Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When Real Life News Imitates the CLUE Files...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
stevebugge
SO this brilliant bit of news came in with a market area report from one of the shipping lines I work with. Absolute real life situation but I share not so much for that interest but more because it could have been pulled straight out of the CLUE Files or even out of many of our gaming histories.

East African News

Tanzania
More than 20 Congolese soldiers have been detained in Tanzania for illegally entering the north-west of the country. They said they were pursuing rebels from the Democratic Republic of Congo seeking medical treatment in Tanzania. The heavily armed men were arrested after docking next to a police vessel at Kigoma port on Lake Tanganyika. The soldiers, who are still being questioned, were carrying 17 sub-machine guns, rocket-propelled grenades, pistols, hand grenades and three surface-to-air missiles used for shooting down planes.

I bolded the part where the GM would facepalm, other than that it is as it arrived in my inbox
Tech_Rat
Decker: "Alright. I got us a dock. Let's go."
Rigger: "Ya know, that boat up there looks a little off..."
Sam: "Screw it. It's not important. Them injured folks, we need them dead."
Rigger, after pulling up: "Drek. Lone Star."
Sam, Decker, Mage, Face, and other guy that you use as a decoy: "WHAT?!?"
Wounded Ronin
That is not really on the level of CLUE files. CLUE files would be the soldiers blow up the police boat with a RPG and end up blasting ther way back out of the country, causing an international incident and starting an escalating war that ends up consuming all of Africa.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Nov 9 2011, 12:28 PM) *
That is not really on the level of CLUE files. CLUE files would be the soldiers blow up the police boat with a RPG and end up blasting ther way back out of the country, causing an international incident and starting an escalating war that ends up consuming all of Africa.

Point Taken
CanRay
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Nov 9 2011, 04:28 PM) *
Give it time.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Nov 9 2011, 04:28 PM) *

Wait... there are places in Africa not embroiled in wars?
Fix-it
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Nov 11 2011, 11:22 AM) *

Yes. the parts where people are too poor to afford crates of surplus Kalashnikovs, and too malnourished to use Machetes.

srsly though. the only thing these guys are guilty of is not paying a large enough bribe.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Fix-it @ Nov 11 2011, 09:41 AM) *
Yes. the parts where people are too poor to afford crates of surplus Kalashnikovs, and too malnourished to use Machetes.

srsly though. the only thing these guys are guilty of is not paying a large enough bribe.

And that's why it reminded me of Shadowrun
CanRay
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Nov 11 2011, 01:22 PM) *
South Africa is apparently very nice, if crime ridden.

But, hell, I hear the same thing about LA and Toronto, so...
Christian Lafay
But you can live like a king in South Africa if you own enough Levis.
pbangarth
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 11 2011, 12:51 PM) *
South Africa is apparently very nice, if crime ridden.

But, hell, I hear the same thing about LA and Toronto, so...

Hmmmm... the guy from Winnipeg is calling Toronto crime ridden?
CanRay
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Nov 11 2011, 11:42 PM) *
The guy originally from Northern Ontario is taking a shot at Toronto at any chance he can get. nyahnyah.gif
HunterHerne
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 12 2011, 01:31 AM) *
The guy originally from Northern Ontario is taking a shot at Toronto at any chance he can get. nyahnyah.gif

We all do, from all across the country.

Besides, it's not so much commenting on the crime, as it is commenting about what people say about the place. Since no one talks about Winnipeg, it doesn't get to chime in.
kzt
A real clue files case is this wonderful heartwarming story from Washington DC. It's got everything from SR, including the corrupt cop in uniform as lookout.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...1002776_pf.html
Faraday
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Nov 12 2011, 01:46 PM) *
We all do, from all across the country.

It's true. Hell, there's a song about it.
CanRay
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Nov 11 2011, 11:42 PM) *
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Nov 12 2011, 05:46 PM) *
Besides, it's not so much commenting on the crime, as it is commenting about what people say about the place. Since no one talks about Winnipeg, it doesn't get to chime in.
Also, very few people say "Winnipeg is very nice", as, well... Frankly... I still think the First Nations people are laughing their hoops off about the stupid people from over the ocean that decided to settle and live here year-round.

They just visited in the few weeks that were nice to do some trading. nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012