Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thundercloud Morgan
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Dakka Dakka
This vehicle is weird. It is supposed to be some kind of a dune buggy with a weapon mount. Now here is what is weird:
  • The vehicle is available to everyone while sporting a forbidden modification.
  • The weapon in the mount cannot be moved but must be used by a human shooter (fixed mount, manual control), other than the driver.
  • The price is lower than any other car.

How did this vehicle happen? Who in their right mind would build a manually controlled fixed weapon mount. Even a gun port or pintle mount would be more effective and the former for a fraction of the cost and protects the shooter. A remote control would make the second crew member superfluous and the whole crew (the driver) would be safely behind armor (pretty light armor though).
CanRay
It's marketed towards big game hunters going after bounties of dangerous awakened animals, most likely. nyahnyah.gif
PresentPresence
Let's hope those animals don't move too erratically. Stay still, critter!
Paul
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Oct 20 2011, 12:34 PM) *
How did this vehicle happen?

Somebody watched Delta Force starring Chuck Norris too many times.
Stalag
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Oct 20 2011, 01:34 PM) *
  • The weapon in the mount cannot be moved but must be used by a human shooter (fixed mount, manual control), other than the driver.

How did this vehicle happen? Who in their right mind would build a manually controlled fixed weapon mount. Even a gun port or pintle mount would be more effective and the former for a fraction of the cost and protects the shooter. A remote control would make the second crew member superfluous and the whole crew (the driver) would be safely behind armor (pretty light armor though).

The first two do seem odd... the first that the "F" mod doesn't make the vehicle itself "F" (though in RL you are free and legal to put all the weapon mounts you want on a vehicle as long as they don't interfere with the operation of the vehicle and don't have any functional weapons in the mounts). The second that the mount is "fixed" instead of "flexible"... if it's fixed why would you need a gunner? It's only ever going to point whichever way the vehicle points.

The price is understandable... the Morgan is not a car, it's a dune buggy. Realistically it's something you're more likely to see cruising across the desert or in the mountains and not downtown Seattle.
Bigity
QUOTE (Paul @ Oct 20 2011, 12:00 PM) *

They could have watched Megaforce and we could have had flying motorcycles with rockets.
Paul
True but I was trying to think the best of them...biggrin.gif
Yerameyahu
It is my favorite vehicle. smile.gif
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Paul @ Oct 20 2011, 08:00 PM) *
I don't remember that movie, but I'm pretty sure the vehicles in that movie had flexible weapon mounts.
Paul
Mea Culpa. Your nerd credit rating is bigger than mine.
Dakka Dakka
If you have seen the movie yours is bigger than mine. I just thought using a fixed one would be too stupid even for a Chuck Norris movie.
Stahlseele
This thing is a beach-buggy.
It has roll-Bars.
No armored plates.
And on top of the cage, there is a mount for the gun, right?
Dakka Dakka
Right, except that the mount is fixed. I.e. maneuvering the whole vehicle is the only way to point the gun in the right direction. When to open fire is not the decision of the driver but a second crew member in the back.

This setup would make sense either with a flexible manually controlled mount or a fixed remote controlled mount.
Method
I think there were shooting for something like THIS.
Saint Sithney
I'm pretty glad that War introduced rules for vehicle combat that actually make flexible and turret mounts mechanically better.

In regular combat, there's nothing in the BBB rules that makes a fixed mount any less effective than a turret. I suppose that might be because BBB rules only have one type of mount.
KarmaInferno
I would point out that in earlier editions, fixed mounts still allowed an installed weapon to pivot by 5 degrees.

4th edition does not make mention of this, but it makes sense that it would still work similarly, otherwise all firing from fixed mounts would require vehicle tests rather than Gunnery.

-k
Method
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Oct 20 2011, 05:21 PM) *
...firing from fixed mounts would require vehicle tests rather than Gunnery.
Which is a great house rule either way if you ask me.
TheOOB
I imagine many corps try to add elements that would normally be illegal to legal products, loopholes and the like. I had the players steel the prototype for a gun that had a built in internal silencer that was marketed as an ergonomic feature, and thus legal for sale in the UCAS with no restriction(other than those applying to all pistols).
Yerameyahu
That's a hell of a loophole, but a much milder version of the principle might be sound.
CanRay
QUOTE (Method @ Oct 20 2011, 05:47 PM) *
HOT WHEELS!!!
QUOTE (TheOOB @ Oct 20 2011, 08:51 PM) *
I imagine many corps try to add elements that would normally be illegal to legal products, loopholes and the like. I had the players steel the prototype for a gun that had a built in internal silencer that was marketed as an ergonomic feature, and thus legal for sale in the UCAS with no restriction(other than those applying to all pistols).
Ah yes, gotta love them loopholes.

China apparently found one in Canada where they were able to ship AK-Clones as "BB-Guns". Supposedly. Either that, or someone from the RCMP flipped their lid when they found toys built with steel and wood instead of plastic.
TheOOB
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 20 2011, 09:01 PM) *
That's a hell of a loophole, but a much milder version of the principle might be sound.

Ares wanted those specs, either to copy them and beat the smaller company to market, or fight in court to try to make it illegal, since legal silenced weaponry would be worth billions to the corp that managed to pull it off first.

That's the kind of stuff that corps need runners for.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 21 2011, 05:25 AM) *
China apparently found one in Canada where they were able to ship AK-Clones as "BB-Guns". Supposedly. Either that, or someone from the RCMP flipped their lid when they found toys built with steel and wood instead of plastic.
Believe me, those ARE BB-guns. Airsoft guns more precisely. They do cost $250 or something thereabouts, though. There's also that $500 Mosin-Nagant rifle made of aluminium, with a wooden stock and real scope. It shoots plastic BBs too.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (TheOOB @ Oct 21 2011, 11:11 AM) *
Ares wanted those specs, either to copy them and beat the smaller company to market, or fight in court to try to make it illegal, since legal silenced weaponry would be worth billions to the corp that managed to pull it off first.
There is the Ingram Smartgun though... not legal but only restricted despite having a sound suppressor.
Not to mention the M22A3. There you have a grenade launcher everyone can get a license for.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 20 2011, 10:25 PM) *

Those AKs were actually BB guns, but could easily be converted to full on bullet-firing AKs with a few part swaps.

At least it's not like the US ATF when they seized shipment of Airsoft M-4s, claiming they could be converted to a real gun. Turns out that, yes, you technically could, but only by replacing 90% of the gun except the plastic shell holding everything together, and even then it would likely shake itself apart after a few shots.

It was more or less the equivalent of "These blocks of wood can be converted to real guns! Carve out some of the wood, stick in all the innards of a real gun, and it fires!

-k
Draco18s
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Oct 21 2011, 09:07 AM) *
It was more or less the equivalent of "These blocks of wood can be converted to real guns! Carve out some of the wood, stick in all the innards of a real gun, and it fires!

That makes me want to hand-carve a block of wood into a "real gun" with my pocket knife at boy scout camp.

Not that I go to BSA camp any more. Or whittle. Or want to spend that much effort.
Neraph
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Oct 21 2011, 09:49 AM) *
That makes me want to hand-carve a block of wood into a "real gun" with my pocket knife at boy scout camp.

Not that I go to BSA camp any more. Or whittle. Or want to spend that much effort.

Already been done.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Neraph @ Oct 21 2011, 10:20 AM) *

I said with a pocket knife. Dude clearly had that thing machined.
CanRay
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Oct 21 2011, 05:50 AM) *
Believe me, those ARE BB-guns. Airsoft guns more precisely. They do cost $250 or something thereabouts, though. There's also that $500 Mosin-Nagant rifle made of aluminium, with a wooden stock and real scope. It shoots plastic BBs too.
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Oct 21 2011, 09:07 AM) *
Those AKs were actually BB guns, but could easily be converted to full on bullet-firing AKs with a few part swaps.

-k
Yeah, well, I'm going to wait and see if more legitimate info comes along than from the RCMP or heavily biased newspapers... Not that there is a firearms friendly newspaper (or any other media) in Canada, I believe. frown.gif

At this point, it could be true, it could be false. And, yeah, this is a prime example of loopholes in the system that might be snuck around if the authorities aren't looking carefully enough. Or are, *Ahem*, encouraged to not look closely.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Oct 21 2011, 04:07 PM) *

Oh, yeah. Receiver, barrel, trigger, you'd also have to put the real internals in... What the hell were you smoking?! First off, those things were copied from Japanese models that have different dimensions than real-steel, that's one, different internal structure that disallows "a few part swaps", that's two, and are made of plastic, and that one's not relevant. Then, what Shadowrun should have taught you a long time ago, you don't believe the media as they're usually lying or talking out of their asses, or lying out of their asses to drum up the moral panic. And finally, do your legwork first. A little research and you wouldn't end up ridiculed by people who actually handled that stuff. ME.

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Oct 21 2011, 04:07 PM) *
At least it's not like the US ATF when they seized shipment of Airsoft M-4s, claiming they could be converted to a real gun. Turns out that, yes, you technically could, but only by replacing 90% of the gun except the plastic shell holding everything together, and even then it would likely shake itself apart after a few shots.

Oh, and that one was about something completely different too. Actually, the ATF threw a shit-fit over the fact that you could fit real-steel trigger mechanism to the cast zinc-alloy lower receiver of the toy (the only part of the real rifle that has a serial number stamped on it) with a liberal application of power drill, and then put it on a real-steel upper receiver to get an unregistered, untraceable rifle that could even fire once or twice before the lower receiver falls apart. If only Colt and other AR15 manufacturers weren't retarded and actually stamped the serial number on the upper receiver instead (or upper AND lower, twice), the whole brouhaha wouldn't have taken place.
CanRay
Seriously Mike, you handled these exact models that were in BC?

That said, I think I have put the warning that this could just be fearmongering on the Canadian Media and RCMP's part.

Hell, you should have heard the complaining and gnashing of teeth over the new Winnipeg Jet's logo. *Shakes Head*
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 21 2011, 06:23 PM) *
Hell, you should have heard the complaining and gnashing of teeth over the new Winnipeg Jet's logo. *Shakes Head*
Care to enlighten us Non-Canadians?
CanRay
The Roundel logo is supposed to be an homage to the long history and tradition Winnipeg has with the old Royal Canadian Air Force (The main training base was here for World War I and II), and was done with permission (And thanks, apparently) from the Canadian Armed Forces.

However, due to it's "Militaristic" stance, a lot of people are heavily up in arms about it, because, well, "The Military Is Evil And Kills Children" or something similar. I've even seen signs downtown going, "Who designed the new Jets logo? Satan?"

Never mind that the Canadian Armed Forces primary job is Search and Rescue, Securing the Canadian Waters, and Peacekeeper missions for the UN. Hell, Afghanistan was the first actual "Military" action Canada's had since the Korean War!

Don't understand it myself, but, then again, I'm a supporter of the Canadian Armed Forces, Veterans, and so on. So I'm not expected to, being in bed with "The Enemy" and such. Canadian Culture has always been this way. But we're edging towards the ToS, so I'll shut up now.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 21 2011, 06:23 PM) *
Seriously Mike, you handled these exact models that were in BC?

No, but if something is claimed to be a BB gun AK47 made out of steel and shipped from China, it's most probably either the Cyma or Boyi airsoft gun (cheaper, more common) or Real Sword airsoft gun (more expensive, more faithful to the original). Cymas use the same parts as their cheaper zinc-alloy AEGs, so my point still stands.
KarmaInferno
A) Thus far the Canadian authorities haven't mentioned what make and model toy weapon is mentioned. Without further information I can only go off what was reported.

B) The incident I was taking about required the toy lower receiver to be cut apart and put back together with a shim to make it wide enough to accept the trigger group and associated bits. The rest of the weapon was from AR-15 parts. It is possible the lower receiver was metal, but the pictures I saw they looked plastic.

The rest of my statement is definite, though - you could in fact make a lower receiver out of wood, since it doesn't have to actually contain any great stress or pressure. Granted, the wooden LR wouldn't last very long, but you'd likely get a few shots out of it.

The biggest stupidity is how the ATF defines a "firearm", which at the time was the lower receiver. None of the other parts of an AR-15, for example, were regulated to any great degree.

C) There's no reason to be an ass about it. Nobody was throwing insults before you posted. Chill.

I am aware of what goes into a weapon. I have a shotgun sitting not 5 feet from me and have owned several rifles and handguns in the past. My old 9mm I could take apart and put together blindfolded. Please don't assume.

-k
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Oct 21 2011, 08:35 PM) *
B) The incident I was taking about required the toy lower receiver to be cut apart and put back together with a shim to make it wide enough to accept the trigger group and associated bits. The rest of the weapon was from AR-15 parts. It is possible the lower receiver was metal, but the pictures I saw they looked plastic.
It so happens I followed that one - the Wei-E Tech M4s were seized and, to make them accept the trigger group, inside of the zinc alloy lower receiver had to be made a bit wider (but not by sawing and shimming, it was milled out). It might have looked plastic due to the finish, though. Some manufacturers use ungodly amount of paint and WE just so happens to be one of the sloppier ones.

As for the AKs, I just knew the only options. And knowing the downright stupid regulations of airsoft in Canada (for instance, no second-hand sales), I kinda figured out that a whole shipment of them was more likely to contain the cheaper models that would surely sell in the ordered quantity. Plus people would prefer a replica of the Russian AK (that Cyma and Boyi make) to the Chinese Type 56 (made exclusively by RealSword).

That and I'm very touchy on the subject of "toys that can be easily turned into weapons". All the designs come from Japan, where the manufacturers are obligated to make sure this is not possible. Then, Taiwanese and Chinese copy the designs, sometimes putting in minor improvements like seals that withstand higher pressure (Japan uses duster gas in their gas-powered airsoft guns, rest of the world uses propane that has higher pressure) or electronic components that improve trigger action (some companies in the West improved a home-made MOSFET mod used in electric-powered airsoft rifles and are having it installed in the guns they order from China), but structurally, it's not possible to use airsoft guns as base for real ones without major modifications that aren't really worth it.
CanRay
No second-hand sales is the worst you can think of? nyahnyah.gif

The license to import Airsoft into Canada also allows the importer to store Weapons-Grade Nuclear Material. No, I'm not joking.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 21 2011, 10:24 PM) *
The license to import Airsoft into Canada also allows the importer to store Weapons-Grade Nuclear Material. No, I'm not joking.

Well, the "can't do something obvious" clause is worse than "can do something unusual because some idiot wrote the law that way" in my book. Also, it's not that hard to guess that getting a license in the first place requires you to jump a shitload of hoops while smiling at the morons leading you through.
CanRay
Leading? You have people leading you through a Bureaucracy? Lucky!!!
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Oct 21 2011, 03:13 PM) *
That and I'm very touchy on the subject of "toys that can be easily turned into weapons".

Well, here's the problem. They technically can.

But only inasmuch as it's not at all hard to create a structure that is capable of holding the bolt assembly, barrel/chamber, and ammo feed together well enough to launch a bullet. Receivers are not complicated devices. They can be made from nearly anything strong enough to hold those things together. Including BB and airsoft guns that are already kinda shaped like the originals.

Hell, if you just wanted to fire one shot, you could probably hold the mess together with duct tape. It wouldn't survive past the first shot, and I personally wouldn't want to be anywhere near it when it went off, but it would propel at least one bullet, possibly to lethal effect.

That's the stupid part. Instead of defining a firearm as the bits that actually do the job of launching the bullet, they defined it as the structure that holds those bits together. So the part that gets strictly regulated and tracked is that structure instead of the actual dangerous bits.

If "firearm" was defined as the actual parts of the gun that come into contact with the bullet, airsoft guns would have zero problems.

-k
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 21 2011, 10:47 PM) *
Leading? You have people leading you through a Bureaucracy? Lucky!!!

Unless they throw more hoops at you than you can jump through. And they do.
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Oct 21 2011, 11:20 PM) *
Well, here's the problem. They technically can.

But only inasmuch as it's not at all hard to create a structure that is capable of holding the bolt assembly, barrel/chamber, and ammo feed together well enough to launch a bullet. Receivers are not complicated devices. They can be made from nearly anything strong enough to hold those things together. Including BB and airsoft guns that are already kinda shaped like the originals.

I said "easily". If you tried that with an airsoft gun, you would have to cut every obstructing bit out (and there's a shitload of them), then make the part that holds the real cartridge(s), mount the barrel so it doesn't fly off instead of the bullet, and finally make a firing pin. Once you're done with it all, you'll most probably notice that you actually didn't need the airsoft gun in the first place.
Actually, there was only one model that could have been easily converted to fire real bullets. As soon as this came to light, it was withdrawn from production and the manufacturer was fined. And no, I'm not talking about Tanaka and their Cassiopeia system - that one was a case of combined Internet bullshit and media fearmongering.
KarmaInferno
I suppose it depends on your definition of "easily".

I have a lathe, drill press, wirefeed welder, and an entire rack of other power tools. I could probably mill out or weld together a rough receiver out of steel stock in an afternoon or two. It wouldn't be pretty, and probably be way over-done because I don't know the actual strength requirements so I'd err on the conservative side, but it would not take THAT long.

What I could not do would be to produce a barrel and bolt assembly, the actual dangerous bits, because those require an exacting knowledge of metallurgy and ballistics engineering I don't possess to do properly. (unless you LIKE your firearms exploding in your face)

Instead of registering and tracking the manufacture and sale of the barrel and bolt groups, the actual parts of a firearm that launch the bullet and the hardest bits to make correctly, they decided to register and track the one part that never touches the bullet and pretty much anyone halfway decent with shop tools could turn out.

It's idiotic.

I suppose, though, not much more so that the various "assault weapon bans" that mostly ban parts that LOOK dangerous, rather than ARE dangerous. I mean, seriously, a "pistol grip" on a rifle somehow makes it more deadly?

-k
Dakka Dakka
Not to forget .50 BMG is only dangerous if fired in bursts. silly.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Oct 21 2011, 04:02 PM) *
Not to forget .50 BMG is only dangerous if fired in bursts. silly.gif

Whatever... nyahnyah.gif
Daishi
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Oct 20 2011, 10:34 AM) *
This vehicle is weird. It is supposed to be some kind of a dune buggy with a weapon mount. Now here is what is weird:

Judging from the description, art and stats, the Morgan is a minimalist open chassis dune buggy. Its the cheapest car because it lacks certain typical amenities such as doors or a roof. In most jurisdictions, it's probably so cut down that it's not even street legal.

As for the mount, the legality system is quite abstracted, so you shouldn't expect perfect consistency when its viable to break the pattern. Adding a weapon mount to a personal car or a plane is probably going to be for nefarious purposes, so it makes sense to make that after-market modification Forbidden. But if a vehicle is designed from the ground up for a purpose where a weapon mount could be legitimate, the same restrictions shouldn't necessarily apply. Most SR government's wouldn't be very concerned about a weapon mount on a vehicle that's specifically designed for wilderness patrols and probably not even allowed in urban areas or even on the highway.

The fixed weapon mount also bugs me. Flexible would make much more sense given the Morgan's description.
CanRay
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Oct 21 2011, 05:15 PM) *
It's idiotic.

I suppose, though, not much more so that the various "assault weapon bans" that mostly ban parts that LOOK dangerous, rather than ARE dangerous. I mean, seriously, a "pistol grip" on a rifle somehow makes it more deadly?

-k
A Cooling Shroud, a SAFETY DEVICE, is part of that "Assault Weapon Ban", BTW. Go figure. IIRC, the SPAS-12 was banned because of it's look as well, as there's lots of Semi-Automatic Shotguns on the market legally (Some were designed John Browning for $Deity's sake!), and they certainly couldn't have had an issue with it being able to be a Pump-Action as well, could they?
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Daishi @ Oct 22 2011, 02:23 AM) *
Judging from the description, art and stats, the Morgan is a minimalist open chassis dune buggy. Its the cheapest car because it lacks certain typical amenities such as doors or a roof.
You might want to look around for real world "fun" vehicles. They are rarely cheap even though they lack many features found in normal vehicles.
In most jurisdictions, it's probably so cut down that it's not even street legal.
This is purely your assumption. The book does not place any restriction on the vehicle.

The fixed weapon mount also bugs me. Flexible would make much more sense given the Morgan's description.
Exactly.
TheOOB
I'd venture a guess that many of the prices in Shadowrun are the designers basically throwing arbitrary numbers out, so take them with a grain of salt.

I can also defiantly see that a built in mount(for hunting naturall) would be cool while modifying a car to put in a mount wouldn't be.
Daishi
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Oct 21 2011, 10:37 PM) *
You might want to look around for real world "fun" vehicles. They are rarely cheap even though they lack many features found in normal vehicles.

I was actually looking at military light vehicles. They can be quite expensive, but they can also be dirt cheap for small, simple models.

This is purely your assumption. The book does not place any restriction on the vehicle.

Street legality has no mechanic in SR4. Like many things, it's entirely up to the GM how to implement that, if at all. I simply provided a plausible interpretation of the Morgan.
CanRay
MPUVs! Are they street legal?

They're just the bastard child of the Jeep, Kubelwagen, and Hummer after all. nyahnyah.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Method @ Oct 21 2011, 12:47 AM) *

If street legal, me wants.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012