Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Halloween GMing adventure
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JonathanC
I've tried to clean up the formatting to make this more readable. I'd love some comments from the more seasoned GMs here; I've been running Shadowrun in some capacity since about 2001 or so, but I wouldn't consider myself an expert. This is the story of how a halloween party lead to me getting roped into running On the Run for a group with a pretty wide range of experience, from total tabletop newbies to a guy who used to play with a some SR writers.

Mechanically, this was a mess. Some of the players were using old sheets they'd made for my previous game, so we retconned this in as a run that had happened prior to that game; this turned out perfectly, since that game started out with the players in prison, and this game wound up explaining how that happened perfectly

The mechanical mess occurred because the other players had to run with the sample characters from the Food Fight handout that was released a few years back for Free RPG Day. Among the many things not listed on these mini-sheets are Edge and Lifestyle. Likewise, the Hacker has Hacking and Hardware but no Computer skill. We didn't get bogged down in the rules though, because we were having too much fun.

I ran them through On The Run, and had we started the game on-time (we were supposed to all meet at 3pm) we might have gotten through the whole thing. Instead, some late arrivals and me having to duck out to pick up the pizza resulted in a late start, and we only got as far as grabbing Nabo's Commlink. But it was the road that got us there that was the important part.
[ Spoiler ]

Everyone agreed it was a damn good time.
DMiller
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Nov 3 2011, 05:46 AM) *
Everyone agreed it was a damn good time.

You did everything perfectly.

Mistakes will always happen, the biggest key is don't let them bring down the game.

2-thumbs up.

-D
JonathanC
The only thing I was unsure about was whether HMHVV III can be passed along by getting blood/saliva on your hands. It's listed as "contact" rather than "injury", so presumably that means it doesn't need to come in contact with the victim's blood, right? And -6 penetration suggests that it eats through protective gear.

We all left that game WAAAAY more terrified of Ghouls.
Patrick Goodman
We've got Unofficial Errata for some of that. Basically, no, ghoul spit/blood on your hands isn't going to give you HMHVV-III. That said, though...fear and respect for the disease is never a bad thing. Never, never, never.

Oh, and I agree with DMiller: If everyone had a good time, then you did everything right.
JonathanC
I was working with the stats from Runner's Companion. Odd that HMHVV III is defined in so many books, eh?
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Nov 3 2011, 11:50 AM) *
I was working with the stats from Runner's Companion. Odd that HMHVV III is defined in so many books, eh?

Well if you go by those rules, most people figure that the Ghoul-ocalypse would have happened already. The unofficial errata makes it much more sane, yet still dangerous.
JonathanC
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Nov 3 2011, 10:07 AM) *
Well if you go by those rules, most people figure that the Ghoul-ocalypse would have happened already. The unofficial errata makes it much more sane, yet still dangerous.

I just figured the authorities used flamethrowers, or fired on the ghouls from a distance. I mean, what are the chances of a ghoul accidentally bleeding or drooling on you in a situation where he wasn't just as likely to bite you?
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Nov 3 2011, 01:15 PM) *
I just figured the authorities used flamethrowers, or fired on the ghouls from a distance. I mean, what are the chances of a ghoul accidentally bleeding or drooling on you in a situation where he wasn't just as likely to bite you?

Worse than that, actually. Contact as described is any type of physical contact, even skin-to-skin. Shaking hands with a ghoul would likely infect you. It gets ridiculous rather fast. Look it up, theres a very long winded thread on why the zombie apocalypse would have happened if you use those rules wobble.gif
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Nov 3 2011, 09:50 AM) *

Well, the stats were the same since I cut and pasted them from RC, so that part of the errata applies to RC as well. smile.gif

I cut and pasted it because I was asked to do so by my developer, to have all things Infected in one place.
Neraph
The only issue I see is that no-one without a lot of ranks in Perception would see a devil rat. Agi 5, Infiltrate 4, and -3 to spot it because of Concealment?
Patrick Goodman
Unless the evil little fraggers want you to see them...like when they want you scared. Or to see the swarm as they get ready to eat you....
JonathanC
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Nov 5 2011, 11:18 AM) *
Unless the evil little fraggers want you to see them...like when they want you scared. Or to see the swarm as they get ready to eat you....

LOL, in the campaign I ran before where the group was in jail, during the escape they swam through a river that was filled with devil rats....all they could do was feel the rats moving past them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012