Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mechwarrior 5?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Stahlseele
OK, so i stumbled upon this on the MWLL boards.
Who had stumbled upon it on the CBT boards.
https://twitter.com/InnerSphereNews
They have been releasing puzzle parts of a bigger image.
The image of a Mech. Which we experts have, by now, come to tentatively call an Atlas (OMG SQUEE!)
Furthermore, the Bottom of the bigger Picture has some writing on it, that indicates a release date maybe(OMG PLZ!)
The image used for comparing the hidden Mech: http://i.imgur.com/NMjPpl.jpg
The image as complete as possible right now: http://i.imgur.com/lgYGL.jpg
Link to the CBT board which does the re-assemblimg of the snippets:
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/in...,11198.330.html

Don't really know who did the right image in the comparsion one . .
Adarael
I assume you've seen this video? I mean, I HOPE you have...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJU4iA4TWIs
Stahlseele
You assume correctly.
Adarael
Okay, whew. I was gonna say!
Stahlseele
What? "Hand over your Nerd-License"? ^^
Adarael
I was thinking more like, "Have you been ill? I know you love mechwarrior. Should I call a doctor?"
CanRay
Well, at least Smith & Tinker are doing something.

Also, I think we're going to need bigger guns. Bigger fraggin' guns!
Shortstraw
Only played mechwarrior 2, given it is free is 4 worth downloading to play?
CanRay
QUOTE (Shortstraw @ Oct 12 2011, 10:00 PM) *
Well, you won't ask for your money back. nyahnyah.gif
Faraday
QUOTE (Shortstraw @ Oct 12 2011, 08:00 PM) *

Quite. It was very fun when I played around on it.
Tiralee
"Only played mechwarrior 2, given it is free is 4 worth downloading to play?"

Pfft! Hell yes.

I liked the mechanic of juggling mechs/weapons/availability - starting out with the Dragoons Vs that of the Highlanders, that little bit of flavour.
Liked Mechwarrior, loved Mercs, thought 3 was disappointing and 4 (storyline) a trifle overwrought...good battles though. (So, save sister or loot the ammo depot. Yeah, like THAT's a hard choice....<later> "Oh crap, I ditched my whiney sister for this! Joker can go hit on co-eds at some bumfuck backwater training facility after we win...")

4 Mercs works soo much better, less bitchy whinging, more Solaris action! smile.gif And it's free!

I would like it though if you could write in a subroutine that allowed ammo/coolant useage to reflect on mech handling. I mean, after you've expended all the munitions, I'd like a mech to handle lighter...

-Tir

Getting stuck between a bunch of Calliopes hurts...but not as much as having your wingman stupidly reverse into you and go critical against your weak back armour.
Stahlseele
The MW4 Mercs Free Release also incorporates all of the MEchs from MW4 Vengeance, Black Knight and the MechPacks i think.
PLUS several others that MekTek modded in. PLUS elementals. PLUS More Weapons.

Also, if you have a computer that can handle it, try and get your paws on Crysis Wars and download the MWLL Mod.
You can Play Mechs, Tanks, ASF, Hovercraft, VTOL, Artillery and frigging Annoying little Pest Elementals too!
Erik Baird
Okay, why is the Warhammer worried about a Jenner? The pilot oughta be thinking, "Eat this, gnat!" And what happened to the female computer voice from the previous MW's?

Stahlseele
Because the Jenner is one of the most heavyly armed light mechs and can out dance a warhammer in it's sleep to pepper the thin backside with it's considerable arsenal?
As for the Voice, no idea . .
@russ_bullock: Okay #MechWarrior fans have a great weekend. Keep spreading the word on @InnerSphereNews big news coming down the pipe! < 2yrs promise
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Erik Baird @ Oct 14 2011, 08:06 PM) *
And what happened to the female computer voice from the previous MW's?

Carole Ruggier?

-k
Erik Baird
Yeah, but the Jenner is jumping.... That makes the Jenner a wonderful target. A single PPC shot will burn off the armor for any location it hits. The Jenner can't take two PPC shots from a Warhammer, let alone the alpha strike the Warhammer could have delivered in the trailer.
ggodo
That's one thing I'd like them to put in the games, a little bit of balance between the mechs, or at least a reason to use something smaller than an assault for everything. I love the lighter mechs, but they've always felt so useless in the PC games. Admittedly, I've only a clear recollection of 3&4 because my copy of two is annoyed at my modern operating system. Were there non-Solaris missions in those where Lights were useful?
Stahlseele
Actually, MW4 Mercs had one specific Mission for a REALLY light and fast Mech . .
You had to sneak into an enemy base and stand there for some time next to a building to scan it . .
And then get the hell out of there . .
Otherwise? Pretty much no . .
MW3 is a bit more difficult to say, because you had FULL Customization in that one.
And you CAN build some really horrible rapey light mechs, if you know how to . .
CanRay
Shoot and scoot! Shoot and scoot!

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODGE!!!
Stahlseele
Well, the Atlas is pretty much complete, including the FACE:
http://i.imgur.com/uzvus.jpg
Tanegar
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Oct 29 2011, 04:39 PM) *
the Atlas

Or, as I like to call it, the hundred-ton pile of "Fuck you." grinbig.gif
Stahlseele
Well, as long as the Atlas was the only 100t Mech, sure.
Now it's just another Lyran Scout Mech . .
Stahlseele
OK, it is a Steiner Scout-Lance:
http://p.twimg.com/AdBpy-ZCQAESWXL.jpg:large
ggodo
Steiner, We scout with assault mechs because we can.
CanRay
"Aggressive Reconnaissance."
ggodo
It's Reconnaissance, with a lightsaber.
Stahlseele
Slow and Steady instead of Fast and Furious.
Steiner Scout-Lances can out-maneuvre most fortifications, and that's usually enough.
CanRay
And probably call artillery on their own positions so that the poor guys in Arty don't have to do complex calculations. nyahnyah.gif
Stahlseele
Well, seeing how the Steiner Scouts are usually the only ones who can take and survive an artillery Hit . . yeah, sounds about right too . .
Stahlseele
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/31/new-mech...a-pc-exclusive/
YES YES YES!
Stahlseele
http://p.twimg.com/AdHBDTtCAAA4RvV.jpg
ONLINE . . makes me kinda sad . . .
Summer 2012 . . Sounds nice enough O.o
Ryu
What is this "free-to-play" stuff? How do I justify being annoyed by Steam and their ilk if I donīt have to pay a price?

And Ryu is still free. Lucky me.
Stahlseele
Free to Play is an MMO Business Modell . .
You don't pay to play. But you CAN pay to play BETTER . .
Tanegar
You mean that awesome Warhammer-versus-Atlas trailer is for a game that's just going to be one more avenue for me to be screamed at by foul-mouthed 14-year-olds using words I really, really hope they don't understand? Le sigh.
Stahlseele
You know World of Tanks?
I guess it's gonna be kinda like that.
We'll have to wait and see though . .
silva
(from PCGamer interview)
Is there any chance of, say, cooperative missions? Where you’re playing through a story mission, or a fun challenge mission with scripted events?

BE: We have considered co-op. We’ve discussed single-player. We’re looking at how those will play out. But right now, as part of the initial launch, those will not be included.

Im extremelly disappointed.

I was hoping so much for this game, and now its just another online teen fragfast.

(well.. time to go back to the C++ books, and continue with my project of a Front Mission-inspired Battletech game.. )
Stahlseele
Yeah, many people are very disappointed with this developement . .
Basically, it looks like World of Tanks with Mechs right now . .

And if you get something going with that project of yours, let me know please ^^
Chimera
I dunno. I'm stoked for an online game. A true test of a mechwarrior's skill is against a thinking opponent smile.gif

As long as they don't try to make it a DOTA with robots...
CanRay
Spawn, missiles, dead. Spawn, missiles, dead. Spawn, missiles, dead.

frown.gif
Adarael
I'm gonna put it this way: if Primetide hadn't come to talk about Shadowrun Online, and you'd read this about SRO, wouldn't you be saying the same thing? Withhold judgement until there are some details about the game - ANY details.
CanRay
Or a Beta.

But, mark my words, my games will likely go: Spawn, missiles, dead. Spawn, missiles, dead. Spawn, missiles, dead.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Adarael @ Nov 1 2011, 06:32 AM) *
I'm gonna put it this way: if Primetide hadn't come to talk about Shadowrun Online, and you'd read this about SRO, wouldn't you be saying the same thing? Withhold judgement until there are some details about the game - ANY details.

No, i would NOT be saying this.
Because SHADOWRUN is PERFECT for MMO/RPG . .
While Battletech/Mechwarrior, simply, IS NOT. <.<

This looks like a World of Tanks Clone with Battlemechs right now -.-
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 1 2011, 06:37 AM) *
Or a Beta.

But, mark my words, my games will likely go: Spawn, missiles, dead. Spawn, missiles, dead. Spawn, missiles, dead.

If it's as much of a World of Tanks Clone as it seems to me right now, THAT won't be a Problem at all . .
Chimera
I wonder though. What kind of game were people expecting MW5 to be. Something more like MW3 or 4? Or just looking for a single player game.

I also have to wonder, pure speculation mind you, if a co-op or single player mode was originally intended, and then decided against in the two years hence since it was first announced. Free-to-play (and then using microtransactions for in-game content) seems to be the new model to generate revenue.
Tanegar
First Look

Interview with Piranha president Russ Bullock

Interview with Russ Bullock and Creative Director Bryan Ekman

OK, after reading those, I'm marginally less pessimistic.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Chimera @ Nov 1 2011, 02:30 PM) *
I wonder though. What kind of game were people expecting MW5 to be. Something more like MW3 or 4? Or just looking for a single player game.

I also have to wonder, pure speculation mind you, if a co-op or single player mode was originally intended, and then decided against in the two years hence since it was first announced. Free-to-play (and then using microtransactions for in-game content) seems to be the new model to generate revenue.

We were EXPECTING a Campaign based single player or Sandbox Style Single-Player Mech-Sim.
With Multiplayer Component. With Unreal Engine 3 Graphics and a fully working MechLab with optical Components . .
Basically, MW4Mercs Free Release done by MekTek and Mechwarrior: Living Legends put together into one Game.
Critias
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Nov 1 2011, 11:46 AM) *
We were EXPECTING a Campaign based single player or Sandbox Style Single-Player Mech-Sim.

Yeah.

So it's not so much that I hate the game we're getting, I'm just disappointed because it's not what I was initially expecting. I liked the idea of an Unseen-era "throwback" game where you were gonna be the last Davion nobleman on a planet beset by Kuritans. I wanted to just get one of the older Mechwarrior games with badass upgraded graphics.

Getting a free-to-play Word of Battlemechs game isn't the worst thing ever, or anything like that. It's just not what was initially on the box, so to speak.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Nov 1 2011, 11:46 AM) *
With Multiplayer Component. With Unreal Engine 3 Graphics and a fully working MechLab with optical Components . .
Basically, MW4Mercs Free Release done by MekTek and Mechwarrior: Living Legends put together into one Game.

Thirded. Personally, I'd take MW5 Mercenaries over a MW5 scripted campaign, but that's a bit like saying I'd take a night with Tera Patrick over a night with Jenna Jameson: either would send me over the moon.
Chimera
I suppose they (the developers) are trying to get the most bang for their buck by going in the direction whats most popular now, which is online multiplayer. Diablo III is going in a similar direction, and that's created a some grumblings of its own.

Now, I'm not an apologist for anyone, and what the hell do I know; the game could sound great pre-release but end up tasting like a piece of ass pie. But what I'm most interested in is the tactical aspect that they are advertising. If they can make it so all the various weight-classes have a role to play (so to speak), then I'll take a closer look.
Stahlseele
If you read de Dev Blog 0, you will see that no publisher was interested enough in making the singleplayer with multiplayer . .
So they took over the complete rights to mechwarrior. And suddenly, other corps were begging them to make an online only/f2p game.
And one of those was liked enough by them to make a deal with the corp. who had suggested that and now they are working together.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012