Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Astral Perception
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Paul
So when astrally perceiving a person with cybernetics how much information do you allow a player character or NPC to get? Can they simply recognize that someone has cybernetics? Or do they have a vague idea of what's there? Or can enough successes combined with experience get detailed information?
Loch
I would think it works something like this, going up through the levels with hits on the Assensing test and so on:

First, you see the creature's aura. This gives you info like spatial location, approximate shape and size.
If you actually take an action to assense, the first things you pick up is the outward appearance of the actual aura, which lets you know things like emotional/physical state, magical vs. mundane nature, and so on.
Looking further than that, you'll start to notice the more internal, less immediately obvious things (whether the ball-shaped aura is a fire or air spirit, for example). Cyberware detection is here as well; you get only the presence and location though; so unless you have some knowledge of implants, it's not likely that you'll know exactly what Mr. Johnson has in his head, for example, just that he has a good bit of chrome up there. This type of thing continues as you get more hits on the Assensing test.

So if you get 2 hits to Assense the common street samurai from p. 110 of The Precious, you'll know that both her arms are cybered (but you probably didn't need to Assense her to tell that). 3 hits gets you that she has not only two cyberarms, but alpha-grade cyberware in her eyes and a multitude of alpha-grade cyberware components attached to her adrenal glands and nerve clusters. As GM, I'd probably require a further relevant knowledge skill test to correctly identify the exact implant, but that's how I believe Assensing to work. It's not X-ray vision, after all; it's more like an image-linked sonar projection- you "ping" out with your Assensing test, and the data that comes back is up to you to interpret correctly.
Saint Hallow
I tend to liken Astral Perception & Thermographic vision to scrambled cable channels or snowy tv... in that the images you get can be recognizeable, but no fine details. Only after you squint for a bit & get to look at it, do you make out some details.
Hound
Normally if someone gets okay hits on an assensing test I'll tell them the general area and intensity of the cyberware. In my opinion something like a cyberlimb would be very easy to notice, but Wired Reflexes and the like would be more difficult, and kind of vague. Things like Synaptic Boosters would be almost impossible to notice, unless they get a really good roll.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Hound @ Oct 20 2011, 11:14 AM) *
Things like Synaptic Boosters would be almost impossible to notice, unless they get a really good roll.

Uh, SB is bioware. It's much harder to detect than cyberware, IIRC you need one hit to detect standard 'ware and three to detect beta 'ware and bioware.
Yerameyahu
AFAIK, you can't 'see inside' an aura. Enough Assensing hits to determine specific cyber is more like interpreting tell-tale swirls and patterns (or smells, etc.) in their aura. Still, this is all a pretty abstract, vague area. :/
Pendaric
I run the cyber rader sensor in a similiar way to how I run astral perception. Fluff description based on the perception test/senses and then its up to the player/ with knowledge test if requested to interpret with help based on the characters previous experiences. ( My transhumanist sam has a database of ware sigs in knowsoft form to help. He has not yet thoguh to program a search nmod thank GOd.)

On pure cyber limbs I dont elaborate on what is in them. I see no reason for the aura to pick up whats in the metal plastic polyimer appendage.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Pendaric @ Oct 20 2011, 06:30 AM) *
I run the cyber rader sensor in a similiar way to how I run astral perception. Fluff description based on the perception test/senses and then its up to the player/ with knowledge test if requested to interpret with help based on the characters previous experiences. ( My transhumanist sam has a database of ware sigs in knowsoft form to help. He has not yet thoguh to program a search nmod thank GOd.)

On pure cyber limbs I dont elaborate on what is in them. I see no reason for the aura to pick up whats in the metal plastic polyimer appendage.

But the Cyberware Scanner (and its inherent Software) tells you exactly what is there, if it detects it. There is no ambiguity. Which is often the issue. smile.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Oct 20 2011, 04:33 AM) *
Uh, SB is bioware. It's much harder to detect than cyberware, IIRC you need one hit to detect standard 'ware and three to detect beta 'ware and bioware.

3 gets you alpha. 4 is beta.
4 is also "standard bioware" (I assume, it does just say "bioware") whereas 5 gets you "fuckeverything"

At least according to SR4, not SR4A, which I think changed things (I recall looking at the chart once and seeing "2: cyberware. 4: deltaware" with nothing for 3, or similar)
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Oct 20 2011, 08:22 AM) *
3 gets you alpha. 4 is beta.
4 is also "standard bioware" (I assume, it does just say "bioware") whereas 5 gets you "fuckeverything"

At least according to SR4, not SR4A, which I think changed things (I recall looking at the chart once and seeing "2: cyberware. 4: deltaware" with nothing for 3, or similar)

For Reference:
The Assensing Table in SR4A:

Hits, Information Gained

• None

• The general state of the subject's health (healthy, injured, ill, etc.).
• The subject's general emotional state or impression (happy, sad, angry).
• Whether the subject is mundane or Awakened.

• The presence and location of [Standared] cyberware implants.
• The class of a magical subject (fire elemental, manipulation spell, power focus, and so on).
• If you have seen the subject's aura before, you may recognize it, regardless of physical disguises or alterations.

• The presence and location of alphaware cyber-implants.
• Whether the subject's Essence and Magic are higher, lower, or equal to your own.
• Whether the subject's Force is higher, lower, or equal to your Magic.
• A general diagnosis for any maladies (diseases or toxins) the subject suffers.
• Any astral signatures present on the subject.

• The presence and location of [Standard] bioware implants and betaware cyberimplants.
• The exact Essence, Magic, and Force of the subject.
•The general cause of any astral signature (combat spell, hearth spirit, and so on).

5+
• The presence and location of deltaware implants, genetreatments and nanotech.
• An accurate diagnosis of any disease or toxins which afflict the subject.
• The fact that a subject is a technomancer.
Paul
Thanks Tymeaus Jalynsfein.

I guess for my own opinion I like giving the Players as much as I can. I do like to make them work for it, but I also try to keep in mind the frustrations and realities of the Sixth world.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Paul @ Oct 20 2011, 10:28 AM) *
Thanks Tymeaus Jalynsfein.

I guess for my own opinion I like giving the Players as much as I can. I do like to make them work for it, but I also try to keep in mind the frustrations and realities of the Sixth world.

No Worries, Paul. Glad to be of service.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 20 2011, 10:40 AM) *
For Reference:

Thanks, didn't have 4A here at work.
And my recollection was from some time ago where I hadn't seen any notes other than "cyberware" and "deltaware" and was confused. Although I may have been missing something at the time.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Oct 20 2011, 09:33 AM) *
Thanks, didn't have 4A here at work.
And my recollection was from some time ago where I hadn't seen any notes other than "cyberware" and "deltaware" and was confused. Although I may have been missing something at the time.

No Worries Draco18s. Glad to be of help. smile.gif
Pendaric
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 20 2011, 10:10 AM) *
But the Cyberware Scanner (and its inherent Software) tells you exactly what is there, if it detects it. There is no ambiguity. Which is often the issue. smile.gif

Certainly, but the radar scanner cyber ware is not yet a cyber scanner per say in my game as its only '66 wink.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Pendaric @ Oct 21 2011, 07:43 AM) *
Certainly, but the radar scanner cyber ware is not yet a cyber scanner per say in my game as its only '66 wink.gif

Indeed, that would make a difference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012