Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: charged: new spell limit and/or physad geasa
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
mfb
i've got an idea for a new phsyad geasa and/or spell limit:

Charged
Powers or spells with the Charged geasa/limit can only be used (Magic/2) times before requiring a 'recharge'. Recharging one use of a spell or power requires a Complex Action, and causes Drain. For physad powers, the Drain damage is (power point cost x2)M; for spells, it is equal to the force that the caster learned the spell at. Recharging cannot take place while the power is in effect; for instance, an adept with charge-geased Low-Light Vision would not be able to recharge that power while using it.

Activating a charge-geased physad power requires no action, and may be done before the effect of another action takes place. For instance, a physad with charge-geased Magic Resistance could use that power against any spell cast at him, even if he is surprised. Sensory powers, once activated, remain in effect for (Magic) minutes. A physad may choose not to activate a power. In surprise situations, the adept should only be told the basic parameters of the situation which triggers his power--"a spell is being cast on you", for instance, in the case of the Magic Resistance power.
BitBasher
I think the drain is a little psycho, but I think it's cool.
Kanada Ten
I would just say that an adept can only use the geased power three times per day. The geasa only applies to when the power is used. For instance, Increased Ability dice would only be added to a skill three times at the adepts desire. Powers that are always on or have sustained effect (such as Traceless Walk) either cannot be geased in this way or last a limited time (Magic in Combat Turns)...

I'm not a big fan of the Drain idea because it seems like a "Personal Sacrifice" geasa to me.
mfb
the drain is psycho-too-hard, or psycho-too-easy?

i'm not sure what a Personal Sacrifice geas is, so i can't respond to the second. but 3 times per day is way too limiting, for a mere 25% reduction.
BitBasher
I meant too hard, specifically for spells. being the "force the caster learned it at(m)" A lot of the time that may be significantly higher than the spell itself.
mfb
hm. point. maybe give it the same drain code as the spell itself? spells with changeable drain levels would default to M.
BitBasher
I think that would be just nifty. smile.gif
mfb
thought of another one.

Visible Magic
Whenever a magical effect with the Visible Magic geasa is used, the Perception TN to notice the magic gains a -4 modifier. If there is normally no TN to notice it, the TN becomes 4. The display is obviously supernatural--glowing eyes, flashes of light or darkness, horrible wails from some invisible source, etc. The display and its modifiers to Perception checks extends to the Astral plane.
Zazen
I've been using that for years. We call it Obviousness.

Generally I make it involve some sort of glow so that targeting is slightly easier.
BitBasher
We've been using that gaesa for a number of years too, works fine.
Kanada Ten
The only problem I have with it is that one could easily use it as an intimidation tactic, and rightly so. I'd probably allow it though.
Zazen
Damn straight it's an intimidation tactic. The first person in my group to use it was me, and it looked like this. It's pretty cool... unless you care about getting shot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012