Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Random question on mechanics
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Juca Bala
Hi, when you attempts to repair or upgrade a drone, you should use the "Mechanic" active technical skill, right? But what mechanic? Ground, aerial? I need one skill for each type of drone? This seems excessive, maybe a "Mechanic: Drones" skill should exists?
Any thoughts on this?
Tanegar
Depends on the drone's mode of locomotion. Alternatively, go for Industrial Mechanic as the catchall small-machine repair and maintenance skill.
Daylen
I've oft lamented the implicit specialization demanded by active skills in SR. On the other hand rifles and shotguns and assault rifles are considered separate skills. I assume this is to enforce differentiation of characters though it leads to oddities as you have run into where one will have a hard time fixing one drone over another because of the propulsion methods not the complexity of the drone.
Brazilian_Shinobi
I agree with Tanegar, "portuguese Fast Jack". Go with the locomotion system of the drone.
Yerameyahu
Maybe, Daylen, but it seems pretty clear in this case. If the drone as a whole is damaged, you'd better be an Aero Mechanic to fix it if it flies. For more specific applications, like modding, I believe Arsenal specifies the appropriate skill instead.
Juca Bala
Thanks for all the anwser, guys, and, Yerameyahu, in Arsenal its writen only "Mechanics", this is the source of the initial confusion... I think I will go with a new Mechanic Active Skill for all kinds of drone... this way, if someone skilled in Mechanic - Ground vehicles wants to repair a crawler drone, no sweat, but he will have trouble repairing an aerial one, while someone with Mechanic - Drones, can repair any kind of drone, but no other kind of vehicle.
Dakka Dakka
Or you could take the Mechanics group. Then you can repair all vehicles manned and unmanned and all machinery.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Nov 2 2011, 12:27 PM) *
Or you could take the Mechanics group. Then you can repair all vehicles manned and unmanned and all machinery.

Well, That is just Crazy... smile.gif
Yerameyahu
Weird, Juca Bala, sorry. smile.gif Could've sworn Arsenal listed the kind of Mechanics.
Dakka Dakka
It lists what kind of other skill might be needed, like Artisan for example. The type of mechanics depends on the vehicle being repaired/modified.
Yerameyahu
Which is simple and true; I just thought they were explicit. It's easy to imagine mods that don't necessarily require a skill based on the drive category.
Mardrax
QUOTE (Juca Bala @ Nov 2 2011, 12:50 AM) *
while someone with Mechanic - Drones, can repair any kind of drone, but no other kind of vehicle.

Drones are Vehicles. Grouping all those up would just mean giving tinkerers a discount of 6 BP per skill rating over just picking the group.
You want to be Mr FixIt? Take the skill group like Dakka Dakka suggested.
Yerameyahu
I wouldn't allow 'Drone Mechanic' anyway; it doesn't make sense with regard to the existing Mechanic skills. It's fine as a spec.
Ol' Scratch
There's nothing stopping you from introducing a new skill. Just ask your GM if "Drone Mechanics" would be okay, with specializations based on their general category. I can't imagine anyone really having a problem with that.

(Oh how I miss the old defaulting rules...)
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Nov 2 2011, 05:54 PM) *
There's nothing stopping you from introducing a new skill. Just ask your GM if "Drone Mechanics" would be okay, with specializations based on their general category. I can't imagine anyone really having a problem with that.

(Oh how I miss the old defaulting rules...)

I would not allow it.
There are already perfectly good skills for that. New skills are for instances that are not already covered by existing skills.

Here is the relevant Quote:

QUOTE (SR4A, Special Active Skills, Page 128)
Should a gamemaster deem that a new skill is called for and presently unaccounted for by the system, he can allow it in his game. This should be done rarely, however.
Yerameyahu
It makes as much sense as introducing a new Firearms skill to the existing set.
Ol' Scratch
It's no worse than that fucking stupid Automatics skill.
Yerameyahu
Which is why you'd fix the existing skills, not *add* one to them. smile.gif Currently, they don't overlap. It would be very odd to add a new, overlapping one. Which is what Drone Mechanic would be.
Ol' Scratch
I wasn't commenting on that. I was commenting on the "there are already perfectly good skills" bit. Automatics demonstrates that there's a place for a skill like Drone Mechanics, doubly so since it's a minor, secondary skill set with no direct combat application. There are also skills with overlapping applications; Con and Disguise, First Aid and Medicine, and Dodge and Gymnastics for instance.
Yerameyahu
And those are each problems to be fixed, not examples to emulate. (Triply so for freaking Gymnastics.)

Automatics doesn't demonstrate anything about Drone Mechanic, except maybe that broad skills like that are bad. People dislike Automatics because it covers too many distinct categories, so Drone Mechanic would just as problematically make you able to work on airplanes, walkers, crawlers, etc.
Ol' Scratch
Actually, the assumption is that drones are built-as-drones as opposed to converted vehicles, and that they are all relatively similar save for their specific mode of locomotion. But all of the important stuff (sensors, remote control systems, etc.) are all very similar if now downright identical. Being able to build and repair them wouldn't mean you could work on the full size vehicles anymore than my ability to build and repair an RC airplane (which I can and have) means that I can build and repair a Boeing 777 (which I definitely cannot). In this case it's very much like Automatics vs. Long Arms/Pistols/etc.

And I'm not saying the skill system is fine as is. But this isn't a discussion about fixing the skill system. It's about adapting to what's there and, as per this subtopic, asking the GM if it would be okay to add a skill similar to other ones available in the game.
Yerameyahu
How can they be relatively similar? Drones run the gamut from spider crawlers to scramjet missiles. You can't just 'except' the largest difference.

Sensors and RC are the same for all vehicles. You're describing 'Hardware' or something.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Nov 3 2011, 12:23 PM) *
How can they be relatively similar? Drones run the gamut from spider crawlers to scramjet missiles. You can't just 'except' the largest difference.
Look at the various engine mods. If you apply it to a gasoline engine, this would probably work similarly whether the motor powers an air propeller, a water propeller or an axle with wheels.

On the other hand adding smart tires to a dobermann shouldn't be much different from adding them to a Tata Hotspur.

Oh and don't forget the possible munchkin exploit of Drone Mechanics: Just add Rigger Adaptation, which should be an application of the skill, and any vehicle becomes a drone.
Yerameyahu
That's kind of my point, Dakka Dakka: the skill used should be specific to the *mod*. (And I'll bet you the Heimdall doesn't use a gasoline engine, heh.)

On the other hand, repairing a damaged helo drone might be wholly different from repairing a crawler, so Drone Mechanic wouldn't be fair there either.

I think it's assumed that only Drones (listed category in the books) are drones for the proposed skill, though I'm saying even the canonical examples are too diverse. smile.gif
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Nov 3 2011, 05:42 AM) *
Oh and don't forget the possible munchkin exploit of Drone Mechanics: Just add Rigger Adaptation, which should be an application of the skill, and any vehicle becomes a drone.

First line of my last post:

QUOTE (Ol` Scratch)
Actually, the assumption is that drones are built-as-drones as opposed to converted vehicles, and that they are all relatively similar save for their specific mode of locomotion.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Nov 3 2011, 05:23 AM) *
How can they be relatively similar?

Exactly the same way an Ares Crusader and an Ares Alpha are relatively similar.
Yerameyahu
Nope. If one fired tank shells and the other fired EMP bursts, that'd be about the similarity between a Kanmushi and a Dalmatian. Besides, you're assuming the Armorer skill is correct—who knows. smile.gif

Obviously, anyone can do what they want in their game. I'm only saying that 'Drones' is a huge category that includes literally every other kind of Mechanic already in the game. That's weird. It's as if you took a new firearms skill that covered anything with SA mode (from holdouts to missile launchers).
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Nov 3 2011, 11:11 AM) *
Nope. If one fired tank shells and the other fired EMP bursts, that'd be about the similarity between a Kanmushi and a Dalmatian. Besides, you're assuming the Armorer skill is correct—who knows. smile.gif

I wasn't talking about the Armorer skill.

Obviously, anyone can do what they want in their game. I'm only saying that 'Drones' is a huge category that includes literally every other kind of Mechanic already in the game. That's weird. It's as if you took a new firearms skill that covered anything with SA mode (from holdouts to missile launchers).

No, it's pretty much identical to Automatics. Which is what I was talking about.
Yerameyahu
frown.gif I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, because it's even worse with the Automatics interpretation (Armorer was at least halfway sensible). We already addressed the idea that Automatics is both wrong and a bad choice to *emulate*. … And, it's still extra wrong, because all Automatics are much more similar as a group than all Drones.
ZeroPoint
And the fact that there are automatic weapons (built with automatic firing modes, not just modified that way) that don't use the automatics skill.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Nov 2 2011, 10:38 PM) *
And I'm not saying the skill system is fine as is. But this isn't a discussion about fixing the skill system. It's about adapting to what's there and, as per this subtopic, asking the GM if it would be okay to add a skill similar to other ones available in the game.
Yerameyahu
And, again, as I said, it's not okay to add a messy skill to the *unfixed* skill system. It's *not* very similar to existing ones, and the ones that are kind of close are *bad* skills that shouldn't be encouraged or emulated.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Nov 3 2011, 01:43 PM) *
It's *not* very similar to existing ones

Again, skills like Automatics, Gymnastics, and Artisan say 'hello.'
Yerameyahu
For the third time, I specifically mentioned those. It's not very similar to Automatics (to choose one at random), and Automatics is bad anyway. It's in the end of the exact sentence you quoted, except you forgot to read that far.
Ol' Scratch
You can say it all you like, that doesn't mean you're correct. Artisan, in particular, is a shining example of a skill that covers a broad concept of only vaguely related abilities. It covers sculpture, carpentry, musical instruments, composition, painting, and tons of other things.
Yerameyahu
Ditto. But don't act like I hadn't specifically addressed it by misquoting me.

And that's exactly why it's a bad example. If there were 5 different [X] Artisan skills, and one that cut across them, *that* would be similar. The fact that there are distinct, non-overlapping Mechanic skills tells us that they're too different. If anything, you're arguing that there should be just one Mechanics, but certainly not that there should be a Drone Mechanics.
Ol' Scratch
You're assuming that the suggested skill didn't usurp these subskills from the other Mechanics skills. Drone Mechanics is meant to address drone mechanics. If you want to be able to work on vehicles, you need the specific Mechanics skills for those. If you want to work on converting a regular vehicle into a drone, you need those specific Mechanics skills to do so. If you want to build or repair an actual drone, you need Drone Mechanics. It's exactly the same as other skills in the game.

Just like Automatics are somehow different from Pistols and Long Arms. Just like how Hacking is somehow different from Software. Just like how Cybercombat is somehow different from Hacking. etc.

And no, all it tells us is that the game designers smoke crack cocaine.
Yerameyahu
I did assume that. You've been suggesting that Drone Mechanics is the only possible skill for any work on Drones, and the rest are just for other vehicles? That's a whole different point.

I can accept that slightly more, though the central problem is still that a Kanmushi and a Heimdall are too different. As I said, that's why it's not very similar to Automatics: they're closer together than a micro spider is to a cruise missile. If Drone Mechanics is possible, then Vehicle Mechanics should exist, and the specific [X] Mechanics should not exist. Ideally, this might be the case, but it's not stable to be halfway between. Even then, you have to justify having separate skills for drones that are extremely similar to non-drone vehicles.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012