Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun 4 Errata Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Major Doom
On Shadowrun's website, under Game Resources, there is a Fourth Edition Errata. Does that apply to SR4A? Or is it SR4A Errata?

Also, is there a latest printing out for SR4A? What printing is it?

Thanks in advance.
Caadium
I warn you now, asking about the errata is a sure fire way to open a can of nuclear worms around here.

You'll get the "point of an errata vs point of a FAQ" type of arguments. You'll get the "It is valid because ..." arguments as well as the "It isn't valid because ..." arguments.

Unfortunately I can't tell you the current version number. I would suggest asking specific questions if you are looking for an answer though. I know that invoking the errata is something that can upset people quickly though.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Caadium @ Oct 27 2011, 03:17 PM) *
I warn you now, asking about the errata is a sure fire way to open a can of nuclear worms around here.

Basically, Major, the answer to your question is, simply, Both.

See, the SR4 faq was written over four years ago and posted to the main website. And it lingered there for quite a while.

Then along came anniversary edition, our new shiny savior of updated rules. And nobody changed the faq.

Then about a year ago, someone got the bright idea to answer some MORE faqs, and actually do some good customer service, and post it on the website for everyone to see. The thing is they didn't datestamp the new questions, or remove outdated answers to questions in which the rules had changed between editions. (mystic adept power splitting is a PERFECT example of this).

So the answer is both. A majority of the rules and clarifications are actually for 4th edition, but are still relevant because the rules haven't changed, or they handle general 'how does blank work' situations.
And then wormed in between the cracks are a handful of legacy/grandfathered in rulings which directly contradict the (new) main rulebook.
I also noticed that there was a bit of a stealth edit at one point, possibly during the update:

Q)Can complex forms be crashed, just like any other program?
A)No. Complex Forms cannot be targeted by effects that only affect programs (p.239, SR4A). This is a change from what is presented on p.136 of Unwired.

^ the faq originally supported the unwired ruling.

If you have a question about a SPECIFIC faq, then we can probably help you out a bit more directly.

By the by, I'm fairly sure I saved a copy of the original FAQ, if anyone wants to compare and contrast to the current one, and which were added.
Dakka Dakka
The OP never said anything about FAQ. The Errata V 1.8 are the most recent version of SR4 so before the Anniversary Edition. Any Version of SR4A is newer and incorporates those changes plus the stuff from the Changes document plus some other things that were left out in that document. No Errata for SR4A are available separately. Your best bet is a pdf copy of SR4A which you can update when and if the authors change something.

P.S. The mystic adept FAQ was even wrong under SR4.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Oct 27 2011, 06:44 PM) *
The OP never said anything about FAQ. The Errata V 1.8 are the most recent version of SR4 so before the Anniversary Edition. Any Version of SR4A is newer and incorporates those changes plus the stuff from the Changes document plus some other things that were left out in that document. No Errata for SR4A are available separately. Your best bet is a pdf copy of SR4A which you can update when and if the authors change something.

P.S. The mystic adept FAQ was even wrong under SR4.

Herpity derpity derp, the nuclear can of worms was launched pre-emptively.

But yeah, the 'we only print errata, not release it' thing is basically why I don't buy catalyst products anymore.
Fuck no I'm not buying RC again just to get the improvements adam slipped in before he left.

For what its worth, my meatbook copy is more up to date than my pdf of 4a - as it turns out, bows were changed not once but twice, and one or two other things. So there's actually two versions of 4a frown.gif
Major Doom
Awesome, so there's no official errata for SR4A, and what's published on Shadowrun website is just a hodgepodge of undated drivel. Got it.

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Oct 27 2011, 08:55 PM) *
For what its worth, my meatbook copy is more up to date than my pdf of 4a - as it turns out, bows were changed not once but twice, and one or two other things. So there's actually two versions of 4a frown.gif

So is there a printing number or secret code that requires a decoder ring for SR4A, to differentiate them?
CeeJay
QUOTE (Major Doom @ Oct 28 2011, 02:39 PM) *
So is there a printing number or secret code that requires a decoder ring for SR4A, to differentiate them?

As long as everyone in your gaming group uses the same printing of SR4A and the source books, that shouldn't really matter, should it?

-CJ
Bigity
Are you serious?
KarmaInferno
Yeah, I was going to say, unless you all managed to get into Shadowrun at the same time, the chances are for a given group of gamers to ALL have the same printing of the rulebooks is vanishingly small.

-k
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Oct 29 2011, 07:42 AM) *
Yeah, I was going to say, unless you all managed to get into Shadowrun at the same time, the chances are for a given group of gamers to ALL have the same printing of the rulebooks is vanishingly small.

Actually, give the size of most print runs and how long some of them stick around, they're probably not that bad. I might be wrong, as I'm not a statistician and haven't run any numbers, but I don't know that I'd use "vanishingly" here.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Bigity @ Oct 28 2011, 08:02 PM) *
Are you serious?

Ayup. Stupid, innit?

4a PDF
The weapon’s minimum Strength rating is also used to determine the weapon’s range and damage. Material science limits high-tech bows to a maximum Strength rating of 12. The maximum Damage Value an arrow fired from the bow can inflict is equal to the bow’s rating x1.5.

4a meatbook
The weapon’s minimum Strength rating is also used to determine the weapon’s range and damage. Material science limits high-tech bows to a maximum Strength rating of 8. Calculate base damange using the lower value of the bow rating or the arrow rating

changes document
The Strength rating on bows has been capped at 8. Arrow cost has been raised to [Rating x 5]. The base damage value done by an arrow is the lower of the arrow’s or bow’s rating.

4th:
The
weapon’s minimum Strength rating is also used to determine the weapon’s range and damage

I can understand nerfing trollbows, but arrow ratings are just kinda dumb.

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Oct 29 2011, 06:42 AM) *

If anyone has an extra second printing of street magic, I'd be willing to take it off your hands. I do want to get a copy of all the main books eventaully, but there is no way I'm buying the same book twice, or a shitty unerrata'd copy.
Kesendeja
Why won't they release errata?
CanRay
QUOTE (Kesendeja @ Oct 29 2011, 06:31 PM) *
Why won't they release errata?
We're waiting on that answer as well.

I've suggested that we go on a Intel-Gathering Shadowrun, but every time we try and organize the distances of everyone gets in the way.

Stupid US getting all persnickety on foreigners coming for immoral acts... nyahnyah.gif
Udoshi
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 29 2011, 05:40 PM) *
We're waiting on that answer as well.

I've suggested that we go on a Intel-Gathering Shadowrun, but every time we try and organize the distances of everyone gets in the way.

Has anyone tried asking around on the pegasus forums? They actaully have all the unreleased errata files sitting around somewhere. Worked into the german books even, and I recall someone saying they send all their rules-alterations/enhancements to catalyst for approval. Which means those are sitting around the cgl office somewhere.

So yeah. Has anyone actually tried going over there and asking if they have the english files around somewhere?
Patrick Goodman
At one point, I know Jason was willing to pay someone in Battleshop credit to work on the errata, but response was tepid at best. You might contact him via PM if you're interested in this.

As it is, I know that I've worked up errata for my chunk of Running Wild, and I'm considering the madman's position of working on the rest of it. I'm not too proud. smile.gif The rest of it is up to someone else, though. I've got enough in the fire as it is.
Udoshi
I did talk to him once, actually! I sent him a list of all the 'unofficial errata' links that developers had come on here to share, from Synner's correction about drug Speed and power to the karmagen corrections.

Thanks for your comments. I took some steps recently that should help us at least get some Augmentation corrections out there. Then I'll be working on making others follow.
Keep playing and having fun!
Jason H.

This was back in january. What happened frown.gif

I think the major issue isn't that there's a lack of errata written, but that both Augmentation and RC were -already done- and catalyst is -intentionally sitting on it-.
As far as I know from people mentioning it when it comes up, Augmentation Errata v1.3.1 is out there -somewhere-, and the players aren't allowed to have it, and made worse because it was printed in 2007, and hasn't been fixed in four years.
Bigity
They're too busy writing more magic stuff and trying to remove IEs and such from the game? wink.gif
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Oct 29 2011, 08:03 PM) *
I think the major issue isn't that there's a lack of errata written, but that both Augmentation and RC were -already done- and catalyst is -intentionally sitting on it-.
As far as I know from people mentioning it when it comes up, Augmentation Errata v1.3.1 is out there -somewhere-, and the players aren't allowed to have it, and made worse because it was printed in 2007, and hasn't been fixed in four years.

Never attribute to maliciousness what can be attributed to simple laziness.

I'm sure Jason tells himself he'll get the errata out "when he gets around to it."

The problem is, if you're not really all that excited about a particular job, it's REAL easy to keep coming up with other stuff that "needs to be done first" and continue to push off that job indefinately.

As my dad tells me often enough, you don't get time, you make time.

-k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012