Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drone Loadout
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Paul
So if you were loading out some drones, what would you hook up as a player? I'm thinking at least a pair of flight capable drones that are able to handle a hard or firm point or two, and a pair of ground based-all of which are in addition to the sensor based drones we'd have.

I was thinking a pair of Guardian's one kitted out with a narcojet/capsule rifle and a grenade launcher, the other a little more sever-but I am looking for options.
Yerameyahu
That's a good way to make the game no fun, though. Either you'll steamroll, or you'll lose your expensive toys (or you'll simply resent not being allowed to use them after you invested in them). smile.gif
Paul
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 14 2011, 10:03 AM) *
That's a good way to make the game no fun, though. Either you'll steamroll, or you'll lose your expensive toys (or you'll simply resent not being allowed to use them after you invested in them). smile.gif

I'm not sure those are the inevitable results, but they are possibilities. Since we need to manage both some lethal and nonlethal options, this is a good way for us as a smaller group to expand our options. To increase our firepower, and effectiveness. We currently have a great amount of depth in our capability to use drones for surveillance purposes, but we don't have a lot of armed drones. Since our opposition is increasingly making use of armed drones we're looking at what our options are.
Yerameyahu
My brevity overstates the issue a bit, it's true. smile.gif Still, it has been my personal experience, and I thought I'd toss it in. I'd have the same problem with a PC carrying a grenade launcher, honestly, except drones are 'expendable' and immune to things.
Paul
For what it's worth we're not trying to escalate things, but a series of unfortunate events has resulted in one of us quickly gaining a Nation State's disfavor. Which no matter how temporal it may be is a dangerous situation for us. If we're lucky we'll be allowed to fade into the woodwork-but we tend to plan for worst case scenarios!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Indeed... I tend to not have combat capable drones of my own (Or at least, only a very few). I prefer the surveillance capabilities of Drones over the combat capabilities.
Paul
Yeah we're pretty serious about our surveillance. We'd prefer to stick to the soft touch, but we also need to plan ahead. Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance, and all that. Heh.
Ascalaphus
Bust-a-Move drones are cheap individually, and probably have a Device Rating of 3 (household drone). Get better pilot, stealth autosoft and wifi grenades, and enjoy.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Paul @ Oct 14 2011, 09:44 AM) *
Yeah we're pretty serious about our surveillance. We'd prefer to stick to the soft touch, but we also need to plan ahead. Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance, and all that. Heh.

Ahhh, The 7 P's. And lets never forget SMEAC either... smile.gif
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 14 2011, 06:22 PM) *
Ahhh, The 7 P's. And lets never forget SMEAC either... smile.gif

Is this some kind of American army planning thing that seems completely obvious to those who know about it? I don't. Tell me? smile.gif
Udoshi
I've run a few drone configurations.

I think my favorite was a set of lovingly-modified Lonestar Dalmations, covertly converted to flying, armed, one-team-member taxis.
Their role has since been replaced by the one good drone in MilspecTech, the Hawker-Siddley Mixcoatl - its hella expensive for a glorified rotodrone, but it comes with a bunch of stuff you were going to get anyway, and at no mod slot cost(fleximount, improved sensors)

Dragonflies are a close favorite. They're fairly expensive, but become a lot more reasonable when you realize the extra 1k on cost compared to drones of its type is because it has an ultrasound sensor included in the cost - its in the description, but the devs never provide detailed sensor rules.

Offensive iballs are one I like as well. Flash-paks are underrated, and an offensive one nets you the Security Drone classification for device rating. Just make sure to use the core book one(there's some rules incostencies where it has a speed and acceleration, but isn't able to move due to the arsenal mod update. Another option is the 'remove' the stock mod for limited maneuverability, per the usual rules for doing so, and put the wheels back on'.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Oct 14 2011, 04:20 PM) *
Is this some kind of American army planning thing that seems completely obvious to those who know about it? I don't. Tell me? smile.gif

SMEAC is an Acronym, used in the U.S. Marine Corps (and other services IIRC), for the 5-Paragraph Order.
It is used for mission briefing/planning...

Situation
Mission
Execution
Administration and Logistics
Command and Control

Something I still have ingrained in me even after being out for 20 years.
Here is a quick writeup -

Outline of five paragraph order:

I. Situation
A. Enemy Forces
1.Enemy's Composition, Disposition, Strength:(SALUTE) Size, Activity, Location, Unit, Time observed, Equipment
2.Enemy's Capabilities & Limitations: (DRAW-DG) Defend, Reinforce, Attack, Withdraw, Delay, Gas
3.Enemy's Most Likely Course Of Action (EMLCOA)

B. Friendly Forces
1.Higher's Mission & Intent
2.Adjacent Units North/South/East/West
Same Echelon

3.Supporting

C. Attachments/Detachment

II. Mission
Who, What, Where, When, and (most importantly) Why?

III. Execution

A. Commander's Intent
1.Center of Gravity
2.Critical Vulnerability
3.Exploitation Plan
4.Desired Endstate

B. Concept of the Operations
1.Scheme of Maneuver
2.Fire Support Plan

C. Tasks
D. Coordinating Instructions

IV. Administration/Logistics (Sustainment in the Army version)

A. Administration - "Bad Guys & Bandages": EPW & Casevac Plans
B. Logistics - "Beans, Bullets, & Batteries": Chow, Ammo, Supply, Comms, Pyro, etc.

V. Command/Signal (Command and Control in the Army version)

A. Signal
1.Primary
2.Secondary

B. Command
1.Location of Key Leaders
2.Succession of Command

Since Marines and Soldiers work in small teams, it is important that each member know and understand the order in its entirety so as to be aware of which parts of the order apply directly to them and the subordinate unit to which they belong without being exceedingly aware of minute details provided for general situational awareness.
Ol' Scratch
The first one I usually grab or advice is at least one Renraku Stormcloud with Chameleon Coating and a sniper rifle of choice, plus as many sensor enhancements as I can cram onto it. Nothing like an invisible eye in the sky other than an invisible eye in the sky that can take out an enemy with a snap of the fingers.

Other than that, it depends on the type of character I'm working on. Faces (a favorite of mine) and other non-dedicated riggers usually get a microdrone or two, maybe even an MCT Fly-Spy or Lone Star iBall. Street-level riggers might pick up a few larger ones, like a Lockheed Optic-X and GM-Nissan Doberman, preferring to beef them up and make them nice and hardy rather than going for sheer numbers. My combat/military riggers tend to go the opposite route, picking up a number of larger and more expensive ones, seeing them as more disposable. But I don't play those types too often.

But yeah, a Stormcloud and a handful of micro- and minidrones is what I prefer. My last Face also had a bunch of those swarming ones from Arsenal, but I can't recall the name of them. They were vicious little buggers. Regardless, I prefer to using drones as intelligence gathers and backup. I'm not a fan of using them to do all the work for me. Kinda boring to me to go that way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012