Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sign me up...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Emeraldknite
http://www.reuters.com/video/2011/09/20/hu...deoId=221678214

Couldn't find it posted.
Brazilian_Shinobi
When this thing becomes common place, it will be time to develope deadlier weapons to pass through it.
Saint Hallow
Isn't this pretty much orthoskin?
Neowulf
"Spiders under my skin... Spiders Under My Skin! Getemout getemout getemout!!!"
Yeah, as much as I inflict body mods on my characters, this would be way too creepy to consider for myself.
Ryu
Orthoskin sounds right. Gods forbid if you allow these people to create close-to-rigid structures.
Hound
sounds like they don't actually add it to living humans though, or at least I didn't hear them mention anything like that. Really need to regulate the volume on videos like that, some of us have sleeping roommates. But anyways, if getting the upgrade yourself was too scary, how about wearing a vest that is made of human flesh and spider silk? nyahnyah.gif
Saint Hallow
Wearing human flesh mixed with spidersilk... sounds like something from Wormwood.
Neowulf
... Now imagine Gunny from full metal jacket screaming "It puts the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again! Are we clear maggots!?!" at new recruits learning to care for their gear.
CanRay
QUOTE (Neowulf @ Oct 5 2011, 03:33 PM) *
... Now imagine Gunny from full metal jacket screaming "It puts the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again! Are we clear maggots!?!" at new recruits learning to care for their gear.
R. Lee Ermey.

And, worse than that, I see every recruit in their own little hole, all alone, having to do it while he watches from above. And when the lights go out they have to strip, clean, and check their rifles five times before they're allowed to sleep, him watching with NVD.

BTW: He was only promoted to Gunny after he retired from the Marine Corps. No, I'm not joking.
Ol' Scratch
Sounds more like a Dermal Sheath to me. Augmentation, p. 40, "While dermal plating bonds hard plastic and metal fiber plates to the user’s skin, dermal sheathing weaves a smooth, semi-synthetic coating into the user’s epidermis, resulting in sleeker and less bulky protection."
last_of_the_great_mikeys
I'm imagining the Livingwear™ options here. cyber.gif Perhaps some enhanced by that spirit thingee in Attitude to have a spirit power in it, too!

Bulletproof, retractable claws and perhaps the movement power?
Saint Hallow
Both Dermal Sheathing & Orthoskin have a weave being integrated into the body. Dermal Sheathing is in the skin, while Ortho is right under it. Depending on the material, it can go either way.
Neraph
QUOTE (Saint Hallow @ Oct 5 2011, 08:07 PM) *
Both Dermal Sheathing & Orthoskin have a weave being integrated into the body. Dermal Sheathing is in the skin, while Ortho is right under it. Depending on the material, it can go either way.

I assume it's Orthoskin because it is altered actual skin using a biological compound (bioware) as opposed to having some sort of mesh implanted underneath the skin (sheathing - cyberware).
Stalag
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Oct 5 2011, 02:56 PM) *
When this thing becomes common place, it will be time to develope deadlier weapons to pass through it.

Meh - call me when it's actually done and useful
Brazilian_Shinobi
5 years, 10 years top from now?
Stalag
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Oct 7 2011, 10:02 AM) *
5 years, 10 years top from now?

Maybe - it's still in that gray area of new technology where they have it working just enough to generate some buzz and hopefully get some funding... but if they can't get any investors and/or can't get it to a point where it can stop a full speed bullet and disperse the kinetic energy enough to keep it from still causing massive internal concussive trauma then this will be like 98% of all the really cool shizzle you see in Popular Machanics... pipe dreams and smoke screens
Brazilian_Shinobi
I don't know. Every now and then I see some news about a new experiment from Miguel Nicolelis about brain-machine interface and I can't stop imagining when ware will become common place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012