Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sensor question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Crazy Ivan
I know that one of the ideal layouts for a rigger all but requires them to get to a Rating 6 on their drones. But I can't find a combination of sensors that follows the rules to create said rating. So could one of the ever-so generous and wise builders show me (in terms of both cost and specifics) what sensors are needed to raise the drones Sensor rating to 6?

Thanks.
KarmaInferno
Um. Average of all sensor ratings for sensors that HAVE ratings, rounded up.

So a vehicle with 2 Rating 6 cameras, a Rating 6 microphone, a Rating 4 UWB Radar, and a no-rating Barometric sensor averages 5.5, rounded up to 6.

Really, just put as high a rating of whatever sensors you think you will need. As long as they average above 5, you have a 6 Sensor Rating.

-k
Yerameyahu
Which is, as always, kind of ridiculous. frown.gif I find it's much better to use the rating of the *relevant* sensor(s) for the given test.
KarmaInferno
That's part of the rules too. The overall vehicle Sensor Rating is just for those situations where the GM either doesn't want to bother or doesn't know what specific sensor to use. Or of course when the relevant specific sensor has no rating.

Which is the other reason to get the highest individual sensor ratings you can. They're cheap enough that there's no reason not to.

-k
Neraph
IIRC there was also something about adjusting the sensor rating depending on the sensors in question.

Example:
R6 Camera = R6 sensor.
R3 Camera with Thermographic, Low Light, and Image Magnification ≠ R3 sensor. Maybe R4 or R5, dependant on the GM.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Neraph @ Oct 30 2011, 10:42 AM) *
IIRC there was also something about adjusting the sensor rating depending on the sensors in question.

I don't think that is the case. Its just the average of rated sensors. Can you provide a quote to back that up, because if so, that is really useful.
Yerameyahu
A *good* set of sensor rules might do something like that. But we're probably talking about RAW. smile.gif It'd be slightly tricky, because thermo, magnification, etc. wouldn't necessarily add the same amount in all situations. I think they do fine as (currently) penalty-negaters.
Zaranthan
SR4A, page 334: you use the sensors relevant to what you're doing. A rating 6 camera doesn't make your rating 4 laser microphone work better.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Zaranthan @ Oct 31 2011, 07:31 AM) *
SR4A, page 334: you use the sensors relevant to what you're doing. A rating 6 camera doesn't make your rating 4 laser microphone work better.

This is correct. Per Arsenal's rules for changing sensor loadouts(and the clarifications in the errata), however, your rating 6 camera does make your Motion Sensor better. (protip: because its unrated)
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Nov 1 2011, 02:44 PM) *
This is correct. Per Arsenal's rules for changing sensor loadouts(and the clarifications in the errata), however, your rating 6 camera does make your Motion Sensor better. (protip: because its unrated)

Only if you default to the Basic Sensor Rating. On the other hand, if you are using only the Motion Sensor, then the Camera has no say in the Motion Sensor's Rating (which is likely 3 or 4, depending upon whether you believe it is a Device Rating 3 (Standard) or 4 (Security) Device). In the end, it does not really matter, though.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 1 2011, 03:12 PM) *
Only if you default to the Basic Sensor Rating. On the other hand, if you are using only the Motion Sensor, then the Camera has no say in the Motion Sensor's Rating (which is likely 3 or 4, depending upon whether you believe it is a Device Rating 3 (Standard) or 4 (Security) Device). In the end, it does not really matter, though.

Oh man. This is hilarious. The thread is arguing in circles. Because some sensors don't have numbers attached to them. Srsly.

I am going to go ahead and use capitals for a very important word, because I don't think anyone else in here really gets the very, very important distinction between RATED and UNRATED sensors.

Tymeaus, your provided and quoted example entirely falls apart when you ask a simple question, and also serves to perfectly highlight the discussion in this thread.. "What is the rating on a motion sensor, so I can roll sensor+perception."
Oops.
Motion sensors do NOT HAVE RATINGS!
A bunch of sensors also DO NOT HAVE ratings!
This is the ENTIRE REASON the arsenal rule for recalculating sensor and improving UNRATED sensors exists.
Yes, the camera DOES affect the motion sensor's rating, because it affects basic Sensor Rating, which UNRATED sensors MUST use, because they DON'T HAVE their own.
Yes, really.

QUOTE (arsenal errata/2nd printing)
Sensors that do not possess ratings are treated as if they had a rating equal to the vehicle’s default Sensor rating.
If a character improves the ratings of all of the individual components in a sensor package, the overall Sensor rating of the vehicle should also be improved accordingly. For the purpose of improvement, sensors that do not have a rating are considered to be automatically upgraded, when all the remaining sensors in a package are improved to a higher rating.”

This misunderstanding is also entirely compounded by Edition Wars, because cameras BECAME rated in Anniversary edition, when they weren't before.(this also means the master table of sensors in the back of arsenal is no longer accurate) Depending on the edition of rules you're using, your car's camera may very well be improved by putting a radar on it.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Nov 1 2011, 04:50 PM) *
Oh man. This is hilarious. The thread is arguing in circles. Because some sensors don't have numbers attached to them. Srsly.

I am going to go ahead and use capitals for a very important word, because I don't think anyone else in here really gets the very, very important distinction between RATED and UNRATED sensors.

Tymeaus, your provided and quoted example entirely falls apart when you ask a simple question, and also serves to perfectly highlight the discussion in this thread.. "What is the rating on a motion sensor, so I can roll sensor+perception."
Oops.
Motion sensors do NOT HAVE RATINGS!
A bunch of sensors also DO NOT HAVE ratings!
This is the ENTIRE REASON the arsenal rule for recalculating sensor and improving UNRATED sensors exists.
Yes, the camera DOES affect the motion sensor's rating, because it affects basic Sensor Rating, which UNRATED sensors MUST use, because they DON'T HAVE their own.
Yes, really.

This misunderstanding is also entirely compounded by Edition Wars, because cameras BECAME rated in Anniversary edition, when they weren't before.(this also means the master table of sensors in the back of arsenal is no longer accurate) Depending on the edition of rules you're using, your car's camera may very well be improved by putting a radar on it.

Makes Sense... Heh... Edition Wars Indeed...
No Worries...
smile.gif

AS for my Proviced Example. I would rate the Unrated Sensors dependant upon how I wanted to represent them. Really is not that hard. That is what you have a device rating table for. Most sensors would be a 3-5 Rating. Simple and elegant without having to delve into a lot of books. Not that I mind that, honestly, but not every one does.

Interestingly enough, if you read your own quote, you must improve ALL the sensors in a package for the rating to upgrade. This INCLUDES unrated sensors by definition. Just thought that I would point that out.
Warlordtheft
IMHO, the best policy is to go with the best usable sensor. I find the averaging of ratings kind of pointless since it penalizes a device for having more sensors. A rating 6 camera, is 6 dice, a rating 6 camera with ultrawide band radar of 4 causes the player to lose a dice. To me that is a logic-failure.
Udoshi
oh come on. There are ways around it, if you bother to read what's been posted. For your information:

QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Nov 2 2011, 12:32 PM) *
IMHO, the best policy is to go with the best usable sensor. I find the averaging of ratings kind of pointless since it penalizes a device for having more sensors. A rating 6 camera, is 6 dice, a rating 6 camera with ultrawide band radar of 4 causes the player to lose a dice. To me that is a logic-failure.

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Oct 30 2011, 08:55 AM) *
Um. Average of all sensor ratings for sensors that HAVE ratings, rounded up.
So a vehicle with 2 Rating 6 cameras, a Rating 6 microphone, a Rating 4 UWB Radar, and a no-rating Barometric sensor averages 5.5, rounded up to 6.
Really, just put as high a rating of whatever sensors you think you will need. As long as they average above 5, you have a 6 Sensor Rating.

Yerameyahu
The 'rating' of unrated sensors should not be dependent on other sensors, though. That's just stupid, as much as the kind of this Warlordtheft just mentioned. Either give them a rating of their own, or don't roll their rating for the test. Done.

Having 'ways around it' is not a good thing. It's the fact that the problem exists at all that's the point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012