Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Filtering and Mystic Adepts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DamienKnight
When a Mystic Adept uses filtering, does it free up his adept power points, or just enable his spellcasting ability?

Whether positive or negative, in game terms background
count reduces a character’s Magic attribute by its absolute value.

Adepts that suffer a reduced Magic
attribute temporarily lose powers as
a result; the player must choose 1
Power Point worth of powers to be
nullified for each point of Magic reduction.

Filtering
Prerequisite: Cleansing (p. 55)
This advanced form of Cleansing allows an initiate to weave
a construct of temporary disruptive energies around her person
using her Counterspelling skill. This temporary astral construct,
called a “weave,” dissipates the normal warping effects of positive
background count (and only background count) on ambient
mana, effectively filtering it into a neutral state. The magician can
then tap this “purified” mana to power her spellcasting, ignoring
the usual interference of aspected background count (p. 117).
This technique may be applied against the effects of domains and
mana warps, but not mana ebbs or voids. The filtering effect is
localized and normally not perceivable on the astral plane when
used in an area saturated with background count.
To use Filtering, the character takes a Complex Action to
perform a Magic + Counterspelling Test with a threshold equal
to the local background count minus the character’s initiate grade
(minimum of 1). Note that background count does not affect the
character’s Magic for this test. Each net hit temporarily reduces the
effective background count for the initiate by 1. The filter operates
for (Magic) turns before becoming “clogged” and collapsing.

The filtering power specifies that "The magician can
then tap this “purified” mana to power her spellcasting, ignoring
the usual interference of aspected background count" (emphasis mine). Does this mean that a Mystic Adept with Filtering can only filter for purposes of spellcasting, or was this an oversight in the description, and it was intended they be able to free up their magic rating for any purpose (other adept powers too?)

Any Errata or FAQ information I am missing? Please share your thoughts.
Machiavelli
I also thought about this question, but there is no official answer up to now. The line "This temporary astral construct,
mana, effectively filtering it into a neutral state." implies, that also your adept powers should be "saved". If you are in a bubble of clean mana, why should they be influenced?
DamienKnight
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Sep 29 2011, 01:24 PM) *
I also thought about this question, but there is no official answer up to now. The line "This temporary astral construct,
mana, effectively filtering it into a neutral state." implies, that also your adept powers should be "saved". If you are in a bubble of clean mana, why should they be influenced?

Thats what I thought too. Anyone have any opposing opinion?

Also, question #2: Can a character with Astral Hazing using Cleansing OR Filtering on their own Haze?
Machiavelli
Had been discussed. I cannot remember, but wasn´t it excepted in the description of it? According to RAW, you can ONLY filter or cleanse domains and astral hazing is a domain....so you should be able to do so.
Cloud
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Sep 29 2011, 01:32 PM) *
According to RAW, you can ONLY filter or cleanse domains and astral hazing is a domain....so you should be able to do so.

QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Sep 29 2011, 01:24 PM) *
The line "This temporary astral construct,

This is what I thought as well but it's always good to ask the community to make sure we are thinking clearly and not missing something obvious.
Yerameyahu
It is a mistake to ask the RAW here, especially about anything related to Astral Hazing.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
The following quote leads me to the conclusion that you CANNOT Filter/Cleanse the BGC of Astral Hazing. It is a NEGATIVE QUALITY for a Reason, after all.

Whatever the ambient mana conditions are , the character always stands at the heart of a Rating 4 background count (see p. 117, Street Magic)

And though the normal Background Count of a Domain can be Cleansed/Filtered, Astral Hazing is not a Normal Condition.
Just my Two Nuyen... smile.gif
Aerospider
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 29 2011, 10:29 PM) *
The following quote leads me to the conclusion that you CANNOT Filter/Cleanse the BGC of Astral Hazing. It is a NEGATIVE QUALITY for a Reason, after all.

There's nothing wrong with working around or otherwise alleviating negative qualities. The negative aspect is maintained in the efforts one has to make and initiating is quite an effort to go to.

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 29 2011, 10:29 PM) *
And though the normal Background Count of a Domain can be Cleansed/Filtered, Astral Hazing is not a Normal Condition.
Just my Two Nuyen... smile.gif

Indeed - the Filtering text specifically refers to the ambient mana conditions so hazing is immune. I suspect it's not RAI but it's certainly RAW.
Mardrax
QUOTE (Aerospider @ Sep 30 2011, 01:24 AM) *
There's nothing wrong with working around or otherwise alleviating negative qualities. The negative aspect is maintained in the efforts one has to make and initiating is quite an effort to go to.

Just that in this case, it opens up the way to the mess that arises when Geomancy comes into play.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012