Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paul's Real Life Game Journal: Game 4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Paul
I meant to post this two weeks ago, sorry for the delay. So Game 4 was a total fly by the seat of my pants pick up game. I barely did any prep work but all in all it went well. first the behind the curtains stuff:

Synopsis: A Vory safe house has been hit by what looks like a ring of dirty cops. Griggs wants the PCs to send them a message. There are four officers the Vory has targeted for a very public execution, and two for blackmail and they want the PC’s to do it.

Situation: Lt. Robert Whitfield and his team of Knight Errant Drug Enforcement agents are on the take. They’ve been skimming money from drug busts here and there, as well as extorting money from dealers and street gangs. Two weeks ago they hit a Vory safe house ripping the Russian’s off to the tune of 4 million in hard currency and certified credsticks, and bearer bonds.

His team has stashed the money in an old Lone Star evidence locker, that’s inside a precinct house that’s being transitioned and remodeled for Knight Errant usage. Because it’s staffed with a skeleton crew Whitfield’s team has a pretty free run of the place. While not the senior ranking officer at the precinct house Whitfield is not in the normal chain of command.

Whitfield’s team consist of 4 men: 1 Troll, 2 Orks and a human. All are veteran officers, with experience in combat situations and many are prior military.

Mission: Griggs wants the players to set up Whitfield’s team, and brutally execute them. He also wants them to recover blackmail material from the precinct house they can use to extort Whitfield, and his second in command Sgt. William Fox-who works from the precinct as Whitfield’s hacker/rigger and desk sergeant.

Execution:

Administration and Logistics: Whitfield and his team have homes of record, but all also have a multitude of safe houses and crash pads. They pretty clearly live outside their listed lifestyles. All of them own flashy cars, and clothes. All of them have several mistresses.

Command and Signal:

As you can see my prep work, which I did an hour before game was pretty light. I wish I had a convenient place to store images online, because I'd start linking maps to these threads. every game I write ends up having at least three to six handouts, plus hand drawn maps

So the group consisted of the following Dramatis personæ:

• Maxsym: A paraplegic rigger/hacker who operates remotely-rarely if ever making a personal appearance; who got his start literally playing the massively multiplayer online Shadowrun game, and playing with remote control drones. he has a familial connection to the Vory v Zakone.
  • Spence-our half Japanese gun adept, who doesn't yet realize he has awakened talent, and is still endeavoring to repay the Yakuza for the gambling debts incurred by his now deceased father.
  • Jamie 6-a guest player showed up, and played a Mage! Jamie 6 is a streetwise player, who's been brought in because of the serious nature of the opposition, and the realistic possibility that they have magical back up.

The players were very reluctant to accept this job. Killing cops is never a good idea, and blackmailing them is risky at it's best. But they decide the score is worth too much to pass up, and set about locating everything they can on them. They quickly uncover a series of safe houses used by the officers in question. They hack into the security systems in several of them and set up surveillance. This actually went pretty well for them.

They also set up several search programs and engines to recover whatever public data they could, and in the process discover that the team of crooked cops is assigned to a precinct house that's under reconstruction. Deciding to set up surveillance there too, they decide to disguise themselves as part of the construction crew, and enter on the weekend when traffic for both the few cops assigned there, and the construction team was at it's lightest. However this was also exactly when Whitfield's team, minus him and his second were getting ready to move the money, having found a better place to invest it, and hide it.

The players basically stumble onto this situation, and make a call. Spence and Jamie 6 make their move, supported by what little logistics Maxsym can back them up with. Two of the officers manage to subdue and restrain Spence, but he manages to slip his cuffs and snatches a weapon from one of them. He ends up killing them in the elevator. Jamie 6 has a prolific battle with the other two,and luckily Spence is able to return to help him with the spirit that was also interjected into the combat. The ensuing gun and magic battle ends with all of the cops biting it, but both Jamie 6 and Spence are messed up really good too.

The team recovers the money, and manages to even resist the temptation to skim from it and return it to Griggs. Because of their wounds Griggs offers to take over the rest. It was one part they were FUBARed, but we also ran out of time in the session. So it was the best place to end it.

Paul
Just bumping this up to see if it attracts commentary. Say where'd the other guy go?
Paul
Not even a you suck Paul? Must be doing something right.
Yeah, it's weird. I'd love to hear about other people's runs, to get ideas, and see how other people play the game. I'd like to hear about how other players solve problems, and what kind of problems other GMs present to them. It's weird that more GMs don't share that stuff here: I'd think there'd be a whole forum for it.
Warlordtheft
Paul, sounds like you're doing stuff right to me too. No major player issues, no glaring plot holes yet.
Paul
Thanks. I'm lucky actually-my players make the game. The nice thing about the plot arc so far is that there really isn't a linear path to what I want to do. The next few games I am hoping to cover and address various characters backgrounds. (I have some characters who have debts, and have some assorted histories to be addressed.) And now that have some Karma to burn, and some cash things should get interesting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012