Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rush
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Caadium
I was just looking at Rush (War!, pg. 179), and had a question I did not find an answer for when I searched. If it's already been covered, sorry for the search-fu failure.

Aside from the drain, is there any restriction to how often a character could use the power?

For example, if a character had no other IP booster, could they theoretically risk the 4P drain every round if they wanted to?

Since it does take a Free Action, and has a drain that can be quite risky if over used, I don't see anything in there that would otherwise limit its use.

Opinions?
Aria
Don't see why not, in a game that puts a lot of weight on IPs adepts have needed a cheaper alternative to the ones previously available...
UmaroVI
There is a restriction: it takes a Free Action on your first pass. It also says "at the beginning," so it can be argued to work one of two ways:

1. No, just one use, and it eats your first free action.
2. Yes, but since you only have one free action, you have to start spending simple actions to get more. So if you want +3 IPs, you have to spend your first free action, then two simple actions.
HunterHerne
As I understood, there is no restriction on how many times you can use it, except that you need to make the choice right away, and will only ever add 1 IP to a given round. The drain, however, could be very costly, and gets more dangerous when you have other IP boosters. Personally, I've used it on my NPC's only when I felt I needed the PP for other, non-combat powers, and still wanted a way to have additional IPs for combat. But, as always YMMV
Caadium
QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Oct 22 2011, 05:48 AM) *
There is a restriction: it takes a Free Action on your first pass. It also says "at the beginning," so it can be argued to work one of two ways:

1. No, just one use, and it eats your first free action.
2. Yes, but since you only have one free action, you have to start spending simple actions to get more. So if you want +3 IPs, you have to spend your first free action, then two simple actions.

I think you missed what I was asking. I don't see how it could be used more than once per combat round. If a player of mine tried to do what you suggest in #2 I would tell them that they'd have to face the drain from all 3 uses (4+6+8=16P). So, if they wanted to go out sacrificing themselves like that, perhaps.

What I was actually asking about is if anyone limits how many times in a combat it can be used. For example, can a character use it every combat round, or just once per fight?

I don't know of much that is limited to 1/fight, and the reading really lets me think of it as 1/round. I'm not sure if the costs (Free action, Power Point, and Drain) make it useable, weak, or overpowered really.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Caadium @ Oct 22 2011, 11:34 AM) *
I think you missed what I was asking. I don't see how it could be used more than once per combat round. If a player of mine tried to do what you suggest in #2 I would tell them that they'd have to face the drain from all 3 uses (4+6+8=16P). So, if they wanted to go out sacrificing themselves like that, perhaps.

What I was actually asking about is if anyone limits how many times in a combat it can be used. For example, can a character use it every combat round, or just once per fight?

I don't know of much that is limited to 1/fight, and the reading really lets me think of it as 1/round. I'm not sure if the costs (Free action, Power Point, and Drain) make it useable, weak, or overpowered really.

Well, by the description of the power, you could use it in the first pass of every Combat Turn. Not sure that I would want to do that on a regular basis, though. 4P at a minimum is a bit hefty for a 2nd pass in the Turn (Drain Pools notwithstanding). When it is needed, I can see it being quite useful, but constant use, every Turn, will likely kill you, eventually.
Makki
you need to be a very tough troll or dwarf...
Caadium
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 22 2011, 10:49 AM) *
Well, by the description of the power, you could use it in the first pass of every Combat Turn. Not sure that I would want to do that on a regular basis, though. 4P at a minimum is a bit hefty for a 2nd pass in the Turn (Drain Pools notwithstanding). When it is needed, I can see it being quite useful, but constant use, every Turn, will likely kill you, eventually.

Which is why I'm more inclined to say that it's priced appropriately and fairly well balanced.
Makki
uh. just found something. I need to make a Goblin with this power.
Goblins have 3/8 body, 4/9 will and 2 base IP.
softmaxing these attributes makes 7body+8will=15 drain dice.
the 3rd ini pass through Rush would cause 6P drain resulting in 1P on average. Which is ok, he can regenerate damage from combat wounds.
Caadium
QUOTE (Makki @ Oct 22 2011, 11:02 AM) *
uh. just found something. I need to make a Goblin with this power.
Goblins have 3/8 body, 4/9 will and 2 base IP.
softmaxing these attributes makes 7body+8will=15 drain dice.
the 3rd ini pass through Rush would cause 6P drain resulting in 1P on average. Which is ok, he can regenerate damage from combat wounds.

It may not be RAW, but at my table, damage taken from Drain is not regenerated; similar to damage taken from something a character, NPC or PC, is allergic and vulnerable to.
Makki
QUOTE (Caadium @ Oct 22 2011, 08:13 PM) *
It may not be RAW, but at my table, damage taken from Drain is not regenerated; similar to damage taken from something a character, NPC or PC, is allergic and vulnerable to.

i didn't say he regenerates the drain. he regenerates everything else.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Caadium @ Oct 22 2011, 02:13 PM) *

I agree. Treat drain as magic damage for the purpose of regeneration. Keeps annoying stuff like Vampire Mages somewhat in check, too. Somewhat...
UmaroVI
OK, now I understand your question. Yes, I think you can use it every turn if you don't mind the drain.

As for it's usefulness - if you don't want combat to be your primary thing, I think it's a good investment. 4P drain is really not that terrible, and it's an entire PP cheaper than IR 1. If you already have IR1, though, it's only 1/2 a PP cheaper than IR 2 and you lose the reaction - not worth it. If you have IR 2, it would be worth it, but 8P is not acceptable drain for a 4th IP, especially since you have to commit right when the fight starts.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Oct 22 2011, 11:14 PM) *
As for it's usefulness - if you don't want combat to be your primary thing, I think it's a good investment. 4P drain is really not that terrible, and it's an entire PP cheaper than IR 1. If you already have IR1, though, it's only 1/2 a PP cheaper than IR 2 and you lose the reaction - not worth it. If you have IR 2, it would be worth it, but 8P is not acceptable drain for a 4th IP, especially since you have to commit right when the fight starts.
If you plan on only using it rarely, I'd say invest in Edge instead and use it to get an extra pass.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Oct 23 2011, 03:03 AM) *
If you plan on only using it rarely, I'd say invest in Edge instead and use it to get an extra pass.

While the edge route is quite viable, I like a mix of both. As Edge has many more uses outside of extra passes, and Rush can be used more often if necessary (even if you have to take some damage).
Udoshi
If you plan on making a Habitual Rush User, then you may want to look at taking a Trauma Damper/Platelet factory.

The platelet gives you a good measure of protection if you completely botch the drain roll, and the trauma can shift one to stun, which is a lot easier to recover from than more physical.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012