Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Warforms
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
CanRay
Rats are being used to smell out Tuberculosis... Get a good one that can do that, and you got a good genetic screener for an old and nasty disease that's plagued mankind for time immemorial.

And yet we can't clone humans for transplants or even try to get Type O-Negative Cloned Blood... No, that'd be "EVIL". *Shakes Head*
Draco18s
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 11 2011, 12:18 PM) *
And yet we can't clone humans for transplants or even try to get Type O-Negative Cloned Blood... No, that'd be "EVIL". *Shakes Head*

Oddly though, we CAN clone them for stem cells...
Bigity
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 11 2011, 11:18 AM) *
Rats are being used to smell out Tuberculosis... Get a good one that can do that, and you got a good genetic screener for an old and nasty disease that's plagued mankind for time immemorial.

We'll get there eventually, but I'm in no rush to create soulless animated bodies which could turn out to be a variation on a zombie apocalypse.

I think we'll see organ farming first, rather than entire human bodies. Like a read something some time ago about how they are using mice bodies to growth complete human teeth, suitable for transplant.
Neraph
We have great advances of cyberware and bioware, so I'm not exactly worried about cloned organs.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Neraph @ Oct 12 2011, 10:23 AM) *
We have great advances of cyberware and bioware, so I'm not exactly worried about cloned organs.

Personally if my [insert organ here] fails, I'd rather have one vat grown from my own DNA than wait around for some bloke to kick the bucket.

Not that I'm against organ donation, just that I'd prefer something that is 100% guaranteed to match without rejection.
CanRay
Not to mention feeling kind of ghoulish living off someone else dying... frown.gif

Yeah, cloned organs, even "Type O" suggested in Shadowrun, would go a long way in a lot of ways.
Neraph
No, I meant mechanical or bionic organs, not transplants.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Neraph @ Oct 13 2011, 09:37 AM) *
No, I meant mechanical or bionic organs, not transplants.

We don't have cyber eyes yet, at least not to the degree that would be acceptable.

Last I checked they were black and white only, and not with the best resolution (enough to walk down a sidewalk and maybe read a book, but not drive a car).
Hound
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Oct 13 2011, 08:49 AM) *
We don't have cyber eyes yet, at least not to the degree that would be acceptable.

Last I checked they were black and white only, and not with the best resolution (enough to walk down a sidewalk and maybe read a book, but not drive a car).

man, I don't know, but the tone I read this post in sounds like you are substantially unimpressed by that level of cybereyes. Meanwhile, my mind is busy exploding, we totally live in the future!

Also, on the organ thing, I heard about a technique in which pig organs are "scrubbed" (a process which removes the functional cells of the organ, but leaves behind the cartilage-like "scaffold" of the organ) then are given human cells from the intended recipient, which grow to the shape and function of the organ "scaffold." Apparently the project was quite successful, and the organs could be grown in like two weeks, with the same kind of acceptance rate one would expect from a true cloned organ.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Hound @ Oct 14 2011, 07:38 AM) *
man, I don't know, but the tone I read this post in sounds like you are substantially unimpressed by that level of cybereyes. Meanwhile, my mind is busy exploding, we totally live in the future!

http://xkcd.com/864/

As for being unimpressed:
I am actually quite impressed with the level we do have. But speaking as someone who's likely to lose one or both eyes to an incurable disease* in the not-so-distant future, I'd at least like a sidegrade in vision, not a downgrade.

*Don't get herpes kids.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012