Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manascape and False Impression
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cloud
At first I though it was pretty straight-forward but then I started to think more about it and now I'm not sure if I am over thinking it or under thinking it

False Impression obviously only targets one aura but manascape targets all in its area. This includes itself, right? It says no creating new auras but what about just hiding them so that there is no apparent aura?

If I cast Manascape on myself, can I make my aura mundane and make manascape look like it isn't there? If it is force 5, it covers a 5 meter radius. If is cannot 'hide' itself, is there a giant 5 meter radius magic bubble drawing everyone's attention to it on the astral?

<Digital Grimoire>
(Realistic, Multi-Sense)
These spells create illusions designed to feed false information
to the magical senses of passers-by. While it cannot create auras or
astral forms where there are none, it can change the impressions
gained from Assensing, the Psychometry or Sensing metamagic,
the Astral Window spell, the Magic Sense adept power, and
other magical senses. Manascape
can affect an entire area, changing the impression of background
count, multiple auras, astral forms, etc.
Yerameyahu
There's some previous debate about this issue (search), but one reading is that it doesn't say it hides auras at all. You have to actively decide that ' feed false information' and 'change the impressions' mean 'hide auras'; otherwise, it merely changes the information in them (and there's lots of info in auras to change).

Personally, I'm not clear if it acts on itself, either.
Cloud
Sorry, I did not search enough.

AH already answered in a different thread:

"False Impression and Manascape can alter the sensory impression of a spell, but not remove the fact that it's there."

"Give you an example: an adept with Magic Sense and a full magician with Sensing walk past a room which contains a quickened Manascape spell; the purpose of the spell is to give the impression that the room is in fact a place of power aspected toward Santeria ritual magic.

The adept will sense the impression the spell gives, but will also sense the spell - as far as he knows, the room is a place of power and there is a quickened or sustained spell in the room. The magician, if only using Sensing, would only detect the false information generated by the spell; if using Assensing she would detect both the false information and the spell itself. If either end up in the room while actually Santeria ritual magic is going on, they might draw some conclusions based on the fact that the obvious power of the room doesn't seem to be "helping" the karcists. "
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012