Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom Melee Weapons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
SomeGuy
Hey, I wanted to ask, any one out there ever have a player want to build or use custom melee weapons in their game?

What i'm thinking is I want to use weapons called Tonfa (think police battons)

First of all I'm wondering what the damage code would be... I'm assuming it would fall under the "extendable baton" or "rattan stick" being STR+1 M stun damage.

any one come up with a good reason for other wise? (more or less damage)

And more importantly I would like to see what happens if I modify those tonfa... Insted make them out of say aluminum, or add studds, or flat out redesign them with an edge insted of blunt weapons.

Any sugestions?
Austere Emancipator
Just comparing them to a Club would have been my first idea, but that gives the same Damage Code.

Making them out of aluminum shouldn't make much of a difference. Extendable batons are made of far harder metals, and they're still only (Str+1)M Stun. Studs might be cool as a style thing, but I doubt they'd do much damage-wise.

If you made one with an edge, I'd probably use the stats of a Katar -- (Str+3)L. Light Physical in any case, either (Str+2)L or (Str+3)L.
Stumps
I've had players do this before.
it's real easy because you just let them design what they want or describe it to you, then you look through the book and compare it to other items already in stock in SR. Chances are, there's something that does pretty much the same thing, so most of the stats can be coppied from that item. The thing that will most likely change is the conceal rate.
As said, the damage rate isn't going to change a whole lot for melee weapons, but I've had players come up with some interesting ideas before.
- poles with blades on both ends (forget the name for this weapon in real life)
- (this was genius right here) a mono-whip line with a small dikoted blade attached to the end of it. grinbig.gif (they ended up hurting themselves with it though)
- um...I don't know the name, but spikes you throw on the ground.
- bladed boomerangs
- throwing circles (thing on zena)
- baseball bats with nails sticking out
stuff like that...
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Stumps)
poles with blades on both ends
Lajatang? That has half-moon blades at both ends of a pole. Just call it a Polearm.
spikes you throw on the ground
Caltrops? Aren't there rules for these?
throwing circles
Chakram. Call it a Shuriken with extra Cool factor.
kevyn668
spikes you throw on the ground
Caltrops? Aren't there rules for these?

They also called "tetsubishi" for the Ninja-wannabes out there....

I thought there were rules for them too...Don't have my books handy.
danbot37
yea, in canon companion. Don't have the book with me right now, but I think they did (body)L, body being of the poor char that steps on it. Trying to run through a pile of these thrown down slowed pursuers to half movement rate. This is all going by memory though
SomeGuy
Yeah I was thinking going off of the Rattan stick rules, but i think if it were made out of solid aluminum it would change the damage code slightly. I mean the Extendable baton is made out of denser harder metals, but it's also smaller, there's a smaller striking area. A rattan stick or Tonfa is much thicker, more mass, and larger striking area.

About the biggest difference i'd see is having an aluminum strength+2 moderate stun

And I also thing by adding studs to it, it should go off the mace with spikes rules. for example, the Mace by it self is STR+3 m Stun, but when you add spikes on it it turns into a Str+1 M Physical damage

As with the customized bladed one i was thinking of going off like Ktar damage or some thing, some type of edged weapon.

The only thing i'm trying to figure out is it's basically two different edged weapons, you've got the katar-punch dagger on one side, and a short sword if you hold it the other way. I'd really rather not throw an item at my GM that's got two different damage codes.
John Campbell
QUOTE (SomeGuy)
Yeah I was thinking going off of the Rattan stick rules, but i think if it were made out of solid aluminum it would change the damage code slightly. I mean the Extendable baton is made out of denser harder metals, but it's also smaller, there's a smaller striking area. A rattan stick or Tonfa is much thicker, more mass, and larger striking area.

I think rattan sticks do too much damage, anyway. I mean, at fighter practice each week, I get hit repeatedly with rattan sticks, full-force blows from some pretty big guys, and typically soak all of it. Occasionally I'll get nailed with a really hard shot, or get hit where my armor is thin or non-existent, and take an L, but usually I don't take anything more than minor bruising, nothing that'd penalize my TNs. Even taking into account my armor (what's the Impact rating of mail?), and any Combat Pool I might have (which I think I'm mostly burning to keep from getting hit in the first place), consistently soaking 5-6M Stun (before armor) takes more Body dice than I think it's reasonable to assert that I've got.

Dropping the base damage for a rattan stick to (Str+1)L Stun would be a lot more accurate, I think. That'd allow room for more dangerous clubs in the (Str+1)M Stun range.

About the biggest difference i'd see is having an aluminum strength+2 moderate stun

And I also thing by adding studs to it, it should go off the mace with spikes rules. for example, the Mace by it self is STR+3 m Stun, but when you add spikes on it it turns into a Str+1 M Physical damage

The damage codes for maces are wacked, anyway. I don't buy that "blunt" necessarily has to mean "Stun". When you hit someone in the head with a mace, it doesn't knock them out. It crushes their fragging skull and splashes their brains across the battlefield. The spikes, if any, are just icing on the cake. I treat all maces as being "with spikes".

As with the customized bladed one i was thinking of going off like Ktar damage or some thing, some type of edged weapon.

The only thing i'm trying to figure out is it's basically two different edged weapons, you've got the katar-punch dagger on one side, and a short sword if you hold it the other way. I'd really rather not throw an item at my GM that's got two different damage codes.

The combat axe, with its separate damage code for the retractable thrusting point*, already goes there. I'm not sure I like that precedent, though, because it raises some other questions that lead to de-abstracting a combat system that can't really handle being de-abstracted. Like, "So, I can thrust with my glaive and do spear damage, right?" or "So I can use the butt end of my spear and do quarterstaff damage, right? And slash with the head for pole arm damage?"

I'd just pick one damage code or the other and run with it.

---
* Which is kind of goofy, anyway.
"Look, that dwarf charging us has a combat axe!"
"Ah, no big deal. It's just a big fragging axe. Now, if he had a thrusting point on it, we'd really be in trouble!"
-snikt-
"OH NO! HE'S GOT A THRUSTING POINT! RUN AWAY!"
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (SomeGuy)
adding studs to it, it should go off the mace with spikes rules

In addition to what John Campbell said above, what kind of studs are we talking about here? When I saw the word "stud" I did not think of spikes. Small, flat metal protrusions shouldn't change the damage dealt with a club significantly. Adding actual spikes might.

I mean the Extendable baton is made out of denser harder metals, but it's also smaller, there's a smaller striking area. A rattan stick or Tonfa is much thicker, more mass, and larger striking area.

Striking area doesn't mean much, you can do a lot of damage either way. Weight might, but I don't think an aluminum Tonfa would weigh much either. A 31" steel ASP can weigh 1.25kg/44oz. What kind of densities do hardwood and aluminum have?
SomeGuy
well the point of adding studs would focus the kinetic energy of the blow to a smaller point instead of a wider area increasing the probability of damage to the muscle tissue or bone.

So by putting metal studs onto the tonfa it should do more stun damage.

Plus it's shadowrun they probably don't make weapons out of real hardwood, it's most likely Acrylic or some other type of Plastic... those materials are far more cost effective.
Austere Emancipator
Actual hardwood might not be common, but with that logic it might be hard to get a hold of a tonfa made of actual aluminum, too. However, whatever material they'd be using to make those tonfas would probably have almost exactly the same attributes (density, hardness, etc) as hardwood, and the substitute would be similar to aluminum.

In any case, unless the tonfa would then be made really massive I can't see how that would make do more damage. Like I said, an extendable baton can weigh well over 1kg, nearly as much as an actual mace might. Just adding more weight to such items shouldn't make much of a difference, damage-wise, beyond such a point.

[Anal]If focusing the energy of the tonfa on a smaller area would cause it to do more damage, then shouldn't an Extendable Baton do more damage to begin with?[/Anal]
SomeGuy
heh nope, tip isn't rounded to a point causing the focus of kinetic energy ^_^

anal, maybe, but they put studs on nunckaku, tonfa, and rattan sticks in real life for a reason.
Austere Emancipator
I don't think the rounding of the point is of much importance there... It still remains a ~1-1.5cm ball of steel which focuses most of the energy from that 31"/79cm, 1.25kg, completely rigid baton. It is quite likely indeed to break bones and seriously damage muscle tissue.

I'm not saying putting studs on such weapons wouldn't have any difference whatsoever. The question is whether that difference is significant enough to merit a +1 in Power.

Just looked through the Damage Codes of blunt weapons in Cannon Companion, and I've got to say it'd be hard to make your numbers less logical. A Bo staff does (Str+3)M, WTF? And you can already do (Str+2)M Stun with a chair, a rifle butt or a steel pipe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012