Method
Youve probably already thought of this, but Wikipedia has a bunch of stuff on Tengu and kami. Link. There are a number that could be adapted to a mentor spirit using the rules for existing spirits and changing the fluff.

I think a Trickster or Wise Warrior would be fitting for Tengu, depending on which aspect/myth you want to focus on. But there are O kami dedicated to just about everything and many have various forms.
TheOOB
Some good advice so far, thank you.

I decided to make a mock up of a possible fox mentor spirit, and decided to see what you all think of it

Fox
Sometimes the trickster, sometimes the sage, the fox usually knows, but doesn't always tell. Many cultures have seen the fox as a simple of cunning and guile, indirectly solving it's problems with resorting to force or direct confrontation but rather manipulating events so that everything turns out in Fox's favor. Fox is not cruel or malicious, and they is always a valuable lesson hidden within the carefully crafted illusions of Fox's design for those clever enough to find them. Followers of the fox are empowered with great flexibility and are encouraged to use lateral thinking to overcome their problems, with Fox frowning upon needless displays of force or power.
Advantages: +2 to Illusion Spells, +2 to Spirits of Man or Guidance Spirits(choose one)
Disadvantages: -1 to Combat Spells

The advantages I'm happy with, but I wouldn't mind switching it to one of the Willpower+Charisma(3) check type ones. At first I thought must succeed a check to give a straight answer to a question, but that will get annoying real quick. I also though must succeed a check to engage combat without their opponents attacking first. That seems rather strong but doable.
phlapjack77
Foxes have a pretty storied past in Japanese mythology - or so Wikipedia seems to say: Kitsune - you could draw on that...
Hound
QUOTE (TheOOB @ Sep 28 2011, 02:54 AM) *
Some good advice so far, thank you.

I decided to make a mock up of a possible fox mentor spirit, and decided to see what you all think of it

Fox
Sometimes the trickster, sometimes the sage, the fox usually knows, but doesn't always tell. Many cultures have seen the fox as a simple of cunning and guile, indirectly solving it's problems with resorting to force or direct confrontation but rather manipulating events so that everything turns out in Fox's favor. Fox is not cruel or malicious, and they is always a valuable lesson hidden within the carefully crafted illusions of Fox's design for those clever enough to find them. Followers of the fox are empowered with great flexibility and are encouraged to use lateral thinking to overcome their problems, with Fox frowning upon needless displays of force or power.
Advantages: +2 to Illusion Spells, +2 to Spirits of Man or Guidance Spirits(choose one)
Disadvantages: -1 to Combat Spells

The advantages I'm happy with, but I wouldn't mind switching it to one of the Willpower+Charisma(3) check type ones. At first I thought must succeed a check to give a straight answer to a question, but that will get annoying real quick. I also though must succeed a check to engage combat without their opponents attacking first. That seems rather strong but doable.

could change it to something like "Make test in whenever you attempt to use a 'brute force' solution." That seems a bit odd, but perhaps with some refinement it could be cool. I definitely agree that the straight modifier disadvantages are way less cool than the check ones.
TheOOB
I tried something like this

Fox
Disadvantages: Must succeed a Willpower+Charisma(3) check in order to resort to violence or force without being threatened. Followers of fox may defend themselves when necessary, and even goad others into violence, but they prefer they themselves are loathe to initiate violence when stealth, guile, and misdirection are still options.

I personally like this because it is a weakness, it basically requires a check to make an attack out of stealth or to shoot someone in the face unprovoked(which is sometimes the best tactic), without turning into combat paralysis. Fox can shot first as long as he is threatened, but he may not turn a peaceful situation violent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012