Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Mission Template?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Relecs
Hey Dumpshock

I was wondering if anyone had created a basic outline/template for shadowrun missions

Something with a spot for Johnson's budget, motivation, etc. as well as the other required areas for a run.

I'm currently working on a shadowrun game which I would like to be very open ended and i think having something like this would work well for planning runs that the players might accept.

Thanks

Relecs
BishopMcQ
I haven't seen one for Shadowrun specifically, though I used a Hook Line Sinker model for years as a GM. Some of the Rifts books had ideas like this, but it can be applied to nearly any system. Basically, the premise is create a plot Hook--why the characters are involved; the Line is a one to two sentence about the problem; and Sinker with enough details that once the players are on the line, you can reel them into the action.

Example:
HL&S: Save the children

Hook: The players are passing though the outskirts of Seattle and come across a small commune in Puyallup.

Line: A member of the community will approach and ask for the players help. Over the last week several of their children have gone missing, along with a parent who went searching for them. 'Hooding characters should leap at the chance to help. If the players refuse to help then word will spread about how cold-hearted they are.

Sinker: The children have been kidnapped by gangers trying to broker a deal with Tamanous. They are living in a previously abandoned apartment building several miles north. It won't be too hard to find by asking around about large groups of children. The gangers drive a panel van and several motorcycles, and kids have been seen being unloaded from the van. Unfortunately it is too late for one of the children. Tamanous has taken custody of one of the kids already.
Paul
I use the Five Paragraph order format, just like Uncle Sam's Misguided Children taught me:

Orientation: This is where you keep track of terrain, weather, significant land marks or terrain obstacles as well as timeline stuff.

Situation: For me it's a brief synopsis-who, what, where, when, why and for how many cookies. I try to keep it brief.

Mission: The specifics. The employer's operating budget, their operational guidelines, what they actually tell the players and what they actually know, what the don't know, and how they want it done. I rarely have more than 3 objectives. It keeps it simple.

Execution: This is where I keep track of the opposition. Who they are. What people may or may not publicly know about them. Security design goes here-I divide it into physical security (Drones, terrain features, lighting, fences, employees-including any personal details that could be exploited; any possible pre-scripted contingency plans (In case of fire call 911, etc...), animals, physical plant (Where the power and lights come from, water, etc...); Magical Security and matrix Security. I don't worry about what the players might come up with, I deal with it as if i were actually the guy running security there. What things have they dealt with? What's their use of force policy? Why?

This is usually the lions share of my script.

Administration and Logistics: Does the opposition have some weak or strong points?Do they keep enough ammo on site to meet the needs of a small intercontinental war? Do they have their own fire fighting system? or do they call the fire department for anything bigger than a trash can fire?

Does the employer have resources he or she can offer the PC's? Maybe they want the players to think they're someone else, and offer stuff up to help that leads the players to that conclusion. Does MR. Johnson show up to the meet alone, or does he have a SPO detail? Will that detail step in if the street sam pops claws and shows off his Mohawk?

Is there random events that can through either the opposition for a loop? Bum fight at 2 'o'clock Saturday morning. Film Festival? The real world doesn't stop because they take a job.

Command and Signal: How do the PC's get a hold of the employer when they're done? Do they get a hold of the Employer afterwards? Does the opposition make use of pyrotechnics, comm-system's or walkie talkies? Most of this section is actually filled in by the PC's.

Do that and I bet you'll end up with a lot of bases covered.
Mayhem_2006
I work out what I want the players to do, broadly, then come up with means, motive, and opportunity. What sort of mission would my players enjoy, or would I most enjoy GMing? From there on its a step by step process to work out how the players and characters are going to get involved, using "Means, Motive and Opportunity".

What I want the players to do: Take part in a classic "caper" such as "The Train Job", "The taking of Pelham 123" or "The League of Gentlemen" - this includes the planning, procuring gear, surveillance etc.

Means: Paydata from another job tells them that one of the regular security convoys/trains belonging to company X is going to have an experimental prototype mcguffin on board. No additional security will be included as this would attract undue attention - though the usual security is pretty good in and of itself.

Motive: The security convoy will have money as well as the prototype. The prototype can be something of specific interest to the runners (a gun? A rank 8 commlink? A new cyber-component?) - whatever would get them interested. The company can be one that the players (or a player) has a personal vendetta against. They could even be hired by a 3rd party to hit the convoy for an entirely different reason.

Opportunity: They have enough time to carry out surveillance of the usual operation, from start to finish, at least twice between now and the day of the heist, as well as sufficient time to obtain most equipment that might be necessary and to pump contacts for info on the procedures.

Then, I add as many additional twists as I like. such as any or all from:
- the mcguffin isn't what the paydata said it was
- another team is planning to hit the convoy
- a personal enemy gets wind of the plan and decides to scupper it for his own vindictive reasons
- one of the party is approached to betray the others for a substantial reward
- one of the security guards turns out to be an old friend/colleague of one of the runners

etc etc

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012